In love with the roundgun: Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on In love with the roundgun: Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK. I admit it. If you have ever read my posts before I am a convicted revolverholic. I cant help it. A while ago I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In love with the roundgun: Ruger SP101

In love with the roundgun: Ruger SP101

OK. I admit it. If you have ever read my posts before I am a convicted revolverholic. I cant help it.

A while ago I bought a Glock 19. Great gun...ugly, built with the ergonomics of a 2/4. and utterly reliable.

However all those great attributes did not keep it safe from trading in on a wheel gun today.

I have wanted a .357 mag. snubby for a while, I really wanted a mint condition S&W 66-1 2 1/2" round butt, but that is a tall order these days. And I know myself. I wouldn't shoot it enough with full house loads...I would "baby" it.

So today I stopped being a sally traded my Glock for a Ruger SP101 and a set of the new Crimson Trace LG-111 "Defender" grips. And I couldn't be happier. I won't bore you with all the pillow talk of me extolling the virtues of this little powerhouse or how I can face the world again after ditching the bottom feeder. But I will say that shooting the Ruger was far more enjoyable and easier then I expected and the anti-snag nature of these CT grips is great. I now find myself rationalizing my need for a set for the 66-1 4"!!! The Ruger reminds me of that line from the movie "Snatch"..."heavy is good, heavy is reliable". The Ruger really does feel like the proverbial tank, and that inspires confidence. I ran 100 rds of Remington 125gr SJHP through her and there wasn't a hint of trouble from the gun or pain from my hand.

Any way pictures will follow including a J frame comparison.

And yes, my 60-3 is a little upset that it has been relegated to back up for the back up carry. And I think I might have heard the fat little Austrian Lego gun crying for me not to leave when I walked out ;)

2. Remove Ads

I am a "Revolverholic" myself.

I'm getting a GP100 3" from my wife, as a Christmas Present, and plan to use it instead of my 4" N-Frame. There's nothing wrong with a wheelgun for "defensive" purposes and the SP101 is a great little gun.

Congrats and welcome back to the round world.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Yes indeed, the Ruger SP101 is one tough little piece. I own one, and will keep it around in case my autoloaders decide to crap out on me. Compared to the Taurus 357 I used to have, the Ruger SP101 is a joy to shoot, even with full power loads.

She's certainly a beauty!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I too have a SP101. It's DAO and has Trausch grips. It's a great shooter and is my favorite pistol.

Stephen Camp review of SP101

Stephen Camp did an excellent review of the Ruger SP101 on his website "Hi Powers and Handguns". Here is a link and a picture of the gun he used:

Stephen Camp review of Ruger SP101

The Ruger SP101 is pretty fabulous. It's got some heft, so it's far easier to control well as compared to the ultra-light snubbies made by S&W. Those have their place, being so light that you can forget the gun is there. But the SP101 can take the hottest .357 loads and still be controlled. It's the sort of gun you can pass down the generations.

Congrats on the new purchase!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pictures

Administrator
    Its hard to beat a 101.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BAC
    Hm. Ever since shooting a kind young lady's .44 Mag, I've been highly considering a good revolver for carry purpose. I think I need to get a duty-weapon first, but I did pretty well accuracy wise and it didn't hurt shooting it (fireball was pretty cool too).

You folks are making it harder and harder on this poor almost-broke college kid.

-B

Even Happier!

Well...for kicks I thought I would follow the disassembly instructions included in the manual.

Now first I must give you some perspective. Being a S&W revo guy the innards of the wheel gun (at least with Smiths) are to be treated with reverence and awe. The average Neanderthal with a screwdriver and 2 functioning brain cells SHOULD NOT EVER take a tool to the side plate screws, let alone enter the the other holiest of holies, the lock work of said revo.

First thing I look for in a used revo after the normal function check is look to see if some nimrod took the wrong sized screwdriver to a side plate screw and mucked it up. If the screws look buggered, even in the least, I put the gun down and walk away fast. It could easily mean bubba thought he could "improve" on the lock work.

I know, understand and appreciate the S&W lock work, and I have NEVER taken the side plate off on my non project guns. I even have all the right tools...I just don't do it. I save that for my revolver smith. I am afraid that if I take the side plate off I will hear a chorus of angels DIE and will be cursed for a 1000 years.

On a Ruger however they GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS on how to do it and even recommend it be done on occasion. Here is the kicker though, aside from a copper "takedown pin" there are ZERO tools involved!!!!!

I just did it for the first time and I must say, the design is utter brilliance. PERIOD. If you can take a 1911 apart this is easier (damn those plungers)!

Anyway...I may be a convert...now I just need to send her to Gemini Customs or Grant Cunningham for a little TLC.

Bill Ruger, you may be a turncoat traitor to the firearms industry in terms of you political views on magazine capacity...but you make a hell of a wheel gun!

SP101 is a great gun, have one for me and one for my wife. Actually the one my wife has USED to be mine, before she confiscated it and I had to buy another to replace it. Spring change and some polishing made it a sweet little shooter.

I am so addicted to Wheel guns I sold my Sig 220 and traded my Glock 19 for a S&W Mdl. 37. All I shoot and carry are Wheel Guns. 357 is my favorite caliber (7 or 8 last count),but I will mess around with 38s. I have One 1911 Mdl. 70 Safe Queen.

I love my SP101. Never been a big revolver fan, but I purchased a friend's 101 that had less than 50 rounds shot through it, and i've been thrilled. Nice, heavy feeling. Obviously very durable. I have the 3" barrel, and it's really pretty accurate. Very nice handgun.
    Last edited by ShadowAngel; October 15th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

It's ok rifleming. You can join RA (Revoholics Anonymous). It's a great 12 step program and it works.

Hi my name is BigE and I have been addicted to revolvers for 5 years!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

The Sp is a great gun, I shot one for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Will keep an eye out for a bargain one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links