Glock, XD, Sig, HK - My Thoughts

This is a discussion on Glock, XD, Sig, HK - My Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the record I shoot a Glock 19 as my Every Day Carry except for in warmer weather when I sometimes carry the Glock 26. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock, XD, Sig, HK - My Thoughts

Glock, XD, Sig, HK - My Thoughts

For the record I shoot a Glock 19 as my Every Day Carry except for in warmer weather when I sometimes carry the Glock 26. The Glock verses the world posts are everywhere and I am not intending to debate them again I just wanted to comment on my recent experiences. While at our personal shooting range this weekend I got the opportunity to shoot several other firearms. I know I am not comparing apples to apples here as they were in different models and calibers but I did get a good chance to evaluate features and functions of them.

First was a Springfield sub compact XD9. This would be a direct comparison to the Glock 26 I currently shoot. I only fired about 50 rounds from this gun. About 20 from a stationary position at a fixed target and the rest of the rounds were fired in an IDPA type situation. I shot the gun using the extended magazine and I found it shoots as accurate as the 26 and it performed flawlessly for the few rounds I fired. I do happen to know the owner and he has only fired about 500 rounds through it but there have been no problems at all. While the grip angle is different than the Glock I had no problem at all finding the sights and using them. I sometimes think way too much emphasis is put on this difference in grip angle. My time/score with the XD was less than a second slower than my Glock which I am very used to. The trigger pull was very similar to the Glock and I would be hard pressed to say it was better or worse. The grip safety on the XD was never a problem for me but is really not needed to my line of thinking so it is simply a matter of preference. Other features of the gun such chamber indicators and such had no bearing on the guns performance and should be left to the shooters needs. The fit and finish of the XD are as expected for the price range and it is plain and ugly just like the Glock. The XD sub compact is sized right for concealed carry and would make a great gun for anyone. While Glock may have an edge with aftermarket parts, accessories and ease of repair &maintenance, side by side in the field I believe both of these guns to be great shooters.

Next up was my brothers Sig Sauer 225 in 9mm. The single stack magazine in the 225 makes for a slim profile and while you give up some rounds (I believe it was 8+1) you gain a great size pistol. Now this is a nice size firearm for concealed carry however I can’t imagine carrying an all steel gun when the polymer pistols are so prevalent. Looking at the Sig you can easily see a higher level of craftsmanship than in either the Glock or the XD. I shot about 100 rounds out of the Sig and it was a very accurate shooter as well. The extra weight of the steel gun really helps in reducing muzzle jump. About 80 rounds were used on the IDPA targets and I never did beat my Glock time but again was within less than a second. The gun functioned flawlessly and gave me no reason to think it would ever do anything other than continue to do so. The double / single trigger was different and was not at all hard to get used to. While smooth and consistent I found the double action trigger much longer and harder than I expected. The single action trigger pull was also heavier than expected as it was only slightly less than the Glock trigger I am accustomed too. As a Glock shooter there were far more levers than I was used to. To me they seem to just clutter up the gun but they do serve a valuable purpose. I might add that I really liked the way the Sigs de cock lever worked. You could depress the lever and then let the hammer down slowly. I must admit that while the lack of an external thumb safety on the Glock makes some people shiver the hard “click” of a de cocker makes me feel the same way. Just shows that it is all in what you are used to.

The last gun I shot this weekend was an HK USP Tactical in 45 Auto. I’m a 9mm guy so I had a lot of fun shooting the 45. While some may say different I think the 45 is a very manageable round in most auto loaders and would never shy away from carrying one based solely on recoil. The HK is full size so it is a bigger firearm than the others I have commented about and it was really nice to shoot. The HK was no more accurate than the others at combat distances but offered an accuracy advantage out at 25 yards and beyond. The USP model is a polymer based frame as well so the weight was not bad at all for the size of the gun. The HK really seemed to feel good in my hands and the fit and finish were impeccable even for a plastic gun. It too has more levers than needed but I did take a liking to the magazine release located at the bottom of the trigger guard. The trigger was near perfect but I do believe it is an adjustable trigger so the owner had it set where it needed to be. I fired a little over 100 rounds out of this gun and had two FTF. The owner was supplying some commercial reloads for ammo so I will chock the FTF’s up to shooting the reloads. The HK was a very fine firearm all in all but I must mention that it has that hard “click” decock that makes me cringe.

Please take this write up for what it is, one man’s opinions based on limited shooting and handling of the above firearms. I am not an expert so many of the details I noticed may not be important to some but might be of interest to some other non experts on here. In closing I must say that the Glock and the XD are very similar and comparable firearms. The Sig Sauer and the Heckler& Koch are super nice weapons and upon a glance a much higher end firearm than the Glock and the XD. They also function and perform as expected from a firearm of this caliber. However even if money was no object nothing I saw this weekend would ever lead me to believe that my Glock is in any way un able to perform side by side with the big boys.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    For the record I shoot a Glock 19 as my Every Day Carry except foThe single stack magazine in the 225 makes for a slim profile and while you give up some rounds (I believe it was 8+1) you gain a great size pistol. Now this is a nice size firearm for concealed carry however I can’t imagine carrying an all steel gun when the polymer pistols are so prevalent.
    I believe you'll find that the P225 frame is aluminum and the dry weight is only about 29 oz, with magazine.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Thanks for the writeup . no news to me but folks who have not owned/ shot each of the models will befit from your experiance .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    I believe you'll find that the P225 frame is aluminum and the dry weight is only about 29 oz, with magazine.
    KnightHawk,

I stand corrected. You may be correct I do not know for sure nor did I research it. I know the Sig was noticably heavier than the polymer pistols at the table. I think my Glock is about 20 oz.

I was just stating my thoughts from the field but thanks for the correction.

~ Thomas Jefferson

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have HK's, SIGs, and the Croatian plastic XD, as well as Glocks.

They are all Great Pistols. The so called torcher tests that people swear buy are extreme ends of the spectrum that most people are not going to come close to in their daily activities of carring a pistol. Expecially, since most citizens carry something because its SEXY or they saw it in a movie. However, its still fun and nice to know the capabilities of something. Kind of like having a viper and you probably never going to use the capabilities of the car, but you being the law-abiding citizen who never breaks the speed limit beyond minor traffic violations, usually due to the slip of your foot has a car that goes Mach 2.5.

Heres the thing. Unless there is a manufacturer DEFECT, HK's, SIGS, GLOCKS, SPRINGFIELD, SMITH, ETC.......>>>>i.e. BIG manufactures have put a lot of R&D into their pistols and they are probably going to function very well if not the appearance of flawless when its brand new or with low round counts.

Most people that have your question or do not shoot more than 1 time a month , don't shoot enough to actuall see what the the rigors of energy will actually cause a pistol to due. I.E. SLIDE cracking, or recoil springs wearing.

The shop I work at part time has rental guns, and its facinating to watch what guns hold up and what guns really don't just from people shooting them. Not Freezing them or throwing them out of planes but actual internal energy fromthe act of shooting them is the biggest wear and tear, and its very cool to see what types break and what holds up.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have HK's, SIGs, and the Croatian plastic XD, as well as Glocks.

The shop I work at part time has rental guns, and its facinating to watch what guns hold up and what guns really don't just from people shooting them. Not Freezing them or throwing them out of planes but actual internal energy fromthe act of shooting them is the biggest wear and tear, and its very cool to see what types break and what holds up.
    Would you care to share what you know regarding what holds up well and what doesn't, from what you have observed? Please....

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Would you care to share what you know regarding what holds up well and what doesn't, from what you have observed? Please....
    That would be good info................

~ Thomas Jefferson

Comments on Glocks and things

Freetrapper said:
    However even if money was no object nothing I saw this weekend would ever lead me to believe that my Glock is in any way unable to perform side by side with the big boys.
    This posting was interesting to read because it showed the comments of a person who is very familiar with one gun (Glock 19) after using new guns from other manufacturers. Although he saw merit in the other brands, he decided to stick with his Glock.

I have a couple of Glocks and in the past have carried them and shot them quite a bit. I also have some of the other brands mentioned and have used and carried them at various times. Although I am not firmly set on one brand, model or caliber, I have to agree with Freetrapper's final conclusion that the Glock can perform alongside any of the other brands as a defensive handgun.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    That would be good info................
    Well I have a few times and people get upset and huffy puffy.

I'll give you my biases first then my conclussions'

I used to be a SIG Fan Have the GOT SIG sticker on the back of my truck still to prove it.

I have never owned a .45 ACP 1911 platform. But I have owned 10mm 1911 platforms.

I converted to Glock from SIG about 1 year ago.

and I'm a virgo.

The SIGS have a Tendancy to to rattle the grip screws loose after a while, and are probably the ones that need to be cleaned the most.

The Beretta is accused of breaking all the time, but honeslty I think I can remember one time it was broken and I think that was one of the role pins comeing out.

HK USP's have held up very nicely.
    HK 2000 are a little bit more finicky

S/A's XD we got 4 of them in under a 20,000 round count we had some problems. Now all we are left with is the .40 full size. Two of them had failures that made it so we had to send them back to the factory. I'm not the company armorer I just know the guns left the store.

The Glocks are probably the most rented guns.

The G17 and 19 have probably easily pushed the 100k round count. The only thing I can think of is somebody put a pair of SIG rears on one of the glocks cause the rear sights fell off. I don't know why they put SIG Factory rear sights on but it looks really strange. The Glocks hold up very nicely but the G31, G32's end up breaking the return springs occassionally, however, to an experienced Glock shooter this makes no difference. The G34 actually cracked the slide and it went unnoticed for who knows how long, but it still functioned flawlessly.

The only GLOCK at our shop that has had significant problems is the Glock 36.

We haven't had the S&W M&Ps Long enough to see if they hold up, but so far they haven't had a problem.

1911's we contantly have issues with them. Exspecially the Kimber with the external extractor, the SIG has been very finicky, the one that has had the least probles is the S/A GI, but its had its share of problems, with about a 25,000 round count.

I've come to these overall conclussions.

1) The Best gun in the world along with the best caliber, and type of ammuntion, is the one you have in your hand the time the attack starts to happen.
    2) Everybody is differn't after trying to force a loved one to carry one manufucture she finally said she just didn't like them. I mean I tried every caliber, and size in that type of gun, and she still said she was most comfortable with the XD. So thats what shes got. I hate them personally but as far as I am concerned the best gun in the world is the XD (for HER).

3) To an inexperienced shooter who decides to pick up a gun and treat it like a tool most modern day designs from a good reputable company will function very well or close to flawless under the conditions the average joe/ jane citizen generally goes through daily.

4) 1911 although not a modern design still has a cult following that when toyed with creates unwanted attention.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Freetrapper said:

This posting was interesting to read because it showed the comments of a person who is very familiar with one gun (Glock 19) after using new guns from other manufacturers. Although he saw merit in the other brands, he decided to stick with his Glock.

You are correct. I have very little time behind the other firearms and I really enjoyed playing with them and must say I liked them all. I have always wondered if I had spent the money on something else would I have been that much better off. I am sure there may be somebody else out there wondering about another brand or model so I thought I would share my thoughts. In the end I think my Glock will do if I will do.

~ Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The shop I work at part time has rental guns, and its facinating to watch what guns hold up and what guns really don't just from people shooting them.
    IMHO this is a no brainer . What holds up is well made firearms , what fails is poorly made firearms . This has little to do with price and a lot to do with detail work . Now while i dont want to start a brand war here i will say look for quality over price or quality that is affordable . Field strip the pistol and look at it , if possible line up 3+ of the same brand on the counter before you buy and strip them , if two out of three show huge mill marks in hidden areas then most likely you dont want that brand ect.. . For myself i detest glock pistols , but i dont say they are bad pistols , they are fine handguns that work for many ... just not me . If i said that glocks are bad i would be a liar , my issue with them is not function but fit .Similary i have a Walther p model from the 70s made in Germany and no finer pistol has ever been built . However you can buy the same pistol today as a new gun and it may well be a piece of crap ( remember the strip 3 thing from above ? and as a side note if your counterperson cannot help you strip any firearm in the store buy elsewhere ( another rant ) . ) the best name in handguns is not a garontee that you will get a good one , but you will get good customer service . Buy well , Be well .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My take on all this starts with the Beretta I've had for 8 years with only a recoil spring change. I've used it a lot. 10K+

I decided a year ago to by a 45 XD and have used that also. 1K+

The only gun I have seen fail miserably is the Taurus PT*PRO

Everything else, that reasonable people know about, should be ok.

Hey Freetrapper. I'm still looking for my carry gun, and trying out as many as possible, so your post has been a GREAT help! Thanks!

Lead Moderator
    Most of the major companies make excellent guns. And gun can and will break eventually. I went with a HK USP for my first carry gun, then after trying several others , settled on a 1911 SA Champ. It works well for me , due to having a thumb safety and the same grip angle from gun to gun.
    Nothing wrong with Glock, they shoot and work well too. Nice write up, nice to hear others opinions.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is a great thread. There's a lot of honest and experienced opinions and no trashing. I have learned a few things here today, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links