Start 'em young

This is a discussion on Start 'em young within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a Kahr CW9 for a couple of months now and I have come to really like it. It is small, accurate, easy ...

Thread: Start 'em young

Start 'em young

I have owned a Kahr CW9 for a couple of months now and I have come to really like it. It is small, accurate, easy to shoot, and 100% reliable. Now I have another reason to like it. Its small size makes it a good fit for my 10 year-old son's hands.

Were were doing a little target shooting over the weekend. Mostly with a .22 rifle and a .410 shotgun. He's a good shot with both them (brag, brag). I had showed him my new Kahr when I bought it, and he had mentioned that it looked like it was small enough for him to shoot. Well he gave it a try and did really well with it! No trouble hitting an empty 1 gallon paint can at about 20 ft. I only put one round in the magazine each time for safety sake, so it wouldn't reload after he shot.

We had a blast (no pun intended)!

2. Remove Ads

That's really cool. I remember shooting a little colt .22 when I was about 10. Lucky kid to have a dad who spends time with him. My husband is really excited to do the same when our are older. Looks like your gun budget will need an increase!

That's great...I started all three of my kids (son and both daughters) out around guns at an early age. Their comfort level with firearms contributed to their willingness and success in the Army--I always felt like the recruiter owed me a bonus for giving him three sales....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

My father started me in the 2nd grade with a Ruger .22 pistol and the S&W 686 with .38 wadcutters. no 357mag rounds yet...lol.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Thats awesome. My father started me out on a .22 rifle, then at about 6 I graduated to a ruger 22 pistol. I remember it was a big deal to me when I was old enough to shoot the revolvers with .38 wadcutters.

I look forward to doing it with my children in a few years.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Thats awesome. My father started me out on a .22 rifle, then at about 6 I graduated to a ruger 22 pistol. I remember it was a big deal to me when I was old enough to shoot the revolvers with .38 wadcutters.

I look forward to doing it with my children in a few years.
    the mark II target pistol. Fun and cheap ammo
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Started my girls out on BB pistols and then moved to a Ruger MK II. They enjoy going to the range with me on occasion, wish my wife would. It's a little different start than the 10 gauge my Grandfather started me on.

Funny how people can take a different path yet still wind up at the same place. I had never fired a rifle until this summer, never fired a pistol until a month ago. Now I frequent many gun forums, shoot at the 'rents farm every weekend. And consider myself a gun enthusiast after only a few months haha

I started on a .22 bolt winchester, then a .22-250 and when I was about 10 I got to shoot dad's .22 revolver, what a day! I still remember when I was 12 and got my first rifle, a .22. Later on that year I got my first deer rifle, .44 Winchester 94AE.

I can't wait to teach my kids how to shoot, after teaching 2 of my younger brothers. I am going to get an old Stevens pump gallery .22 or a Henry leaver action.

Yep, it's always good to start education on gun safety/use while kids are young and impressionable. My dad wasn't a shooter/hunter, but had friends who did and allowed me to go with them to shoots the range. I went to my first turkey shoot at age 12 (won a turkey BTW), got my first .22 at 14 and never looked back. I introduced all of my kids to shooting when they were 8-10, including my daughter, starting with BB guns, then single shot .22 rifles. In fact, here's a photo taken of one of my son's (he's 8) a few weeks ago... ( NOTE: No actual raccoons were harmed in the shooting of this photo!!)
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Links