Carrying .45 acp: Glock or XD?

This is a discussion on Carrying .45 acp: Glock or XD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I would just like to say hello to everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum but I've been reading ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying .45 acp: Glock or XD?

First of all, I would just like to say hello to everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum but I've been reading it quite a bit lately and have found TONS of useful information, not to mention a few interesting stories ;)

My question, though, is this: Right now I own an almost new Glock 19 and I love it. It fits my hand like a glove and I haven't held anything that feels so perfect. However, I'm getting the itch for something new and more powerful. After doing some research and going to the local gun shop and also to the shooting range, I've picked .45 acp as my caliber of choice. As for the weapon to fire it, I've narrowed that down also. Right now I'm trying to decide between the XD45 Compact and one of the Glocks (NOT G.A.P). I've held both the XD45 and the G21 and G30. Here's what I came up with:

- The Glocks feel better in my hand, but the G30 is a little too small for me to comfortably shoot and the G21 is a little too large for me to easily conceal and carry.

- The XD is the right size (seemed to be pretty similar to my G19) but doesn't feel as comfortable, though it doesn't feel uncomfortable by any means.

- In the accuracy department, I did equally well with both the XD and the Glocks. However, I was forced to shoot the XD9 because no XD45 was available. My accuracy with the XD9 was no better or worse than my accuracy with my G19.

I always thought I was a Glock fan until I started reading these forums and Springfield's website. The XD is really attractive to me, and Glock doesn't offer a compact in .45 acp. For concealed carry, should I go ahead with the XD 45 Compact and be on both sides of the Glock/XD fence simultaneously? Or should I stick with the company I know and love and either get the G21 or G30?

Also if I can ask a favor, please try to limit any responses to the guns mentioned above. Sorry for such a long post, but hopefully those more knowledgeable than myself can show me the light!

Administrator
    Welcome to DC from another Cincinnatian.

Dont forget the G36. It is a 45 ACP subcompact from Glock.

If it were me, I'd buy a Glock but I also wouldnt get caught up the the "fan clubs" and not buy the gun than suits your needs best because of the brand. As long as its a reputable make and model, go for it. I dont care for the XD at all, but that doesnt mean its not a good choice for you.

PM me if you want to know where to get the best service/prices in the area. (It aint the place in Sharonville)
    "Just blame Sixto"

After reading your post I'd suggest "dancing with who brung ya' " and sticking with Glock unless you just really want to gain experience with the XD. Your own Glock comments make it pretty clear that you wouldn't go wrong with a .45 ACP version of the same.

I agree with you about the .45 GAP. Ballistically speaking it's fine but it's currently overwhelmed on the ammunition shelves with .45 ACP of all persuasions and at lower prices.

Welcome to the Forum!

A four inch 1911. Slim, trim, and comfortable to carry. Better trigger, too.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Glock would be my choice

Like you I own a Glock 19 and feel the size is about perfect for concealed carry. Since you are already familiar with the trigger and feel of a Glock, it probably makes more sense for you to stick with that brand for a .45.

Of the two Glocks you mentioned - G21 and G30 - I think the G21 is a little large for concealed carry and is more of a range or duty gun. So that would leave the G30, which has a slide very similar in dimensions to the G19, but a wider grip to handle the .45 ammo.

I believe I would set up the G30 with one of the Pearce grip extensions that gives your little finger an anchor point but leaves the back of the grip shorter for good concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    I would also suggest a 1911, better feel better trigger, more accurate and easier to conceal.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Try and find a shop with the G21 SF (short frame) It feels much better in the hand than the original g21. You may find youlike it and go for the full size. You might even try getting one or the other and sending it to Bowie Tactical and get a grip reduction. Their stuff looks really neat.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Since this is supposed to be between Glocks and XDs, I'm not going to suggest a 1911.

Have you looked into the Glock 21SF? It has a slightly smaller grip circumference than the regular 21. Mostly in the front to back measurement.

G 21SF would also be my suggestion, if you want a Glock in 45 acp. It is a bit slimmer in the grip profile, over their other .45 models. You also may want to consider the G23, which is exactly the same as the G19, but in the more powerful .40 SW. This would be a step up from the your 9mm G19.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    OK I am going to split from the pack here and put my vote in for the XD45 compact. I am also a fan of Glocks. I have a Glock22 that I dearly love and just got rid of a Glock 37 that was a wonderful pistol. However I carry an XD45 compact. I have been very pleased with this platform. It takes a little time to get used to the XD after shooting Glocks for many years. Once you do get comfortable with it I think you will love it. Mine has never had a malfunction. With the shorter grip it will conceal easier than the full size Glocks. So go with the XD and don't look back. Also be sure and check out K&D Leather for the perfect holster to go with the XD.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Both of them are great guns. The XD45C is a nice pistol. The problem I ran into with XD is that you can't buy parts from it. If that's not an issue for you, then I'd say go for it as it feels better (try the 21 SF first though). Springfield has a great warranty for sure.

Otherwise, imo, you can't go wrong with the same manual of arms and a pistol that will get the job done. Plus there is a much better aftermarket for the Glock.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have the Glock-36...it fits my hand very well (single stack), but you may want to add the mag extension. It's about equal in size to my Kimber Ultra...actually a little easier to conceal...never thought I would own a Glock, but the feel of the 36 did catch my attention...just had to have one...now it's one of my two EDC's...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    You also may want to consider the G23, which is exactly the same as the G19, but in the more powerful .40 SW. This would be a step up from the your 9mm G19.
    +1.... The .40S&W is a fantastic round to consider, almost the same size of the 9mm, but very close to the same stopping capability as the .45ACP.

And another plus for the 23 is that you can use any holsters that you already have for the 19.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I'm gonna have to vote for the XD, I carry my 4in service model XD45 daily and I'm not that big of a guy. The xd fits me perfectly.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post

"Also if I can ask a favor, please try to limit any responses to the guns mentioned above."

To the OP, I would suggest remaining with GLOCK, and checking out the subcompact G36 to see if it fits your grip like your 19 does. Why have to familiarize yourself with another platform? There is something to be said for consistency of training, and you already have experience with Glocks. If you were to go with the XD when you get a .45, you will have to start again, learn the weapon system, train with it, etc. You introduce the greater possibility of having a "brain fart" and under stress, trying to make the XD work like the Glock you're used to. Could be disastrous.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links