S&W Model 60 .357 or Ruger SP101 .357, I need some help deciding

This is a discussion on S&W Model 60 .357 or Ruger SP101 .357, I need some help deciding within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I understand that this is completely a matter of personal opinion, I would just like some input of your personal opinion and ...

View Poll Results: Which would you purchase for pocket carry?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger SP101, 2 & 1/4" .357

50 47.62%
  • S&W Model 60, 2 & 1/8" .357

55 52.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 60 .357 or Ruger SP101 .357, I need some help deciding

First of all, I understand that this is completely a matter of personal opinion, I would just like some input of your personal opinion and why, especially if you have shot both guns.

I am purchasing a .357 snub for pocket carry. I already own a S&W 642 CT but would like a .357 for pocket carry. I am having trouble deciding between the two. So far, here are the pluses and minuses of each that I can think of at the moment:

S&W Model 60 Chief's Special .357 2 & 1/8 inch barrel:

+ Made from forged steel
    + Smooth action, great stock springs
    + Edges are finished well
    + I can change out my 642 CT grips onto a new Model 60
    + ~22 oz, so not to heavy but heavy enough to handel .357 loads
    + Conceals in my pocket just as easily as my 642, just a little heavier which I do not mind
    + I can put my CT on the S&W

- Has the lock
    - Does not have the safety feature where on the Ruger the gun will not fire from SA without the finger on the trigger
    - Slightly shorter barrel than the SP101

Ruger SP101 2 & 1/4 inch barrel:

+ Build like a tank, though made of cast and not forged steel
    + I like the build aesthetically slightly better than the S&W, I like the lug under the barrel too
    + ~25 oz which is a little heavier than the S&W, but will handle .357 slightly better
    + Slightly longer barrel than the S&W = more powder burn and more velocity from the .357 load

- Rugged edges, which aren't as smoothed out as the S&W
    - Trigger pull is not as nice stock as the S&W IMO
    - I can't put my CT laser grip on the Ruger

I do not know much about the difference in the extractor rods between the two. So far, this is what I have found. I have done a ton of research about these two models, though for some reason I can find more about the SP101 than the S&W. Is there anything that I am missing or that would make my decision a little easier?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Last edited by kashton; October 20th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.

Administrator
    Tough choice, both are great guns.

I think I would go with the SP, with a few light mods.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ruger any day of the week, and twice on Sundays! If you're going to pocket carry an all steel .357 Magnum I'm assuming you have big pockets and a good belt. If so, the 3 oz difference won't make much difference. The gun is stronger. The barrel length will not make any difference at all, sorry. Barrel/cylinder gap and chamber dimension difference will have more effect on velocity than an extra 1/8" longer barrel. If you need to pistol whip anybody, the Ruger will do a better job of it too!

Austin

S&W model 640 without the lock

Between the Ruger and the S&W I would go with the S&W because of its better trigger and smoother finish. But rather than the model 60, which has an external hammer, I would get the internal hammer model 640, to avoid snagging in pocket carry.

I figure if you have to use this gun you will be shooting double action at very close range, and the option of thumb cocking the revolver for a single action shot is not really necessary. So the double action trigger pull is all important, and the S&W trumps the Ruger in this regard.

I would also put short, two finger boot grips on the gun to make it easier to hide in the pocket. And I would look for a lightly used older model to avoid getting the S&W internal lock. I hate those locks and personally would not buy a gun with the lock, as they remind me of Bill Clinton.

Here is a photo of a 640 I saw on the Internet:

this is a hard one. both are good and will do the job. i carry a model 60 as a "bug" on the job, so to me a would go with the s&w. but this is a hard one.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Between the Ruger and the S&W I would go with the S&W because of its better trigger and smoother finish. But rather than the model 60, which has an external hammer, I would get the internal hammer model 640, to avoid snagging in pocket carry.

I figure if you have to use this gun you will be shooting double action at very close range, and the option of thumb cocking the revolver for a single action shot is not really necessary. So the double action trigger pull is all important, and the S&W trumps the Ruger in this regard.

I would also put short, two finger boot grips on the gun to make it easier to hide in the pocket. And I would look for a lightly used older model to avoid getting the S&W internal lock. I hate those locks and personally would not buy a gun with the lock, as they remind me of Bill Clinton.

Here is a photo of a 640 I saw on the Internet:

Thanks! That is a gorgeous gun. I hadn't even considered the 640. What is so bad about the lock if I am never going to use it?

How would I find a pre-lock 640?

Based on my experiences with Smith & Wesson reliability and durability I'd choose the Model 60 over the SP101. I honestly don't want a gun that is built like a tank. The S&W is more refined.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; October 20th, 2007 at 04:41 AM.

I have almost decided, and as of right now, I am leaning towards a new S&W Model 640. What do you think?

Sponsor
    I've had a 640-1 357 since the year they came out with them in the early/mid 90's or thereabouts.

It's a gun that will not be sold, among guns that have come and gone constantly over the years.

Here's mine, used/carried and still ready to defend after a lot years set up just like the picture. Berami hip grip, Tyler T finger grip, both been on the gun since right after I bought it.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

S&W model 640

Quote Originally Posted by kashton View Post
    Thanks! That is a gorgeous gun. I hadn't even considered the 640. What is so bad about the lock if I am never going to use it?

How would I find a pre-lock 640?
    I'm glad you are considering the 640 as an alternative. The best sources for used guns are:

- www.gunbroker.com
    - www.auctionarms.com
    - www.gunsamerica.com
    - the classifieds sections of various gun chat sites
    - local gun shows

I am biased against the S&W internal revolver lock for several reasons:

- Practical - the locks have been known to accidently go to "locked" status while shooting, which temporarily disables the gun and can get you killed.

- Symbolic - the lock symbolizes excessive gun control and anti gun hysteria to me, hence my reference to Bill Clinton, the former intern molester in chief.

- S&W hypocrisy - S&W sells semiautos without the lock, so why is the lock required on revolvers?

- Redundancy - there are simpler and easier ways to secure a revolver than an internal lock - for example, in a safe.

- Consumer preference - rather than forcing the lock on all revolver buyers, why can't S&W offer two versions of the guns, with and without lock, so consumers can choose?

Owning both (though the 60 is in .38 special) I have the following thoughts on your dilemma.

I shoot. I shoot a alot. Especially with my defensive handgun. That said the Ruger, especially with full house magnums, will have a much higher longevity then a gun made for .38's and modified to accept .357. Theres no getting around that. That was the reason I always wanted a SP101.

That said a 60...its natural habitat is a small pocket. That where it lives and feeds and raises its young. But a 101 is just big enough to make pocket carry difficult if you have small pockets.

I am a bigger guy, and I have bigger pockets amd as such no issue. Try them both...!

Lets put it this way...now that I own a Ruger...I still carry both!!!

Cast another vote for the Ruger sp101. I have been carrying the sp101 for about 2 years now. It is my primary ccw, which I carry comfortably concealed while dressed casually or in a suit, 12 months of the year.
    Last edited by greyhound1; October 20th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.

whw
    The 60 is a bit smaller and would be a good choice for pocket carry. I carry a 642 in the pocket for backup. The SP101 rides strong side IWB.
    Good luck with your choice. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

whw

I will probably be going with the S&W 640 .357.

I just went to the range yesterday and shot the S&W 340PD .357 and it kicked quite a bit, my hand still has some raw spots on it. It definitely wasn't impossible to control though so I am not worried about a 23 oz gun at all now.

Here you go. I went to the range yesterday and shot a 340PD with full magnum loads:

Lots of fun but my hand still hurts from 40 rounds lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links