Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols

This is a discussion on Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious if anyone else feels as I do. I keep trying to adopt striker fired pistols but find my way back to my DA/SA pistols. ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: Hard time warming up to striker fired pistols

Curious if anyone else feels as I do. I keep trying to adopt striker fired pistols but find my way back to my DA/SA pistols. Mostly Sig and HK. I find the SA trigger on these pistols far better than any striker fired pistol. And something about the "feel"'of DA/SA gives me greater confidence. And for defensive use I do like the heavier DA first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also feel as you do. Overall, I just find the DA/SA pistols more comfortable than the striker fired ones. Not saying there's anything inherently wrong with the striker pistols at all, just my personal preference.
    Mike1956 and BuckJM53 like this.

Different strokes.......

It's great to have so many choices!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy."

Joe Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Go with what you know, and what you like.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

I personally think people stress over triggers way too much for defensive carry guns. That said, carry what you like and call it good. I think anyone here can become proficient with any handgun made be it a 12 pound revolver trigger or a 5 pound striker regardless of all this hand ringing over triggers, grip angles,sights and anything else we think we know better than the engineers who designed these things.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Sponsor
    Hand me a gun, any gun, and lets get to shooting.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Eh, I can take them or leave them really. I have a few in EDC lineup. I can appreciate what they've done for advancements in technology. I will say I trust my hammers over my strikers more, but that's simply my own feelings. I like triggers on hammer-fired weapons more, regardless of the "consistent" (meaning if it sucks on the first pull, it'll suck on the last) trigger pull on a striker. The only downside to hammer-fired pistols are they they tend to be heavier both in weight and trigger pull (some SA/DA triggers are god awful in DA, but you always have the SA option), and you can get crap inside the pistol more (maintain it and, if going out in really rough stuff, use a flap holster).

There's always going to be two camps and schools of thought, luckily you can have both types of weapons.
    Bacon likes this.

Are you gona bring the BOOLETS?!!!!!!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I personally think people stress over triggers way too much for defensive carry guns.
    I think that part of it is scaremongering by mainstream gun media, instructors and the fear of the court system. People get afraid they'll be labeled as someone who purposely intended to harm by "taking the time" to cock a hammer (which takes less time than running away and getting shot in the back) instead of just pulling the gun and pulling the trigger in a hurry as you're evidently supposed to do when threatened and scared according to the anti-cocking crowds. I call it absolute bulls***, but I guarantee you that opinion will get poo-pooed straight away by a whole lot of people.
    bmcgilvray and forester58 like this.

As others have said, we're all different in our preferences and what works best for us. Thanks goodness for SO MANY good options! I'm pretty much the opposite of the OP. I've tried to warm up to the DA/SA guns (particularly Sigs - love the way they look!), and I just can't shoot them as well as I can striker fired guns or 1911's. So I major on the strikers and the 1911's and keep a couple of Sigs around just to take to the range every now and then. Find what works best for you, go with it, don't look back, and don't feel like you have to justify your choice to anyone.

I have 3 Glocks at one point, sold them all, then tried to give em a shot again and sold them all. I just don't like them, I can't shoot them well so off to the Classifieds they went. As far as Handuns I'm strictly a Revolver, 1911 and SIG DA/SA guy now. I can shoot ALL of them equally well. My SIG M11-A1 is by far one of the best 9mm's I've shot.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    S&W M&P 45, Colt Delta Elite Customized, M&P Shield, Glock 19

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Hand me a gun, any gun, and lets get to shooting.
    Perhaps this would be a good thread to explain the "big deal" of "striker versus hammer" fired handguns. This issue seems to loom large in the minds of many shooters.

I'm a huge fan of most hammer-fired pistol designs, loving the 1911 gun, the High-Power, the CZ 75, and others, but can't gen up any angst over the striker-fired feature of other handguns. I have some issues with other aspects of some striker-fired pistols, but not the feature itself.
    Mike1956, OD*, AzQkr and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like both, but rarely carry a striker fired anymore. I would in a heartbeat though, if I needed to.............

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philly01 View Post
    Curious if anyone else feels as I do. I keep trying to adopt striker fired pistols but find my way back to my DA/SA pistols. Mostly Sig and HK. I find the SA trigger on these pistols far better than any striker fired pistol. And something about the "feel"'of DA/SA gives me greater confidence. And for defensive use I do like the heavier DA first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was right there with you, until I shot a P320.
    AzQkr likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Grip, muzzle alignment, trigger control...
    mhl6493, AzQkr and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links