Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols - Page 2

Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols

This is a discussion on Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Strikers are fine. I sold all mine and went back to DA/SA....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols

Distinguished Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    Strikers are fine.
    I sold all mine and went back to DA/SA.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Grip, muzzle alignment, trigger control...
    Exactly my thoughts on triggers. If one has a real command of the basics, it doesn't matter what trigger system is pulled by the forefinger. If one doesn't have full command of the basics you listed above, then the problem is correctly identified,

It's the shooters lack of the basics. Like I said, hand me a gun, any gun, lets get to shooting. I found the DA/SA guns to take longer to master the trigger control, but only until I got a case of ammo through it, then it might as well have been a striker fired or SA trigger.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

My Shield 9 is the only striker fired pistol I have. I don't dislike the trigger mechanism though...it feels somewhat similar to pulling a revolver trigger in double action mode. A DA/SA in SA is always going to feel better though.

The #1- hands down- best pistol trigger pulls I have in my collection are my Kimber Tactical Custom II and
    my S&W 586, which got a trigger & spring kit installed when I purchased it back in the early 80's.

I'd smooth out the trigger on my Shield but I just don't feel like taking it apart! lol...

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

As long as a gun has a trigger I'm good!!
    AzQkr, Mike1956, Remy and 1 others like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I suppose that I will be the odd man out on this thread. My preference on triggers goes in this order:

• Single Action - I prefer the 1911-style of single action most of all for its light and crisp break, with just a hint of a take-up. I am most accurate with this style as a shooter, and for pure target work, the 1911 is my go-to handgun.
    • Striker Fired - There are various types of Striker fired triggers, but I prefer one with a noticeable, but smooth take-up (for safety) and a nice light/crisp break. This is how I rework all of my M&P's, and it is my preferred style of trigger for carry, since my accuracy is not far off that of a 1911, and there is a cushion of pre-travel to err on the side of safety.
    • DA/SA - I don't really mind the nature of the duality of a DA/SA trigger, but I have never been as consistent in terms of accuracy with this style trigger, and I have had and shot many over the years.
    • Double Action - This is my least favorite style of trigger, as it takes a completely different trigger pull to master. I have learned to stage many DA trigger types, but have never had felt that I was reaching my accuracy potential. I suppose that if the triggers above were not so much easier to master, then I might have gotten better with DA.

These are just my preferences, but I would agree that anyone can become a great shooter with any trigger, given enough practice and experience.
    Dave909, AzQkr and flintlock62 like this.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

At the advent of Glock, I did not immediately acquire one until the Gen3. The first center fire semiautomatic pistol that I fired was the 1911A1 at Parris Island for familiarization. DA/SA, SIG and S&W. My carry rotation is limited to S&W MP9&9c and on rear occasions a S&W M640 38Spl. At this point I have a preference for striker fired semiautomatic pistols as opposed to SA and SA/DA pistols.
    AzQkr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Variety is the spice of life.....I have a few of each....why not?
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Master what you carry. Enjoy the rest!
    AzQkr, flintlock62 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ~ Abraham Lincoln

I don't really have an issue with striker fire guns anymore. But I do most times carry a da/sa Sig. I have more of an issue warming up to polymer guns. With that said I do right now have my PPS .40 on me. Just felt like going light today. If this little fella had a alloy frame I could see it move way up on my list. Heck one day I might just need to suck it up and get a 239.
    I like the .40 .

Quote Originally Posted by philly01 View Post
    Curious if anyone else feels as I do. I keep trying to adopt striker fired pistols but find my way back to my DA/SA pistols. Mostly Sig and HK. I find the SA trigger on these pistols far better than any striker fired pistol. And something about the "feel"'of DA/SA gives me greater confidence. And for defensive use I do like the heavier DA first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If DA/SA gives you greater confidence, run with it. Train to identify how to best use it for your purposes, practice regularly to build memory and lock in the training, and be proficient with it. There's nothing wrong with sticking to one type if that's your preference.

Me, I like them all. Getting proficient shooting a tiny BG380 DAO with horrendous trigger (relative to nearly any 1911) has probably improved my shooting skills on all the rest. That doesn't mean I think everyone should get and carry a BG380.
    AzQkr and helderberg like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I like both and carry both.

I know police in Minneapolis have to choose striker or hammer "platforms" to cover both duty and backup/CC guns. So, for instance, if they carry a DA/SA auto as a duty gun, they can't carry a Shield as a BUG. If forced to choose so, I'd probably go with hammers.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Variety is the spice of life.....I have a few of each....why not?
    I agree. I attempt not to be one dimensional. I own a P30s, P99, M&P , and P226R. I wish I had my Security Six back. Train with a single platform, limited. Train with various platforms, mind opening.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    NRA Lifetime member

"A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Hand me a gun, any gun, and lets get to shooting.

NOW we're talking !
    AzQkr and bmcgilvray like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
    I think that part of it is scaremongering by mainstream gun media, instructors and the fear of the court system. People get afraid they'll be labeled as someone who purposely intended to harm by "taking the time" to cock a hammer (which takes less time than running away and getting shot in the back) instead of just pulling the gun and pulling the trigger in a hurry as you're evidently supposed to do when threatened and scared according to the anti-cocking crowds. I call it absolute bulls***, but I guarantee you that opinion will get poo-pooed straight away by a whole lot of people.
    When I was in my early twenties the only handgun I owned and carried was a Ruger single six. I got so I was pretty quick shooting Grouse in the woods with that gun. I was even pretty effective "fanning" that six shooter.
    I couldn't help but think of all those people that defended themselves with single action revolvers for so long. Not saying I would recommend today but, your post just reminded me I have gotten a little spoiled by superior firearms today.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
    I think that part of it is scaremongering by mainstream gun media, instructors and the fear of the court system. People get afraid they'll be labeled as someone who purposely intended to harm by "taking the time" to cock a hammer (which takes less time than running away and getting shot in the back) instead of just pulling the gun and pulling the trigger in a hurry as you're evidently supposed to do when threatened and scared according to the anti-cocking crowds. I call it absolute bulls***, but I guarantee you that opinion will get poo-pooed straight away by a whole lot of people.
    Cocking the hammer was strictly prohibited for leo's after a time when that habit was creating perps being shot by ND's on the streets.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links