Anyone Have One Of These?

This is a discussion on Anyone Have One Of These? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is one I sometimes carry. It's Model 617 Taurus. It weighs about 4 ounces more than the SP101 and is about 3/8" shorter than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have One Of These?

Here is one I sometimes carry. It's Model 617 Taurus. It weighs about 4 ounces more than the SP101 and is about 3/8" shorter than the SP101 in length. Unlike the 5 shot SP101 the Taurus has a 7 round cylendar for 357 magnum. Mine has factory ports and is quite comfortable to shoot magnum loads. So far I've had nothing but good shooting with this gun. Anyone else have one of these cuties?
    Attached Images

Senior Moderator
    I have a 605 which is 5 shots but it is a great snubbie
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've got an 850 CIA hammerless .38 . I love that gun
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have one with the concealed hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    I have one with the concealed hammer.
    I wanted to pick up a snubby and was drawn to the 617 because of its 7 shot capacity. The trigger isn't bad and seems to get better with use. I sometimes wear it in crossdraw position while I'm carrying another revolver. It is what it is, a pretty good low cost snub.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Here is one I sometimes carry. It's Model 617 Taurus. It weighs about 4 ounces more than the SP101 and is about 3/8" shorter than the SP101 in length. Unlike the 5 shot SP101 the Taurus has a 7 round cylendar for 357 magnum. Mine has factory ports and is quite comfortable to shoot magnum loads. So far I've had nothing but good shooting with this gun. Anyone else have one of these cuties?
    Had one for kayaking...sold it! Didn't really like it...OMO. I'm sure yours will serve you very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got one for my wife and she loves it. She shoots it well and you can't beat the 7 shots. It is the TITANIUM IN BRIGHT SPECTRUM BLUE.

[QUOTE=xdzrgr8;503605]I got one for my wife and she loves it. She shoots it well and you can't beat the 7 shots. It is the TITANIUM IN BRIGHT SPECTRUM BLUE.
    Smith & Wesson 327 8 shot may beat the taurus atleast by 1 round

Talking S & W 686, 3" 7 shot

Closest thinig I have to it is my Smith & Wesson model 686, 7 shot 3 inch barrel revolver. Yours looks pretty nice and somehow I figure it no doubt cost less then mine too.
    "If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism." Thomas Sowell

I wanted to pick up a snubby and was drawn to the 617 because of its 7 shot capacity. The trigger isn't bad and seems to get better with use. I sometimes wear it in crossdraw position while I'm carrying another revolver. It is what it is, a pretty good low cost snub.
    I don't carry mine unless I am going to the gym in shorts. I just put in the pocket. Other than that, it mostly sits in the glove compartment of my car. I love it though.

Quote Originally Posted by xflyer View Post
    Closest thinig I have to it is my Smith & Wesson model 686, 7 shot 3 inch barrel revolver. Yours looks pretty nice and somehow I figure it no doubt cost less then mine too.
    Yeah...I have a 686 too. Carrying it with the little Taurus as a backup gives me 14 rounds of 357 Mag at my service.

Yeah...I have a 686 too. Carrying it with the little Taurus as a backup gives me 14 rounds of 357 Mag at my service.

3rd me on that list. Carry my 686 2.5" 357 every once in awhile. Light it's not but sitting in it's Galco holster, it feels fine around town!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    I had a bright stainless one that I carried a few years ago. Very good, reliable, and accurate. Traded it to a friend. I miss it, but I can always get another.

Mine also had porting. While it did not affect night-time shooting, I was eventually turned off of the idea of having bits of powder fly into my eye while firing from retention.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar

I have the Stainless DAO 617 no ports. I put a Hogue Grip on to fit my gimped hand, and I love the way it shoots. I lost count how many rounds it has sent down range and it doesn't show any indication that it won't send a lot more. I rotate it in with several other 357 Snubs I carry.

i have one.... love it. got a blued one. now i'm gonna admit it's abit thicker then the other 2 5 shots i have, (cia and the 651 .38 titanium concealed hammer and 850 .357 bobbed hammer)
    I use in smart carry so weight and size difference no biggy, but for pocket carry i had to go up one size in uncle mike holster. but for 40% more in .357? it's a fun alternative. i'm carful with exposed hammer, but again, my carry method and how I draw i'm not worried about snags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links