Springfield GI ? - Page 2

Springfield GI ?

This is a discussion on Springfield GI ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have one (Parkerized). New barrel bushing, sights, grips/screws/bushings, flat checkered MSH to remove the ILS, trigger job. Wilson Combat mags and holster. Best thing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield GI ?

Mo
    I have one (Parkerized).

New barrel bushing, sights, grips/screws/bushings, flat checkered MSH to remove the ILS, trigger job. Wilson Combat mags and holster.

Best thing about yours? You don't have to refinish it when you decide to hack into it to add a beavertail! I think a stainless GI is a great start for a do-it-yourself custom gun. You'll have fun and learn a lot.

For a defensive gun the only issue I would have with a GI is the front sight is too small for me, I went with a loaded

go for it, the price is great. great gun, i know i got one. it would be hard to turn this one down.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I thought I wanted a GI 1911 and I did, but I put Novak lo-mounts on the gun because the GI sights were really inferior. Other than that, I haven't done a thing to it. If 1911s don't look GI, I usually have little interest in them.

Go for It!

At that price, you could add new sights if you wanted AND have your gunsmith do a complete reliability work-up on it at the same time. You'd still be hundreds of dollars less than a Loaded version.

I've got one and I put a beavertail on it, had a trigger job done and new sights.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I've got one and I put a beavertail on it, had a trigger job done and new sights.
    How did your GI run before the mentioned additions and how did it run afterwards?

See that is what I am caught up on... for those of you with GIs, how much work did you have to do before it was a real reliable work horse, or is it pretty much one straight out of the box?

I'll start by saying I do not have one now, but did for about two years. Carried it absolutely stock for a year, then changed out the mainspring housing just because I didn't like that lock thing in there.
    Ran fine from new through maybe 1500 rounds - sold it at the same instant I bought a Colt Officer's Model (just like having the horse on them).
    About three people here where I work carry the GIs. Two are stock, one's got every toy in the world on it. All three run fine.
    At that price, you can't go wrong -- and you can do the custom work yourself if you learn and ask around a bit. But, as far as straight functioning, all the ones I've seen have no problems in stock form.

Side question. Which beavertail fits best in a GI? My Kimber's beavertail has a wide upper section (above the pivot, before the "tail", but my Mil-spec Springers grip saftey is narrow from the piviot up.

To answer to OP. My Mil-Spec is close to the GI and it runs perfectly. I just get bitten from the safety.

Mine:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=33343
    -Biker

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    See that is what I am caught up on... for those of you with GIs, how much work did you have to do before it was a real reliable work horse, or is it pretty much one straight out of the box?
    It was very reliable out of the box. (Normal FTF's FTE's for a pistol being broken in) at about 2-3 thousand rounds I polished the feed ramp and rails and it has run even better since then.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    It's all about options...

They "should" be reliable right out of the box, if I were to buy a GI, I would not carry it, not becuase it wouldn't fit the bill, but because it would have to be reworked to get it where I would like it.

If you're looking to carry a 5" Springer, atleast get a MILSPEC, your going to want the better sights, if you WANT the addons like the beaver tail, elongated thumbsafety, night sights etc. etc., save some more cash and get the loaded model, it's more money, but it's the way you want it when you buy it.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the GI that is a good price, but pending what if any addon parts / mods you may want and add in smith's fees, possible shipping, your getting pretty close to the cost of a good loaded model.

When it comes to the 1911, there are wants and needs. You NEED good sights, you might NEED a different grip safety pending on your hands.

The GI and MILSPEC are pretty much the same, the only real difference is the sights and the lowered and flared ejection port IIRC.

A lot of the add ons are just fluff, don't get me wrong, I do like a number of them, but you really don't NEED them.

This is just my .02, but if you WANT or NEED the options, buy a Springer that all ready has them.

If you don't want that many bells and whistles, I'd still get the MILSPEC just for the better sights and the lowerd ejection port.

**Edited to add: It's not just the cost of gunsmith work, but also the time it takes to have it done.

For $365 you can still afford to have it changed, and come out under a loaded models price, but it could take up to 6 months pending on who does the work, personally I wouldn't wait that long for work to be done a GI.

OD*
    GI Model:
    Blued barrel
    High wall ejection port
    GI sights
    Lanyard loop on mainspring housing
    Vertical cocking serration's on slide

Mil-Spec:
    Stainless barrel and on some models a stainless bushing
    Loaded chamber indicator
    Lowered and flared ejection port
    High profile 3-dot sights
    Beveled magazine well
    No lanyard loop on mainspring housing
    Angled cocking serration's on slide
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I don't know now, after seeing the pic below over at 1911Forum I think I might get it and keep it bone-dry stock, except for some nice grips like the ones shown...

If I go that route, I'll probably save some green for a while and get something like a Wilson Combat or Les Baer. I'd really like to have a 1911 that is a strong and reliable work horse in addition to my combat tupperware. But a nice untouched GI would make for a nice desktop piece, although all guns should be shot and enjoyed.

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    GI Model:
    Blued barrel
    High wall ejection port
    GI sights
    Lanyard loop on mainspring housing
    Vertical cocking serration's on slide

Mil-Spec:
    Stainless barrel and on some models a stainless bushing
    Loaded chamber indicator
    Lowered and flared ejection port