SA 1911 lightweight compact

This is a discussion on SA 1911 lightweight compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yay new handgun day today. I finally found the 1911 I have been looking for been looking for one for the last 4 months or ...

Yay new handgun day today. I finally found the 1911 I have been looking for been looking for one for the last 4 months or so. It will do nicely for conceal and carry. This one fits all the requirements I needed

-Officer's frame
    -Aluminum
    -Bull Barrel with ramp so it can feed hollow points more reliably.

Not to bad for $525, plus the holster is a milt sparks so that knocks the price of the gun down even more.. All I had to do was meet a guy in a parking lot, show him my conceal permit and hand him the cash. I may send it to the custom shop for some trigger work but I am debating whether or not to replace the rear sight with a non dotted site.

Also I was messing around with it cycling last night and I got some fail to ejects on full rounds and it would fully jam the gun. Basically the round would hit the front part of the ejection port as it did not have enough clearance on it. I will take it to the range this weekend to see if I can duplicate it more.

VIP Member
    Nice gun....I almost purchased a steel-framed, factory "custom" version of the gun a few years back in NJ. Didn't 'cause I think those "Commander slide/Officer's ACP frame" guns are handier with an alloy frame.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Live fire is the best test...

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    Also I was messing around with it cycling last night and I got some fail to ejects on full rounds and it would fully jam the gun. Basically the round would hit the front part of the ejection port as it did not have enough clearance on it. I will take it to the range this weekend to see if I can duplicate it more.
    Perhaps this is not a problem. In normal usage the gun will only have to eject fired cases, which are much smaller and lighter weight than fully loaded rounds.

All I had to do was meet a guy in a parking lot, show him my conceal permit and hand him the cash.
    That would appear to be a nice gun for carry, but the above quote worries me. No transfer?? Hopefully there is more to the story than that, otherwise something seems a little shady.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    That would appear to be a nice gun for carry, but the above quote worries me. No transfer?? Hopefully there is more to the story than that, otherwise something seems a little shady.
    Why would it be shady, its just a private transfer. I purchased it off of gunbroker and met the guy face to face. Nothing shady about it really.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Perhaps this is not a problem. In normal usage the gun will only have to eject fired cases, which are much smaller and lighter weight than fully loaded rounds.
    I thought the same thing to but then I realized what happens if I get a dud and I have to cycle the action.

Why would it be shady, its just a private transfer. I purchased it off of gunbroker and met the guy face to face. Nothing shady about it really.
    Well, that little bit of information makes things different.

I have a problem ejecting when I'm hand cycling my Loaded Champ as well. I don't have the problem during live fire but I can't say whether or not it will happen if you're trying to clear a failure to fire. I've never had that problem come up.

I thought the same thing to but then I realized what happens if I get a dud and I have to cycle the action.
    C'mon!!! It's a Springer, when you pull the trigger it goes BANG!!!!! Just buy good ammo!!!!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

When cleariing a misfire, using a quick twist of the wrist, rotate the pistol clockwise as you pull back the slide. The ejection port will be directed down. Inerta and gravity will clear the unfired round from the action.
    str1

JEC
    .... All I had to do was meet a guy in a parking lot, show him my conceal permit and hand him the cash....
    A parking lot sale! What difference would a LTCF make? Why no firearms transfer?

(edit) stgdz, sorry I did not see post #5 where this was explained.

Jack

Good luck with the Champion. I bought one used six months ago with a ton of ftf's from my first outing. Probably why the pistol was traded in. Springfield's customer service was awesome. Reimbursed for the shipping on the back end, fixed the problem and wasn't happy with the finish when the saw it, so they called and asked if the could refinish the frame while they had it. It has shot like a champ.(no pun intended) since. If your problem persist, use the warranty, they will fix it.

I have a Springfield LW Compact just like yours .I gave $450 for mine at Cabelas.That was for the gun only and 1 mag . I really like mine and have about 150 rounds of Mag Tech 230 hardball through it with not one hitch.I would probably have shot it more but I bought a XD 45 4inch service model about 2weeks after the compact so I have to trade off.Contact Springfield for a free owners manual.I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster for mine.
    Ron

Lead Moderator
    I love my SA Champ LW. It has become my EDC.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

got a chance to fire it this weekend and has a good amount of muzzle flip and recoil to it with 230 grain. Its so darn small though and just a joy to carry.

Very accurate also.

Links