Not that anyone asked, but since I already went through the trouble. - Page 2

Not that anyone asked, but since I already went through the trouble.

This is a discussion on Not that anyone asked, but since I already went through the trouble. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think I would just buy a 2nd Makarov....not a thing wrong with it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not that anyone asked, but since I already went through the trouble.

Think I would just buy a 2nd Makarov....not a thing wrong with it.

That's a thought Monty but

...he wants something that offers a little more oomph than his 9x18 catridge.

The Makarov was the preferred weapon of our enemy for decades. I wouldn't write it off so quickly. No, it's no .45 ACP. But for less than $200 out the door with a box of ammo, it truly is the People's CCW.

The Communist Bloc is great for all sorts of weapons. My deer rifle is a Mosin-Nagant. My woods gun when I'm off working on my rural property in vicinity of feral dogs, coyote, black bears, and moonshiners is an SKS. And my main CCW piece is a Makarov.

A lot of people would be very surprised by how many people CCW Makarovs. My first carry gun was a Bulgarian Makarov, which now lives on my nightstand. My current primary carry (FEG SMC-918) uses the same 9x18 round, but in a smaller and lighter package than a Makarov.

The round is certainly no .45, but I wouldn't call it anemic either. The main thing that Maks have going for them, besides their price obviously, is their reliablity. They are also very accurate, pleasant to shoot, and ammo is quite cheap.

As a matter of fact, I'm picking up my second Makarov this week, this one a Russian Hi-cap model.

Now all we need is for Cor-Bon to get there heads out from where the sun don't shine and bring out that 9x18 PowRBall they've been promising! So long as they load it just like the discontinued 9x18 JHP's were.........
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

I was at the range today with my "cheap" Makarov and allowed three other people to shoot it (who had brought a Taurus and an H&K) and they were impressed with the accuracy, but rightfully criticized the sights and recoil. They nearly shat their pants when I told them how much it cost me.

9x18 is not a .45, you're right. But it's no joke. With a decent personal defense round, it'll do just fine.

You guys are missing the point though...

He already has, loves, and shoots a Makarov.

He wants to expand. I think what he's considering is a really great way to complement what he already has.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with my Marlin Model 60, it's inexpensive and wonderful and well made. And I feel I could ruin a goblin's day with it when I put 6-7 recoilless shots in his eye socket, but the next time I buy a Marlin rifle I want to go up to something a little more powerful in their product line.

He's not abandoning his Mak he just wants something else to go with it. I carry two completely different guns myself. I understand where he's coming from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links