Defensive Carry banner

New sig's and favorite carry

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  nicolasrichards 
#1 ·
Well folks, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I am a 1911 lover and always will be, but I have found a new love when it comes to carry. I have really grown attached to a Sig P220 Carry Elite. It feels perfect in my hand, is the perfect weight and I am even getting used to the da/sa. I hated it at first, but after some stoning, lubing and general break in it really feels pretty good. I put a short trigger in it and with the srt (short reset trigger) it's really sweet. I like it better all the time. Here it is pictured with my p220 Super Match:

I also picked up a couple of sig 1911's. I know sig has gotten a bad rap for their 1911's, but these are really pretty sweet. I was told elsewhere that the ones in the serial range of these are a sweet spot for sig as they are after they made some changes and added the name revolution and while they still used caspian frames and slides. The fit is even better than the dan wessons, which I consider to be some well made guns, and the parts all quality non mim. The bushings appears to be an egw thick carry bevel, greider slide stop, either wilson or brown thumb safety and I have heard egw internals on these. Everything on them are tight. So far no hiccups on either but I have not put much through them. I should also add that these are shot show models I got from buds for 699. each, which is why they were in that earlier serial range, and they come with the full factory warranty. I figure for that price I can do some tweaking if needed. The sum of the top of the line parts are worth more than that. They were tagged and bagged and don't look like they had been even out of the box.

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful guns - all 4 of them

Those are very nice guns you have there. How do you carry the P220 Carry model? Are there many holsters available for it yet?

#3 ·
Thank You.

I like clips so I am using this Bianchi:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=100

It was a little long and I don't particularly care for the closed bottom holsters, so I put gorilla glue on the threads and cut it shorter where it would fit better. It's holding like it was made like that. I havn't done a lot of checking for holsters for it other than that. Oh, it will fit in the 1911 holsters with a little work.

#4 ·
I went from a 1911 to a 220 as well. It was an easy transition, and as much as I fought it, I'm glad I did now.

Yours is much more purty than mine. I just got a whole new set of scratches on mine yesterday during a wrestling match with a drug dealer. (he lost)

#5 ·
I'm sorry and I'm glad. I'm sorry you had to get in a wrestling match with a drug dealer but I'm glad he lost.

Yes, the transition to the p220 is a very easy one. I have read where it was stated sigs were created by someone with hands, and I agree. I also like the bravertails on the sigs, though some hate them. I like being able to get that high grip as is possible with a beavertailed 1911. It seems to just fit my hand. I understand completely what you are saying about fighting it, and I am glad I did also. I think I need a p220 elite full size and a p220 compact, but that will take time.

#6 ·
Dont be sorry, sometimes its the only way to get them off the street.

Anyway, I'm really thinking about picking up a 220 carry now, but I'll have to save some pocket change first. (I just bought two carbines)

#9 ·
You must be a cop sixto, thank you and stay safe.

JD, the stainless models are very nice indeed.

Hotguns, contact this guy, he usually answers his emails pretty quick. He sells on sigforum, has great prices, is quick, and is a great person to deal with. I bought the two p220's from him:

Ted Goodridge
TNG Hardware
469-362-8720 DFW Area
877-362-8720 Toll Free
469-362-8730 Fax
ted@tnghardware.com

The p220 compact is pretty cool because you can get the xgrip adaptor so you can use the 8 round mags, or use the stock 6 rounders either one.

#15 ·
I think the carry is a great size. It's right at 4 ", 3.9, and I like it more all the time.

I also went back and forth about da or sao. The Super match is sao and while I like it it's just not a 1911. I will stick to 1911's for sao. I didn't think I was going to like da/sa at first, but I am really getting to like it. Smoothing it out and breaking it in has made it really not bad at all. I may put a lighter hammer spring into it to make it just a tad lighter. I thought I might regret not getting sao, but as it happens I am glad I got what I did. Especially with the srt, it's really nice. I wouldn't mind having a full size one, da/sa, also. I think the carry would remain my primary carry though.

#16 ·
I'm thinking about doing the STR as well. I put one on a 228 just to see if I like it, and I do. My duty gun is the 220R da/sa, so if I do pick up a carry, I'd keep it the same.
Maybe I can sweet talk the dept. into buying me one. A guy can dream...right?

#18 ·
Oh, we get to carry whatever we want off duty and they will buy us whatever Sig we want for on duty.

I'm on a long term special assignment now, so I carry all kinds of stuff depending on what I'm doing that day. It ranges from a snub, to a Kahr to my trusty 220. I'm lucky to have those choices though.

#19 ·
Oh how I love P-220's! Nice collection, very nice!

Congratulations! :yup:

Here's my collection minus the P-220 Compact SAS... I need to take new pics.

:biggrin2:

#21 ·
Take a couple days off SIXTO and come to Reno... I'll let you play with mine! :tongue:

#22 ·
Thanks! I was just out near Vegas, I wish I had your offer then.
I dont think that would have helped out my bank account though, because I know I would have bought one... or two.

The 228 is my favorite Sig, I have several of them. The 220 is slowly winning me over though.

#24 ·
Oh, one thing I left out is that I am thinking about bobtailing the 1911's. To bobtail, or not to bobtail, that is the question. I have cut one in before and it came out good so I am comfortable doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.