Any info Kimber ultra sp II

This is a discussion on Any info Kimber ultra sp II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; looking to get 1 of these pistols. Any info good or bad with em? The only real worry I have is the alum. frame it ...

Thread: Any info Kimber ultra sp II

Lead Moderator

looking to get 1 of these pistols. Any info good or bad with em? The only real worry I have is the alum. frame it has. thanks all.

Well All i can says is ive heard 50/50 about them ive shot one and it was ok not the best the one my buddie had .. Had some issues ftf and fte's mostly i played with it a bit and couldnt work it out last i knew it was at kimber...

Myself im starting to worry about the lightweight frames if you actually shoot... My smith is showing so heavy wear form 500 rounds or so gonna take a pic send it to smith see what they say..

Springfield told me to shoot the lightweight im picking up all i want it has a lifetime warrenty and they say its frame lifetime should be about the same as a carbon steel frame...

First manufacture that has told me that.

I own/carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II in .45

It was a great gun out of the box and I have not had any problem with it other than a pain in the *** to take down with the spring setup like it is. It is very accurate shooting the WWB and REM 185gr Truncated cone. It absolutely loves the Federal hydrashocks.

I have used this in IDPA and was shooting as good or better than other full size .45's Only reason I switched to a full size was to have te extra rounds available to play the GAME of IDPA.

I would wholeheartedly reccomend it.

Steven

yci
    I recently purchased a Kimber Ultra CDP II.

I'd been hearing, prior to my purchasing it, that some of the Ultras were having issues with failures to extract. Unfortunately mine is one of those. The failure to extract does not occur with every round, but frequent enough that I'm not willing to carry it just yet. I knew going into this that the FTE might be an issue so I'm ok with that, as all it should take is a call to Kimber to get a new extractor.

I plan to give the gun one more range session just to confirm my suspicion. The FTE aside, I am pleased with it. It does shoot very well.

I agree with standles on how it takes down.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You guys with the Kimber Ultra CDP II's. Try this----- Cut the little "L" shaped tool down. Cut the total length in half and cut the bend down so that the part that goes through the little hole is just long enough to go through(no excess). Take the slide and bbl OFF FIRST. Take the spring out before you compress it to put the little wire through it. This,to me makes the whole thing very easy.---------BTW,I love mine. 800 rds. through it and not one FTfeed,FTF,or FTE. I use Kimber mags also. I polished the mag"lips",the bbl ramp,and the chamber. It will function with(I have tried) 11 different brands of ammo. 8 of those have been HP's. For me,the COR-BON's are tooooo hot,but it will eat them. My Kimber is the "older" model,with the internal(1911 style) extractor. Again,I absolutely LOVE mine.---------

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Ref. the Kimber aluminum frame. The Kimber website sez---"tested to 20,000 rds. with no meaningful wear." Mine shows a little wear(what frame doesn't) but it is still tight with no wobble or shake.---------

yci
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    YMy Kimber is the "older" model,with the internal(1911 style) extractor.
    Forgot to specify mine has the external extractor.

Links