So how many rounds is "a lot" through a .357?

This is a discussion on So how many rounds is "a lot" through a .357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Odd question, but one of the hangers-on at a local gun shop said something today that just didn't sound quite kosher... so I thought I'd ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how many rounds is "a lot" through a .357?

So how many rounds is "a lot" through a .357?

Odd question, but one of the hangers-on at a local gun shop said something today that just didn't sound quite kosher... so I thought I'd see what people here think.

Question: How many rounds through a .357 (snubbie, Rossi R462 in this case) is "a lot" in terms of the overall life expectancy of a .357 revolver? Would you expect a low end wheelgun to last 1000 rounds? 2000? 5000? more?

I don't know what exactly I'd expect, but I'd figure it to be more than 1000 rounds certainly, even for a "cheap" or low-end gun. My idea of a cheap, low-end gun would be maybe 5000 rounds or so before it wears out. Significantly more for a decent gun.

This Rossi R462 of mine is the same one I bought a little over a year ago and in that time it's broken twice, both times needing factory repair and both times almost exactly the same part. The "cylinder bolt" that keeps the cylinder locked up and in time has broken both times. New out of the box, the thing broke and jammed up SOLIDLY the day after I bought it and after less than 100 rounds of 38 and 357 through it. Got it repaired, used it for awhile but then back in August it got screwy again, it could still be fired but the cylinder would rotate freely without touching the trigger or the hammer, not safe. So, I just today got it back from the factory after its second repair.

I'm asking this out of curiosity. Two months ago when I shipped the Rossi in for repair, I resolved to sell it off once it came back fixed (in fact, I discovered the cylinder problem when I was trying to trade it in on a Ruger SP101). I have the SP101 by the way and I like it, it's what I hoped the Rossi would be and everyone says the Rugers are tanks and can take a lifetime of hot rounds.

So, a guy hanging out at the shop today claimed that 1k rounds was a lot through a revolver and that I'd basically worn it out, even if most of that 1k was 38 special and not 357. Doesn't sound right to me. I wouldn't get enough to make it worth selling so I think I'll keep this Rossi in the safe as a backup to the backup maybe. If I were to start shooting it again, how long would YOU expect it to last? My guess is that the same part will break again within the next 500 rounds or less, especially since I reload and practice with just 357s pretty much anymore. I expect my Ruger SP101 to last substantially longer, I would expect at least 10k rounds if not more.

Opinions or comments from the peanut gallery? I've learned my lesson at least, except for milsurps I don't do 'cheap' guns anymore.

2. Remove Ads

I have over 2k thru my S&W 586, I still dont think it is broken in. . It looks just like when I bought it brand new over 15yrs ago. It shoots great, very little sign of wear on it. Most of that 2k was when I first got it and shot it on and off over the years. Is as accurate today as it was back then and I expect it to last thru a lot more rounds.

btw, you hear a lot of funny stuff in a gun store

SY

there goes the theory that wheel guns are far more reliable than the auto.
    don't do cheap it costs too much
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Administrator
    I would just use it as a beat it to death at the range gun.
    I sure would not carry it as a back-up after it has been back for factory repair of two critical failure break-downs.
    Remember that when things go terribly wrong and then you really need your back-up firearm...your back-up becomes your much needed instant primary & I don't know how you could ever trust that one again.

Sponsor
    Rossi and Taurus dont have a very good rep for sustaining a lot of rds through them before something goes wrong.

Like another said, don't do cheap, it's too expensive

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Low end revolvers, like Rossi

In some industries that produce a product the people measure "mean time between failure" (MTBF) as a way to quantify how long the product will last in use. If you take 100 samples of the product and use them, you find that some units will break or fail quickly while others will last quite a long time. But the "mean" for the whole group of 100 gives you a way to predict lifetime.

I haven't owned a Rossi .357 revolver, but in reading owner comments here and elsewhere, I would guess that the MBTF is no more than 1000 rounds of full load .357 ammo. Some people complain that their Rossi failed on the first box of ammo, while others will claim no problems in several thousand rounds. It is typical of products made to appeal to a market segment that favors low initial cost over a long lifetime of use.

Don't know about .357 Magnum but fired around 7500-8000 full-power rounds through my Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum in silhouette matches and practice over a 4-years period back in the early '80's. With additional handloading experimentation, practice for hunting, and general purpose shooting, it's probably had another couple thousand magnum loads fired through it. Add in 5000 or so light Unique cast bullet loads and it's lit off 15,000 cartridges in its time and doesn't seem the worse for wear. It does show erosion in the forcing cone but still shoots tight groups with its favorite cast bullet load using Unique or favorite jacketed bullet load fueled with H110. I'm looking forward to going out to shoot it this afternoon when my brother-in-law and I go out to wring out a new 8 3/8-inch Model 29 he just acquired.

Have handloaded approximately 3000 .38 Special rounds per year for 30 years +, two-thirds of which have been fired through the same old Smith & Wesson Model 10. Still waiting on something to break.

My Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 takes the prize though for most rounds fired but it's a .22.

Administrator
    Well, your answer is already in your story.... how many rounds after the first repair did it take you to get the the second repair? There is your answer.

As others have said, If you buy cheap, you'll be buying twice. So what have you saved?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Taurus dont have a very good rep for sustaining a lot of rds through them before something goes wrong.

Like another said, don't do cheap, it's too expensive

Brownie
    You ain't kiddin' there.....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Well, your answer is already in your story.... how many rounds after the first repair did it take you to get the the second repair? There is your answer.

As others have said, If you buy cheap, you'll be buying twice. So what have you saved?
    Yep, no kiddin' about that. For the occasions when I carry a wheelgun, it's now a Ruger SP101. Cost significantly more than the Rossi but in a fair amount of research I've never heard anyone besmirch the reliability of a Ruger wheelgun (maybe the looks or weight, but I'm ok with that).

If I get in the mood I may perhaps take the Rossi with me to the next show and see if any private individual seems interested, but I probably won't actually sell it.
    1) If all I'd get out of it is a little over $100, not sure it's worth the hassle. I wouldn't mind having a range beater gun that I wouldn't shoot the dickens out of, just kind of have it around.
    2) The unreliability of this gun is imo part of the hassle factor of selling it. I wouldn't sell this gun to anyone who wanted it for self defense, not with the problems it's had. Maybe for someone who'd take it hunting to put down a deer that the first shot didn't get a clean kill, maybe. It's extra hassle though, reduces the price of what it might bring me $-wise, and it's not like I'd get a lot of $ for this thing anyway.

Live and learn.

I picked up a used Smith model 656 in 357 with the 2.5" barrel. It cost me just over $400 and the expectation of this gun is that I may never wear it out. It's built like a tank. I've only fired a few 100 rounds through it, both 357 and 38 so far, but with regular cleaning I expect this thing to last many thousands of rounds.

I always try and stay awat from cheap if I can. I have heard the same things about the Rossi and Taurus myself but have never owned or seen myself any of them. I'd probably leave it in the safe and use it as a plinker piece for range days. I wouldnt sell it or use it as a defensive arm at all.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Sixto beat me to it, by your own testimony the answer is less than 100 (two zeros) rounds.
    This is why I don't by cheap guns!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I had a 4" S&W 586

And I must have put 20,000 rounds through it when I shot a lot of steel back in 1990. the gun finally began to go out of time and had issues with the cylinder loosening, so I called S&W who advised me to send the gun back to them. I got the gun back 43 days later, and it was brand new. They included a detailed list of repairs made, and when they were completed, performed a factory reblue of the gun. I paid for shipping, nothing else. When I called the factory, the gunsmith I spoke to said it was their policy to return the gun back to the condition it was in when it left the factory.......

I later sold the gun to another competitor that shot a lot of ICORE, and to my knowledge, probably still uses it. So my take is that if you take care of it, it will last you as long as any other handgun will.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I traded my Rossi and Taurus revolvers for a S&W revolver. had the Taurus for a while and never had a single problem with it. Got the Rossi with the intent of using it as a inexpensive carry gun. I've probably only put less than 500 rounds through it without any problems.
    After reading many owners complaining of failures at around the 500 round mark, and not wanting to roll the dice for a carry gun, away it went.
    My local shop got in a real nice 2002 model 649 with box and all paperwork and it is what I wanted for carry in the first place but couldn't afford. so we made a 2 for 1 trade.
    I wish I would have just saved up for it in the first place as this is what I wanted and needed.
    Colt Officers ACP
    Smith & Wesson 649-5
    Smith & Wesson 637-2

Question along this line. Don't want your personal numbers exactly but how many rounds will ever be fired from the average handgun. I would expect the 90&#37; will never fire 500 round and 75% probably less than 50.

Most handguns are bought, loaded and never even fired after the first time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links