S&W 442 Airweight

S&W 442 Airweight

This is a discussion on S&W 442 Airweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am strongly considering buying one of these. Anyone have any comments positive or negative about these? The deal seems too good to pass up. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 Airweight

S&W 442 Airweight

I am strongly considering buying one of these. Anyone have any comments positive or negative about these? The deal seems too good to pass up. It is on sale at Cabelas for $379 (normally $449). And from Oct. 18-28 they are having club card days again. With this event, I can take another $85 off a $400 purchase. So if I buy the gun and $20 worth of other stuff--which won't be too hard--I can take $85 off the gun for a net price of $295.
    The MSRP--which I realize no one usually pays--is $529. Best price I can find anywhere is $379. So I think I am crazy to pass up a new 442 for $295.
    I have SIG 229 and some Glocks and H&Ks for OWB carry. I don't own any S&W yet. Seems like I should do this.
    Due to arthritis issues, I do not care for a lot of recoil--sold a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag due to this. Am thinking about .38+P for pocket carry with the 442. What is your opinion of the recoil of the 442 with +P?
    Thanks for any comments left!

There is a boat load of threads about the 642/442. I doubt think there is anyone who does not like them. There is also a huge thread about the on THR.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Jacksonville, Fl
    Definitely go for it. I have the 642 and it is a great pocket gun. Looks like you are getting a good deal too! Very easy to carry and shoots well for such a small gun.

Land of 10k Lakes
    First, welcome to the forum!!!

It is a great pocket carry weapon.... my only issue is that it is not a good practice gun. If you can live with that, then buy this gun.

Recommendation: Shoot one before you buy it.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: DW V-Bob 1911, S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9,
    and Glock G26, G19, G23C, and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I have a 642, and as of next week will have a 442, which are virtually the same gun, the 642 is silver and the 442 is black. They are small and light enough for pocket carry with a good holster. I would recommend using a shooting glove when firing this, as the recoil can be a bit stiff. Also not a gun you'd go to the range and put 150 rounds through- 50 at a time is plenty.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Parts Unknown
    go for it, it is a great carry gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paper killer View Post
    Am thinking about .38+P for pocket carry with the 442. What is your opinion of the recoil of the 442 with +P?
    Fairly brutal. It's a 15oz gun, and stout loads go right through the web between your thumb and forefinger. Yeah, 30-50rds about does it, for a range session. Hard to control, relatively speaking, as, say, compared to a Ruger SP101 or similarly hefty snubbie. Had one and carried it for 10yrs, shooting occasionally to keep the cobwebs out and competency up. Never could get very accurate beyond 5-7yds or so, given how hard it slapped my hand. I prefer hot .357's in the SP101, actually.

That said, if light and concealable is what you're looking for, it's great. It isn't much larger than a thick wallet, though longer certainly. If you've got deep pockets, you can conceal it well in a well-made pocket holster. Mitch Rosen's Pocket Softy is a good one, IMO.

Pricewise, a sub-$300 442 Airweight is a deal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).

Lumberton, Texas
    I have a 642 and a 649 in 38 special. If I could find a 442 for under $300 I'd surely bring it home. They are really nice revolvers.

Excellent gun, I carry the 642. I strongly recommend that you pair it with the crimson trace laser grips. It takes the J frame airweights to a whole different level.

Over here now!
    One of these...

You will hate yourself for passing up that deal. I paid $325 for mine direct from S&W.

My 442 is my 24/7 gun and I love it. Contrary to what others say it is not a beast, the recoil is quite stout but fun and very manageable.

The gun is very accurate with it's stock sights, it is always the shooter that is not quite so. A set of Crimson Trace grips rounds out the package nicely.

I carry at work on ballistic vest in a 5.11 and off duty in a Kramer Pocket holster or a Galco Ankle Glove. IMO two of the best holsters to carry this gun. I pipe it with Speer Gold Dots in 135 grain.

I can't think of any reason not to have a J frame in the stable.

Catch the BUG...buy it and don't look back.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I have an airweight, and I agree with those who are saying the recoil is kind of stiff. If you shoot p+ rounds through it, recoil is conciderable enough that you don't want to shoot a bunch of them. Even standard loads may hurt arthritic hands.

If a small, concealable gun is what you're looking for, you might concider the Glock G-26. it's light, potent, very accurate, very relible, holds 10 + 1 rounds, and I believe the 9mm is a better man-stopper than the 38.

+1 Recoil is a little pop - gun jerks a bit but by no means painful. I've only shot mine with Winchester 130 grain +Ps so maybe I'm missing something here. Its a pop gun - a blast to shoot. Hard to be accurate with - I think I could shoot about a 3-4" group at 15 yards IIRC. I paid $440 for mine after all the taxes and fees etc... I say go for it! You won't regret it. I found it on the big side for pocket carry, but I've got an appendix IWB (Comp-Tac 2 o'clock) that works great.

Have to mirror the opinions so far. The 442 is a great little gun. Effective cartridge in a platform that simply disappears when concealed.

The comments, however, about recoil are right on the mark. Firing standard whitebox ammo through it is a vastly different experience than firing a semi or a heftier wheel gun. If you have large hands, like I do, you will need to adjust your firing technique somewhat. I found at first that I was pulling my groups consistently to the left of target until I got used to it.

Surprisingly though, the heftier ammo seems to give me better accuracy. I have been making sure to go through a box of my chosen carry ammo during every range trip. The Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P (Short Barrel) is an outstanding round for this gun. My shot groups seem to be much more accurate with this round. The tradeoff is that they kick like a mule. For more than a cylinder or two, be sure to have a glove or wrap your thumb webbing in a bandaid or you WILL have a blister.

Best testimony I can give, I suppose, is that if I have a pistol on me, it's a 442.

Charlotte, NC
    I'll give another "thumbs-up" to the 442. I have one a back-up / under the front seat gun. It disappears into a pocket with a holster. I use a cheap Galco pocket holster with jeans when I don't feel like lugging a Kimber or Glock.

State of Discombobulation
    I carry a 442 as my Off-Duty BUG and love the little thing.

It's a great little gun that carries well in a front pocket. You may want to search around and try different ammo for it because recoil is a subjective thing. I shoot a lot of Remington 125 Grain +P's out of mine, accuracy is not a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links