Revolver As Primary Carry Gun (Non Snub Nose)

This is a discussion on Revolver As Primary Carry Gun (Non Snub Nose) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here carry a non snub nose revolver as their primary carry gun? If so, how do you carry it(OWB or IWB)? If IWB, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver As Primary Carry Gun (Non Snub Nose)

Revolver As Primary Carry Gun (Non Snub Nose)

Does anyone here carry a non snub nose revolver as their primary carry gun? If so, how do you carry it(OWB or IWB)? If IWB, what holster do you use so that it is not uncomfortable, given the width of the cylinder?

Thanks.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

I carry a 4" N-Frame as my Primary when I'm Off-Duty.

Right now I'm using a Matt Del Fatti OWB, but will be switching to an IWB in December. The December Holster will be a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. If you buy your pants 1"-2" larger in the waist and use a good Belt/Holster you shouldn't have a problem with a large gun carried IWB. I've been doing it for 20+ years.

I've got some time before I get my Del Fatti IWB. Packing a big gun is easy if you use good gear and "dress around the gun".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Does anyone here carry a non snub nose revolver as their primary carry gun?
    Ron
    Yes, I do. I've always carried OWB using holsters that snug the gun into my body. I have, however, recently ordered a holster from Fist that can be used IWB or OWB. I have several auto loaders that I like carrying IWB and don't see why it won't work as well with a large revolver with appropriate clothing. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it with my GP100.

Often carry a revolver

I will frequently carry a revolver instead of my usual 1911. My favorite for this purpose is a S&W model 66 snubby in .357 magnum, loaded with 6 rounds of Remington 125 grain Golden Saber ammo. I also carry 6 more rounds in a speed strip in my pocket. I carry in an OWB holster made by PWL (Price Western Leather), an English company with a distributor in Atlanta. This holster (shown below) carries the gun high on the belt and tucked tight into my side so it prints less than any semiauto I have. I think the narrow, curved grip of a revolver is much easier to conceal than the straight, angled grip of a semiauto.

I have practiced quite a bit with this gun and am confident of my ability to hit a target in double action and get off several shots in a short time. I also feel that .357 magnum will stop a threat as well as .40 or .45 caliber. I believe that 6 shots with no possibility of jamming is adequate to handle 99% of the situations I might encounter as a civilian defending himself. Here is the gun and the holster:

33.333 % of the time
    Guns don't kill people , compounded interest kills people

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I will frequently carry a revolver instead of my usual 1911. My favorite for this purpose is a S&W model 66 snubby in .357 magnum, loaded with 6 rounds of Remington 125 grain Golden Saber ammo. I also carry 6 more rounds in a speed strip in my pocket. I carry in an OWB holster made by PWL (Price Western Leather), an English company with a distributor in Atlanta. This holster (shown below) carries the gun high on the belt and tucked tight into my side so it prints less than any semiauto I have. I think the narrow, curved grip of a revolver is much easier to conceal than the straight, angled grip of a semiauto.

I have practiced quite a bit with this gun and am confident of my ability to hit a target in double action and get off several shots in a short time. I also feel that .357 magnum will stop a threat as well as .40 or .45 caliber. I believe that 6 shots with no possibility of jamming is adequate to handle 99% of the situations I might encounter as a civilian defending himself. Here is the gun and the holster:

That's sweeet Pogo.

I carry a J-Frame as my primary. I carry mine in a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB. I find it very comfortable and if I wear it in the 3 o'clock position it doesn't matter how I move or what I am doing it will not print. I love this set up.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    I occasionally carry a 66 in a Desantis Invisible Agent- usually it rides OWB if I tote it along though.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    Pogo, what is the name of your grips? They look great.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have done so in the past, with up to and including an N-frame, an S&W M58 .41 mag, IWB, in a no-longer-produced Desantis universal rig made of soft leather straps adjusted with velcro. Hey, I was flat broke back then, as a rookie cop in the 1980's, so it was cheap holster or no holster. I preferred to carry my duty sixgun, rather than my back-up J-frame. More recently, I carried 4" K-frames in a Milt Sparks 200AW in the 1990's, these being my duty sixguns at that time. Presently, it is occasionally, but not daily, that I carry a 4" Ruger Speed Six in a Milt Sparks PMK. More often, I wear an SP101 snubby, and carry a 4" GP100 in a Safepacker from The Wilderness.

VIP Member
    S&W 3" N-Frames. I use an OWB holster that was sold with the Lew Horton package in the mid-1980s.

I have also carried my 4" 686 OWB.

I found with both of these a good belt made for carrying is required. I use the Galco belts which are canted in on the top to hold the holster in tight.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Hogue Bantam

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Pogo, what is the name of your grips? They look great.
    My grips are Hogue Bantam, which cost about $14 on Ebay. They are one piece hard rubber molded on a plastic frame and clamp onto the frame without a screw. Hogue makes them for J and K frame S&W revolvers. They are good for carry because they are designed to be compact and just give you a three finger grip on the front, but only extend as far as the frame in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    My grips are Hogue Bantam, which cost about $14 on Ebay. They are one piece hard rubber molded on a plastic frame and clamp onto the frame without a screw. Hogue makes them for J and K frame S&W revolvers. They are good for carry because they are designed to be compact and just give you a three finger grip on the front, but only extend as far as the frame in the back.
    Pogo: I have the Bantam on my 686. I like them but would like to put on some wooden stocks. My question is, how are the Bantams removed? There are no screws. Do you just pry them off?

Thanks for all of the input.I think that I will just stick with my S&W 642 and P99c semi-automatic. Seems like too much trouble to go with a bigger revolver.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I carry a ruger GP100 in an OWB holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links