SA XD question

SA XD question

This is a discussion on SA XD question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After telling a friend of mine how much I liked my SA XD SC, he recently purchased a XD in 357 sig. When he brought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA XD question

SA XD question

After telling a friend of mine how much I liked my SA XD SC, he recently purchased a XD in 357 sig. When he brought it over to show me, it seems that there is a rather large gap between the guide rod and the frame. I emailed the photo below to SA and received a reply that a small amount of gap is normal and will not affect the operation of the gun. This still seems like a rather large gap and I was curious if this is what other XD owner's are seeing on their firearms.

Thanks,
    Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've had my XD9 for about 3 yrs now. The guide rod protruding is normal. If you go back to some reviews in back issues of some of the gun mags, they looked at this and decided it was a 'non issue' as far as operation of the pistol goes. I've never had any problems with mine due to the gap. Hope this helps.

I also

Have that gap on my XD 40 as well. Haven't had any problems with my weapon at all since I purchased it back in 05.

Dave

I have a XD9 Service model and there is a gap. Has never effected operation of the gun. I have seen several other XD's with the gap. It is quite normal
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

EW3
    Mine does that as well, in fact the first time I reassembled the gun, I thought I had done something wrong!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Mine does that as well, in fact the first time I reassembled the gun, I thought I had done something wrong!
    Yep, I did the same thing with my XD9. I never noticed the "gap" until after I had reassembled the gun and like EW3, I thought I had messed something up.

Do not worry about it. The gun will function just as it should.

Thanks for the quick responses. I had checked my XD40 SC while he was here and mine protrudes also, but only about the thickness of the guide rod head. Very difficult to see daylight in the gap on mine. His has probably 3 times the amount of gap as mine, but since mine is a SC, I thought that may be part of the difference. Doesn't appear to affect the function of the gun as he has already fired a couple of hundred rounds and not only did it function flawlessly, but was extremely accurate.

Thanks again,
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The gap allows the weapon to function if it is pressed against the target.

I just noticed mine and, like cvhoss, mine protrudes about the same thickness of the guide rod head. I hadn't noticed it before.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKeepr View Post
    The gap allows the weapon to function if it is pressed against the target.
    exactly. this topic is beaten to death over at xdtalk.org. my XD9 service has the gap. all XD's have the gap. it's the design of the gun. it's so that if you're in true close-quarters combat and you're forced to shove the barrel into someone the slide is less likely to move out of battery.

My XD does NOT have the gap....it has the Lasermax!

I also have a XD40 and have the same gap, have fired hundreds of round through it and never had a problem.

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by AlongcameJones View Post
    My XD does NOT have the gap....it has the Lasermax!
    "2"

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    exactly. this topic is beaten to death over at xdtalk.org. my XD9 service has the gap. all XD's have the gap. it's the design of the gun. it's so that if you're in true close-quarters combat and you're forced to shove the barrel into someone the slide is less likely to move out of battery.
    Not ALL XD's have the gap, the 5" tactical models do not.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

It's like that on all the service models (4")- the tactical (5") model does not do that because it has a different guide rod/recoil spring set up.

I doubt the answer about the protruding guide rod preventing out of battery scenarios as an official reason behind the design, although it might actually prevent this from happening.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links