Stoeger Cougar range report

This is a discussion on Stoeger Cougar range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all went to the range yesterday and my friend from work brought his new 9mm Stoeger Cougar. Never been fired before and his first ...

Thread: Stoeger Cougar range report

Stoeger Cougar range report

We all went to the range yesterday and my friend from work brought his new 9mm Stoeger Cougar. Never been fired before and his first handgun.

I got to put a few magazines through it and here is my impressions.

First, I really like the grip on the gun. Much better than the grip on the Beretta 92 (M9).
    The sights are pretty basic, three dot sights but functional. The dots could have been a little brighter but some sight paint will fix that for him.

The gun has less felt recoil than I expected. It shoots pretty soft. Muzzle flip is less than in my 92. The fully enclosed slide all adds some weight to it and keeps the flip down I guess.

His Cougar shoots low and to the left. He will have to work on the sights to correct that. At 21 feet, it was printing about 7 inches low and 3 inches left of point of aim. Now, that is pretty bad but, the gun did cont him all of $350. On the other hand, this thing is a Beretta with someone else's name on the side. So I would have expected better.

Once we figured out how low and how left it was shooting, we did very well. The rotating barrel really does seem to be more accurate than the tilt barrel system. After adjusting for the low/left problem, we were able to keep all rounds in a nice tight group that was about 3 inches wide with a couple of flyers.

All in all, the gun is very handy.

It strips much like the 92 and cleans pretty easily. Nothing really new there except for the rotating barrel that changes the internal structure a bit. Actually makes the gun a little easier to put back together though.

Over all, for $350 it is a great gun. Just a little work to be down to get it to shoot more to point of aim and he will have a top notch carry gun and a good first handgun.

It was the first time he had fired a handgun and he had a great time. Now, if he can just get his wife to stop being a such a Hoplaphobe he'll be doing good.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the report Mike.

I've handled a few at gun shops, but never shot one. It feels good enough to have intrigued me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Nice report

The Beretta Cougar (now Stoeger) is an interesting gun. I have never owned one, but have handled them at gun shows. The grip is one of the most comfortable and ergonomic I have seen on a handgun.

The gun never sold very well in the ten or more years that Beretta offered it. I think the reason is that Beretta is not that good at marketing, and polymer framed guns were taking a large share of the market from metal frame guns like the Cougar. The Cougar was a little on the heavy side, and rather thick in the slide so it didn't look as attractive for CCW as some other guns.

But the rotating barrel design was a nice touch, and did seem to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. If you can now buy the Stoeger version for $350 the gun is a bargain, as Beretta was selling it for over $500 ten years ago, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    His Cougar shoots low and to the left. He will have to work on the sights to correct that. At 21 feet, it was printing about 7 inches low and 3 inches left of point of aim. Now, that is pretty bad but, the gun did cont him all of $350.
    You will probably find this is not the fault of the gun but is due to trigger control. This can easily be overcome by bringing the trigger back in a straightline and through avoiding flinching.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

thanks for that report,,

Thanks for posting.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

This might help, I wish i had it on a card..
    Shows where your misses might be coming from,,
    http://reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    You will probably find this is not the fault of the gun but is due to trigger control. This can easily be overcome by bringing the trigger back in a straightline and through avoiding flinching.
    Nope. It is the gun. I was shooting the gun and while I do not claim to be a perfect shot, I am a pretty good shot. I can put the rounds exactly where I want them with my Glock 23, my Beretta 92, my wife's XD and any other gun I own and know the sights are set up correctly.

And, I was shooting my friends Cougar from a rest. Not free hand. Trust me, it's the gun.
    We also has 2 other people shoot the gun and they had exactly the same results. Low and to the left. It's the gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"Nope. It is the gun."

Then your course is clear. Drift the rear sight the appropriate amount right and either file/grind/reduce the height of the front sight the appropriate amount carefully, or see if you can locate a shorter one.

At least it doesn't shoot high. Then you'd be up the creek.

You don't say what ammo you were using, but I'm sure you know that as velocity increases, the lower the impact, and vice-versa. Hard to know what load (115-124-147), etc. the manufacturer had in mind when they put the original sights on.

Pretty gun. Made in Turkey I believe.

Links