Suprising Conclusion

This is a discussion on Suprising Conclusion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range on sunday, brought the whole arsenal with me along with 2 rifles my buddy wanted me to sight in. At the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suprising Conclusion

Suprising Conclusion

Went to the range on sunday, brought the whole arsenal with me along with 2 rifles my buddy wanted me to sight in. At the 10 yard range, i was shooting my sig and the kahr as usual, and decided to whip out my new little j frame. Loaded up 5 rounds, pulled the trigger, chewed the x out. Brought it out to 25 yards and i was still actually holding better groups with the smith then i do with my Sig. I think im switching over to revolvers for carry. Anyone else shoot revolvers better?
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

2. Remove Ads

Anyone else shoot revolvers better?
    Yes, as well or better. At 25 yards with my 640 .357, my groups are about 3-4", occasionally less. That's slow, aimed fire, though, with .38s.

And, to be fair, I don't have any Les Baers or Wilsons, etc., so maybe things would change if I spent some money.

Incidentally, what model is your J-frame and what size were your groups with it at 25 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Anyone else shoot revolvers better?
    There's a real nice young lady who shoots a 7 shot Smith at our steel plate shoots. She's really good. So is her husband. They're also good with semi-autos. She seems to prefer the revolver, though. One of them is usually the winner (although, awhile back, I beat both of them and won the match. A fluke, to be sure). I fired her revolver and it just seems to me that it would take a lot of practice to get good with one. I'll know more after my SP101 gets in

Cloudpeak

Administrator
    Some people feel like a nut, some dont.

Everybody is different, and I wouldnt discount one or the other until you give each types a try. I shoot revolvers poorly, but do well with a auto.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I didn't measure my group but it was all on a 8 inch shoot-n-c round target, so im going to say roughly 5-6 inches. The Smith is a model 38 bodyguard airweight. I was only able to keep the Sig right at 8 inches, 1 shot was just on paper.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Do you have small hands? Maybe the grip on the revolver fits better for your hands?

VIP Member
    I shoot revolvers better- particularly my 66. However, the lower capacity and the fact that I am less than fast reloading with speed loaders (and don't even want to talk about my speed with speed strips), I usually carry a Sig. 15 rounds of 9mm followed quickly by 15 more may not usually be needed, but I'd hate to have a gun with 5 or 6 shots and then a slow reload if the S really did HTF.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Hmm,I think I am opposite. Last time I shot my brothers .38 Special Smith revolver, I couldn't hit squat,soon as I switched back to my .40S&W auto, I was blowing the center out.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator
    Carry what you shoot best.
    Most folks are more accurate with a semi-pistol than a DA wheel gun but, everybody is different.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I frequently shoot my GP 100 better than all of my pistols, except my SA Loaded Operator.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I carry and shoot revolvers more than autoloaders.

The reason is, I shoot revolvers better. In a "Defensive" scenario I see nothing wrong with 5-7 rounds, as long as I have a BUG.

I find that revolvers point better, are easier to maintain and more reliable for me. That is why I carry the "peashooter" that I do. Also, I like to shoot a lot and hate picking up brass scattered all over the place. The revolver allows you to "dump" the brass in a specific location, thereby making it easier when you go to "clean up" and pick up your brass.

OK, it's late and I'm rambling, Goodnight.

Biker

I've always been partial to auto loaders, but I never have shot them very well (pistols, anyway). I shoot my revolvers much better than any of my bottom feeders. Don't know why, but I quit fighting it some time back. I am getting very comfortable with large frame smiths. I recently picked up a colt detective spl, and darned if I don't shoot that one pretty good, as well.

I'm down to a P3AT for when I can't carry anything else, a full size springer loaded (just gotta have one 1911), and a .22 buckmark. I'll keep these, but probably won't be buying any more auto loaders.

Now I need to pick up some snake guns, and perhaps a few more N frames... My dealer has a 327 "Jerry Miculek" PC that has been screaming to me to take it home, and I really need a .500S&W in my safe... Moving towards wheel guns sure ain't saving me any money :O
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Double or single action?

Neither the original poster or others here have brought up the question of whether we are talking about shooting double or single action. There is a big difference in accuracy between a long 12 pound trigger pull and a short 4 pound trigger pull.

The original poster showed that his J frame was an all steel Bodyguard model, which can be thumb cocked. I will guess that his good shooting at a distance was slow fire with thumb cocking of the hammer, since he didn't mention otherwise.

I have quite a few semiautos and revolvers, in various sizes, weights, barrel lengths and trigger types. Assuming a quality gun and ammo, I have always found that my best groups at any distance are with the heaviest gun, the longest barrel, adjustable sights, and the lightest trigger pull. The heavy gun with light trigger has the most inertia and will "stay put" on target better, with less movement during the trigger pull.

In my case, the most challenging gun for me to shoot well is an airweight J frame snubby .38 with double action only trigger, the S&W model 642 - it moves all over the place while pulling that long, heavy trigger.

My best accuracy is with my old S&W model 27, which is a very heavy steel N frame .357 revolver having an 8-3/8 inch barrel. With thumb cocking it has a single action trigger that breaks at about 3 pounds. It just doesn't move when you trigger the shot.

It was DA at 10 yards and SA at 25, but my Sig is a DA/SA so after the first shot i have a nice, crisp SA trigger on both. I need to go back out and see if it was just a fluke.
    كافر(Infidel)

pogo2 wrote:

There is a big difference in accuracy between a long 12 pound trigger pull and a short 4 pound trigger pull.
    Yes, very true. When shooting for accuracy with my Centennial J-frames like the 640 .357 I mentioned in post #2, I always stage the trigger (tell me if I'm using the term wrongly), pulling through the long hammer-cocking sequence until I feel the bolt engage the cylinder notch. I then fire the shot in what is essentially single-action mode, with only about 4 pounds pressure needed to squeeze it off. Works very well. Not what you'd call a combat skill, however.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links