XD, Glock, and M&P .45 and .40

This is a discussion on XD, Glock, and M&P .45 and .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what do you think the advantages are between them In your opinion? thnaks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD, Glock, and M&P .45 and .40

XD, Glock, and M&P .45 and .40

what do you think the advantages are between them In your opinion?

thnaks

2. Remove Ads

I love the fullsize (Commander length) M&P .40.
    It will be the next pistol I buy toward CCW.
    In my hand it's crazy accurate right out the box.

I've tried the M&P 45 twice, and did not like it.
    I didn't care for the M&P 9 either neither in fullsize nor compact.
    I train at the S&W Training Center range and the S&W Academy and have had much hands on experience with the plastic M&P line up including in a combat course. Handsdown in my own hands the M&P .40 is the **** in compact or fullsize. I prefer the fullsize.
    Also the M&P 45 is a big gun. Might as well go with a full size 1911 or the original Glock 45. For civilian street use I don't see the point of it. , and I've been a fan of the M&P line since they debuted it.

Haven't ever had opportunity to shoot or even borrow an XD.
    I've yet to even see one on a person at a range be it here in MA or in VA.
    I find that odd considering how crazy popular they are in the market.
    I've been looking out for one and will continue to do so.

Glock I've never liked only due to it's grip does not in my hand feel natural.
    The fullsized models are generally too big for my hand and the compacts have been too abrupt.
    I do like their stock sights though, and hell everybody knows they as dependable as moms love.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I like the Glocks, 100 % reliable and solid. I never shot the MP, but I've held one. Feels good, and has the interchangeable grip options for a more custom fit. But I'm very happy with my ( 4 ) Glocks .40's and 9mm's and shoot them all well. .45's are bit too wide in the grip for me. XD was a also a good gun, shot it well too, not enough to sway me to trade in my Glocks. Some folks like the fact XD has a grip safety. I'm confident my Glock will not go bang UNLESS I pull the trigger and I can handle it safely without the need for a grip safety.

Glock has a wide variety of add ons , although I suspect the others will also have more and more coming out in the after market as more guns get into circulation and increase the demand.and

The only way to know what will or won't work for you is the handle the guns you are considering and see what feels and shoots best in your hands. Best way, if possible to to find a shop that has all three and compare them side by side, hopefully even get to shoot them. They may have a rental gun available, or a shooter a the the range willing to let you try their gun.
    Last edited by sass20485; October 9th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.

I was able to shoot both the M&P and the XD side by side and at the time was impressed with the M&P. After some time, research and shooting the Glock I choose the Glock. Personally, I like the capacity, feel, and reliability of Glock. How can you go wrong with a company that has the track record the Glock has.

After I added my first Glock, I've added another Glock, and will most likely buy another Glock as my next gun.

Shoot them all for yourself.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I had a lot of experience with Glocks and XDs but looked at them even closer when making a new purchase last year. I checked out the M&P as an after thought and I'm sure glad I did. I fell in love with it right away.

Glocks are unquestionably reliable, but the grip angle and overall ergos really turned me off. The XD was better in the ergo department but I really didn't like the trigger. The M&P did everything those other two pistols could do, but did it better IMO.

It feels great while shooting, has a low bore axis, interchangeable backstraps, ambi slide release, better trigger (which can easily be made even better), and available in different configurations. I now have two - a compact and a fullsize. I carry the compact every day.

I just got back from the range with my M&P Compact 40.

Let's just say I don't miss my old Glock 27.

My next purchase will be an M&P 40 full size. The only Glock I have now is the one that is issued to me, a Glock 22. I never carry it, except when I have to on duty. It's simple and reliable, I've never had any problems with it. I'd just rather have a pistol that actually feels good in my hand, and is a joy to shoot. And for me, that's the M&P!

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

XD = the best Glock ever made.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    XD = the best Glock ever made.
    +1.

Better grip angle.

Same reliability.

Same price/better sights.

better safety funcions,and features.

Easier to disasemble.

etc..etc..

But if you can't come to the light,its O.K. ,glock and M&P will still get the job done. I don't think you can go wrong with any, go out and hold some,shoot some different ones. What caliber are you looking for? What size barrel? To conceal ,mainly?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

+1 for the XD..

Agreed with everything Ghettokracker71

Except for the Ron Paul ad in his signature..

All three are good guns, however. I've shot all three and just liked the XD best. Go shoot them all and see what feels right for you.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoski View Post
    +1 for the XD..

Agreed with everything Ghettokracker71

Except for the Ron Paul ad in his signature..

All three are good guns, however. I've shot all three and just liked the XD best. Go shoot them all and see what feels right for you.
    we can't all be perfect

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Im completely opposite, i personally dislike XD's, All the extra safety features aren't necessary to people with good trigger discipline. Along with the higher bore axis that makes the gun more flippy, but thats a personal preference.

XD= Croatian wannabe Glock, with answers to problems that never existed
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Im completely opposite, i personally dislike XD's, All the extra safety features aren't necessary to people with good trigger discipline. Along with the higher bore axis that makes the gun more flippy, but thats a personal preference.

XD= Croatian wannabe Glock, with answers to problems that never existed
    Finally, in a fairly unbiased flame-free thread, one of the Glock Fanboys show up. Saying the XD is a Glock wannabe would in turn make any polymer framed pistol a wannabe.

I prefer the XD, but I don't mind Glock's. I have not had the chance to try out the M&P line

Administrator
    I do not think that the XD is a Croatian wannabe Glock.
    And certainly the XD is ergonomically superior. My personal opinion.
    That being said GotSig has a right to his personal opinion and it was presented without shouting Buy A Glock.
    I agree with butstock that there is no need to start pushing any envelopes and members should try to be respectful of other forum members and not bash firearms that they know other members own, use, carry, and are perfectly satisfied with.

Know in advance that some broadbrush statements (and the manner in which they are worded) will provoke negative reactions in other members and that is how flame fests begin.
    Keep it good natured as we're all on the same side of the fence.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I would pick the XD first and the M&P 2nd. Simply my preference and, well, preferences are like opinions and opinions are like rearends, everyone has one and they usually stink.

I wouldn't buy a Glock. Not because they are unreliable, inaccurate or short on features, those aren't necessarily good reasons to base a purchase on. I wouldn't buy one because I have yet to hold one that felt comfortable in my hands. Again a preference thing.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by buttstock View Post
    Finally, in a fairly unbiased flame-free thread, one of the Glock Fanboys show up. Saying the XD is a Glock wannabe would in turn make any polymer framed pistol a wannabe.

I prefer the XD, but I don't mind Glock's. I have not had the chance to try out the M&P line
    This was a response to the XD fanboy comment "XD-the best glock ever made"
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links