Custom 3" GP100

Custom 3" GP100

This is a discussion on Custom 3" GP100 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a newbie on this forum...thought I'd post a photo of my new carry piece...cusomized by gemini customs:...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom 3" GP100

Custom 3" GP100

I'm a newbie on this forum...thought I'd post a photo of my new carry piece...cusomized by gemini customs:

Welcome, Great looking Ruger (great pics too)!
    "Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition"

I wondered when you'd make it over here Dawg.

As you know, I'm sending my GP100 to Marc at Gemini for the same treatment.

Biker

Gemini has found a market niche

Although I have not dealt with Gemini Customs, I have admired many photos of their work here and elsewhere. The company seems to have found a market niche in customizing Ruger revolvers, especially the GP and SP models.

I suppose that a new factory GP or SP is a little like a lump of clay, with a good revolver somewhere inside that wants to get out. The factory Rugers are rather large and clunky, with too much metal, rough machining, sharp edges, ugly grips, a heavy trigger and a "billboard" of useless lawyer information engraved on the gun.

Gemini has figured out how to free up the good revolver hidden inside the lump of Ruger clay. It just takes some time with metal working equipment and the knowledge of what you are doing.

good looking gun,,, how does it shoot?????
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Although I have not dealt with Gemini Customs, I have admired many photos of their work here and elsewhere. The company seems to have found a market niche in customizing Ruger revolvers, especially the GP and SP models.

I suppose that a new factory GP or SP is a little like a lump of clay, with a good revolver somewhere inside that wants to get out. The factory Rugers are rather large and clunky, with too much metal, rough machining, sharp edges, ugly grips, a heavy trigger and a "billboard" of useless lawyer information engraved on the gun.

Gemini has figured out how to free up the good revolver hidden inside the lump of Ruger clay. It just takes some time with metal working equipment and the knowledge of what you are doing.
    To each his own. I personally think the GP is a handsome revolver as is. The custom work certainly makes it a thing of beauty. Dawg's gun looks great.

VIP Member
    Marc Morganti does some fabulous work.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Nice Ruger,

I like everything but the barrel porting, but I like to watch the fireballs
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Nice Ruger,

I like everything but the barrel porting, but I like to watch the fireballs
    Yeah...The porting is useful for taming down recoil but that's not been something I have needed with my GP.

My expirience with porting or "comps" on revolvers has been excellent. I used to have an Andy Cannon "Street L" that I loved to shoot.

The nice thing about the porting is that it reduces muzzle "flip" thereby transferring the recoil straight back to your hand, allowing faster follow up shots.

357 Magnum with the split times of a 45 ACP, what's not to like?

Biker

NICE Ruger.

Very nice gun.

It looks dangerous with all those holes in the barrel though, you should send it to me for safekeeping.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Nice custom job. What holster are you wearing?

wyo-man

I'm wearing the Basic #9 FIST holster...love it. As for the porting...it is great! Range report posted earlier in a different forum:

I initiated my new, Gemini Customs Ruger GP100 w/3 inch Barrel today at my local range. As you know, Marc Morganti, Pistolsmith extraordinaire, crafted one beautiful weapon for me and a there was requests for a report out…especially concerning the Weigand Combat Hybra Port porting operation on this revolver.

I chambered 125 gr. Corbon DPX. Why, because this is my carry load: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...DPX%20Ammo.htm It is also nice to know that Corbon uses flash retardant powder for those that worry about beau coup flash at night and in the wee hours.

I decided to set my target at 10 yards…30 feet. Why, because this is my self-defense weapon and this seemed to be an appropriate distance for a bobbed hammer, DAO revolver.

Results: First: I must say that I was overly concerned about how loud this was going to be…mostly because I read on this Forum and THR and even my local gunsmith gave warning. So, I wore ear muffs instead of my foam ear plugs. Well, the muffs must have worked great 'cuz this weapon sounded just like a normal .357 mag to me. Major surprise. Now…my M1 Garand and the countless M16 reports I’ve grown used to are loud…this was fairly normal if you ask me…but then, I rarely wear ear muffs…think I’ll start doing this more often…they are great!

Secondly: The muzzle flip came to nothing. Marc told me it was going to be decreased by 70%. Hell…the barrel did not even rise two inches! For a moment I thought I had dud ammo. There was no twist to the left…no pushing back…all these things I heard about from people on the gun forums. Recoil was minimal. My S&W 642 kicks like a jack ass in comparison. Hell, I even hate to shoot that little Kel Tek P3AT cuz it snaps my wrist so bad. This was a cream puff. Amazing…simply amazing. This was fun…fun…fun to shoot. After my Corbons were shot up, I pulled out a cheap 50 round box of 158 grain Magtechs to plink with. I did have one round that failed to fire out of these…primer was hit squarely but it did not ignite the powder. Hmmm, dud round methinks.

I wore a white T-shirt…was expecting all this un-burnt gunpowder and particles to come flying out of the ports and smudge me up. Never happened.

Ok…I decided that the only real concern was my shooting ability. I did not knock out the center ring when I fired. Guess I need some practice with .357 mag. I do, however, shoot it better than my .38 special 642…but I’m far better with my .45 ACP. But then…I did pass Old Fuff’s 5-5-5 test. I can shoot five rounds in five seconds at five yards (make that 10 yards!) and keep my POI within 5 inches of my Center of Mass or POA. I did attempt to hit a target at 25 yards only to find I hit the black only three times. Well the bobbed 3 inch barrel GP100 isn’t a target revolver…at least not in my hands anyway. Practice, practice, practice…that’s what I need.

Well, folks…looks like I have a new carry revolver…and yes…it is ported and I love it! Now I'm waiting on my FIST #9 Basic Pancake OWB and even ordered an El Paso IWB...might give it a try even though I'm partial to OWB. Jack Weigand is a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    To each his own. I personally think the GP is a handsome revolver as is. The custom work certainly makes it a thing of beauty. Dawg's gun looks great.
    +1 I love my GP100 4 inch but that custom is a thing of beauty.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links