Night sight for sp101?

This is a discussion on Night sight for sp101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CCW. I recently purchased a sp101 .357 for CCW. However, I do not like the front sight for dim/dark situations. My ...

Thread: Night sight for sp101?

Night sight for sp101?

I am new to CCW.

I recently purchased a sp101 .357 for CCW. However, I do not like the front sight for dim/dark situations. My low-light vision has been somewhat compromised by laser eye surgery.

What are some options for improving the sighting at night?

2. Remove Ads

Trijicon offers front night sights for an SP101: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...0&categoryID=7
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Administrator
    If it were mine and in your situation, I'd put one of the big dot sights on it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 Big Dots - I don't have any but have tried them and liked them. If I were getting new sights they'd be the ones.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Go check out the Ruger SP101's at this site! But be forewarned, you may end up wanting more than a new front site! They have some sights they sell just for this gun and they have the night sight. You can buy the sight and install it yourself if you want to try tapping out the tiny pin that holds the current sight or you can send the gun to them and if you're going to do that, I'd recommend an action job by them.

God Bless
    Gideon

http://www.geminicustoms.com/classified.htm

Ok, thanks for the information! It is very helpful.

I also need to figure out how I am going to carry it. I have been pocket carrying a Taurus M85 Titanium ultra-light. But I really liked the look and feel of the Ruger and the .357 option is nice. Anyone have any pictures of themselves carrying the 2" model IWB?

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I had Lasix also and my dominant eye doesn't focus on the front sight all that well...but I spoke with Marc at Gemini and we felt the fiber optic would be a good choice...it is amazingly bright in regular light and okay in dimmer, which I do most of my practice shooting in....a night sight is a nice option, but in regular light, they don't add anything...so you have to decide if you want a sight that is better for range shooting or one set up for the night...I went with the former since the sight makes my range time more fun and I practice point shooting for defense anyway...its up to you...

by the way, this is his base package...minus porting and bobbed hammer with a fiber optic sight added...slick little gun.

I've got an IWB from Concealco I really like to carry my SP101 in. Also have a pocket holster from MIka I use on occasion, but I do find the SP101 to be a bit too heavy for pocket carry most times.

Thanks.
    Sass, what position do you carry it in? I got a cheap Uncle Mikes today at a gun show just to get a feel for where I might carry if I went with a higher quality holster. It seems like 4:00 felt most comfortable, but awkward to get at the gun.

Loveleather- that is a really nice looking gun. What is the turnaround time for the work you had done? Thanks for the info on the sights. Do you carry that and does the hammer seem to be a problem? I am in debate whether or not I need to bob the hammer. Right now I feel like I like the SA option to be available.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I carry my 442 mostly, but the hammer is nicely melded, as is the rest of the gun...I like the single action option on mine as it makes it more fun at the range...since it's not a pocket or ankle gun, I don't think the hammer is an issue...I had this gun done last year and turn around time was about 3 weeks...it might be longer today, best to call Marc...he's a great guy and after talking with him, I'm sure he'll help steer you into the right direction after you discuss your needs...

Links