P239 Recoil Question...

P239 Recoil Question...

This is a discussion on P239 Recoil Question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now my soon to be wife and myself are going to both get our CCW. I have 3 Sigs, P220ST(.45), P2340(.40), and P239(.40). We ...

P239 Recoil Question...

Right now my soon to be wife and myself are going to both get our CCW. I have 3 Sigs, P220ST(.45), P2340(.40), and P239(.40). We are considering the 239 for her as a carry weapon. She hasnt shot the 239 yet but shoots the 2340 well. If I were to swap out the barrel for the .357 sig load would that increase or decrease the felt recoil? I will be carrying the 220 or the 2340. We are going to the range tomorrow and she will be shooting the 239. If that doest work I will start looking into a glock for her in 9mm. Anyone have any other suggestions? Any opinions or input would be great. Thanks in advance. Matt

ENH
    Make sure she can work the slide comfortably, if not, go to a revolver.

Similar, I think

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    She hasn't shot the 239 yet but shoots the 2340 well. If I were to swap out the barrel for the .357 sig load would that increase or decrease the felt recoil?
    I would think the recoil of a Sig P239 would be about the same shooting .40 S&W or .357 Sig ammo. The two calibers are close in power factor (momentum), which is a major determinant of recoil in a given gun.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The 239 can be converted to 9mm with a Barsto barrel. The 9 would be much easier for her to shoot.
    My 239 is 40 S&W and I don't find it to have very sharp recoil, but, I've been shooting for many years.

If you buy a Glock, the G-19 is concidered to be the best gun made by Glock.

Currently, I'm carrying the G-26 (Baby Glock 9mm) and it is accurate, reliable, light, potent, and easy to carry.

If you buy a Glock, the G-19 is considered to be the best gun made by Glock.
    Actually, the G23 is their most popular model going by numbers sold the last time I checked.

I have fired the P239 in .40 S&W and the same gun with a .357 Sig barrel. The .357 Sig has more recoil but not so much that it makes it unmanageable.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    The 239 can be converted to 9mm with a Barsto barrel. The 9 would be much easier for her to shoot.
    My 239 is 40 S&W and I don't find it to have very sharp recoil, but, I've been shooting for many years.

If you buy a Glock, the G-19 is concidered to be the best gun made by Glock.

Currently, I'm carrying the G-26 (Baby Glock 9mm) and it is accurate, reliable, light, potent, and easy to carry.

Can the barsto barrel be installed with 100% relibility? Has anyone used such a set up?

My wife is a very small girl with the usuall small hands....she loves my 239 9mm. It is the only one I would let her carry. If recoil is a concern..maybe trade the .40 for the 9mm in SIG 239. Another option.

Administrator
    The conversion is a reliable one but, be advised that the cost of the barrel is $240.00 and it's avail in either a match fit or a semi-drop in - which means that if you are not skilled at final fitting barrels a gun-smith might need to do it for you which will add a bit more to the cost.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Also consider the HK P2000SK in 9mm. But start at home and see how she does with the slide on the P239. If it is a problem, then start there.

-john

Lead Moderator
    Can the barsto barrel be installed with 100% relibility? Has anyone used such a set up?
    I hate to say this, but the 40/357 swap isn't a 100%! A friend of mine and I both got SIG 229s (in .40) at the same time and ordered 357 barrels at the same time.

His worked fine, Mine didn't, so........ we swapped to see if it was the weapon or the barrel. now both worked fine, so we stayed swapped! But like I said, not 100%.

I've heard both good and bad about the Barsto barrels. You might want to pay a visit to the SigForum and do a search, there have been threads on this subject in the past.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    I really like the 239 in 9mm. Its very easy shooting and a dead nuts reliable package. The 40 is good too, but a little sharper in recoil. The 357 is a little sharper yet.

All are managable with a little practice, the 239 is a great gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Anyone have any other suggestions? Any opinions or input would be great. Thanks in advance. Matt
    Both my wife & I carry the XD.45 compact, She does have a hard time with the slide. She can work it with difficulty. She followed some of the suggestions here and she is getting better and building the muscle she needs. After carrying for a while, though she shoots the .45 well she wants a smaller gun. So we are looking at a XD sub compact 9mm or the 9mm sub compact PX4 Storm if it ever hits the market. I wont go into my what a great gun the XD spiel but you both should give it a try.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Thanks for all the replys. We went to the range today with the p239 and she did very very well. She had no issues working the slide, and shot very well. At 3, 5, and 7 yards she kept about 30% in the 10, 30% in the 9, 35% in the 8, and 5% strayed not to far off. Not to shabby for her 2nd time at the range, first with that gun.

Links