My opinion of recoil of 442

This is a discussion on My opinion of recoil of 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got out to shoot my new 442 today. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my previous questions regarding this gun. My opinion ...

Thread: My opinion of recoil of 442

My opinion of recoil of 442

Well I got out to shoot my new 442 today. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my previous questions regarding this gun.
    My opinion is that the recoil of it with Blazer 158 lrn was very manageable. With both Hornady 125 +P XTP and Black Hills 125 +P XTP the recoil was about the same as my Glock 27 on .40 caliber. It had a bit of a snap to it, but nothing that bothered my wrist at all.
    I am very happy with this gun. It shot really well with the Black Hills load and at $22.99 for a box of 50, that will be my carry load. It was very accurate for me at 10 yards (1 1/2") so it shoots well, is affordable, and uses a great little bullet moving along at 1050 fps for an energy value of 306 ft lbs. The Hornady load was very respectable for accuracy too --about 3"-- and moves along at 1120 fps.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Congratulations. Makes me wish we had Cabela's here. The last time I was in a Cabela's was in Eden Prarie picking up some fishing lures.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Just curious, did you try Gold Dots or DPX?

I have only tried the Blazer, Black Hills, and Hornady so far. Had it out again today with some other guns and put a few more rounds thru it. I really like the Black Hills load. I ordered 5 more 50 round boxes of the Black Hills.

I purchased a little 442 for a bug, and it works pretty well. Recoil from any of the +p stuff was a bit hard on the palm of the hand but muzzle flip was easy to control.

I used both gold dots and hydrashocks, both getting about 1 inch at 7 yards, but not quite to the point of aim. I found that using 158 grain silver tip wadcutter hollow points got me to the point of aim, but was a bit more to handle and harder on the palms then I like. I stuck with the hydrashocks for carry.

Do you have the S&W stock grips on your 442, or have you swapped them out?

I have the stock grips and I find them to be very comfortable to shoot and very good for pocket carry.
    I had my GLock 26 out the other night and I think the recoil of the G26 is quite similar to the 442.
    I am very happy with the 442 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Do you have the S&W stock grips on your 442, or have you swapped them out?
    I swapped out my grips for a hogue monogrip. Didn't really help with the force of recoil, but it made it more comfortable to hold onto.

Thanks for posting the report. Very useful information!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Try the Gold Dot SB (short barrel) ammo.

I love my little 442 and carry it as my BUG to my 22-4 Revolver when Off-Duty.

I shoot either Corbon or Remington through mine and don't find the recoil to be unmanageable at all. My wife on the other hand doesn't like shooting the 442. So, it's not the gun for her, in fact, she prefers my Thunder Ranch Revolver.

Biker

I bought several boxes of 135 gr Gold Dot+p to shoot in my 442. That stuff is stout. I swear at the time it was advertised as "short barrel" but I got "Duty" and never noticed it for a couple of months.

I have owned a S&W 36,37 and 60 and a Taurus 85 and this light framed gun bucks more than any of them. It is not unmanageable but it is pretty hard kicking and I shoot a wide range of handguns a good bit.

I am a reloader and I loaded some softer 158 gr lead SWC loads for target use,plinking in the woods and shooting in BUG Matches. It is much easier to shoot but the light 442 still kicks more than the steel frame guns. Of course, I bought it for lightness of carry and it is light.

I could not recommend it to a beginner that had never shot much but for someone with some experience, it is a good gun.

Links