Walther P99

Walther P99

This is a discussion on Walther P99 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you can tell, I am a huge Walther P99 fan. In my opinion, It is one of the best pistols on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther P99

Walther P99

As many of you can tell, I am a huge Walther P99 fan. In my opinion, It is one of the best pistols on the market. I just wanted to see how many of you out there own this fine pistol. Also, if you do not own one, feel free to talk about why. Thanks.

Administrator
    Why I dont own one... its failure rate is higher than the industry benchmarks set by Glock and Sig. Spare parts and mags are tough to find sometimes, as are holsters.

Not that its a bad gun, its just not my first choice. Or second or third for that matter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by P991911 View Post
    Also, if you do not own one, feel free to talk about why. Thanks.
    I don't own one because the guy over on Walther Forums that is selling his never responds to any posts!!!

;-)

I shot the .22 version- jammed like a mo fo! Also- 1 year warranty vs. lifetime for HK.

Lead Moderator
    I own a HK USP, so have no need for another semi auto similar to it. Also my buddy experienced 2 problems with his. Cap springs failed(what the factory said) rendering the gun jammed half open, then he had a AD he swears he was not touching the trigger.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I have a 2005-made (with light rail and old-style mag release) P99 QA Titanium in .40 S&W, pre-2005 (no light rail) P99 AS Military in 9mm, and a P99 AS Compact also in 9mm.

Fine guns...the Compact is my favorite.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    A P99 was my first pistol and I really like it. Fits me like a glove. I've shot about 2500 rounds through it over the past 6 months without any problems at all. I've only cleaned it twice. I think its a great gun.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I owned one several years ago, a P99 QA .40, loved it. It felt right in my hands and shot really well. Then one day at the range, I was using some cheap Wolf ammo(never again ) and I got a overcharged round that split the casing, bent/broke the extractor and appeared to damage other parts. Parts flew out of the gun! Scared the crap out of me. The slide refused to move. I had to send it in for repairs with the casing still in the gun. After a couple of weeks, got it back, but it was not fixed. They did not fix what was causing the slide to hang, tho it would sometimes work now. Again was sent for repairs, this time they fixed it. I traded it soon after for an XDSC .40, I just did not trust it anymore. I would buy one again, just never Wolf ammo.

Ron
    I have a P99c with over 600 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. It fits my hand and is more accurate then I could ever hope to be. Great carry gun.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Walther P99 comments

Quote Originally Posted by P991911 View Post
    Also, if you do not own one, feel free to talk about why.
    When this gun first came on the market about 10 years ago I was very interested in it. I handled a couple of them at the gun store and the ergonomics were excellent - it fit my hand much better than my Glock 19. It seemed to improve upon the Glock in several respects, and was priced about the same.

One day I rented a 9mm P99 at the range and had problems with the gun. It seemed to jam about once per magazine. Finally I took it back to the counter and exchanged it for some other brand of rental 9mm. Although I realize that this may not be typical of the gun, the experience reduced my desire to buy a P99.

Then I bought a couple of H&K USPs which seemed to be superior to the P99 in many ways, and forgot about buying a P99.

The P99 is, to me, like a beautiful, exotic Sports Car. Fun to look-at & enjoy the handling, but day-in-day-out...there are too many less "high strung" alternatives to make it a viable partner.

My ugly GLOCK G19 doesn't fit my hand as well, nor does it draw any gee-whiz comments at the range...but it's the Toyota of Compact CCW handguns.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I don't have one. My son recently picked up one in 9mm. Shoots like a dream. Fits the hand very well. It has the extra back straps. Very nice pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    I shot the .22 version- jammed like a mo fo! Also- 1 year warranty vs. lifetime for HK.
    The P22 is a completely different design. Apples vs. Oranges IMO, other than looks, you can't really draw any true comparisons between the P22 and P99. They are different sizes, calibers, & firing mechanisms. Maybe the mag release is in the same spot, but since the overall size is different the ease of it's use may vary.

You are right about the warranty though.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I have a P99 Compact....Love it!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I've used the SW 99 for several years as a duty weapon. Never had any problem with it. The only thing that may replace it is the M&P 40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links