XS Rear Sight Installation - Help!...

This is a discussion on XS Rear Sight Installation - Help!... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm too bright when it comes to gunsmithing. I recently picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry and had some XS 24/7 standard dot sights installed ...

Thread: XS Rear Sight Installation - Help!...

XS Rear Sight Installation - Help!...

I'm too bright when it comes to gunsmithing. I recently picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry and had some XS 24/7 standard dot sights installed (I will be sure to post pics of the rig when I get the gun up and running). I noticed upon shooting a few rounds the rear sight screws came loose and therefore the sight moved. I removed the sight and noticed the little spring (see picture) that goes in the hole in the sight. With the spring in, the rear part of the sight actually is lifted off the slide (see 2nd pic). But without, the sight lays flat on the slide.

Wondering what is the best way to install this sight?
    The sights came with a tube of Red Loctite.
    Should I put a little on the screws and lock the sight in?
    Do I put a little on the bottom of the sight to affix it to the slide?
    Should I leave that spring in or out? Thereby having the rear part of sight lifted or against the slide.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

The model numbers of all XS sight sets are listed with a numerical suffix: for example, the standard dot, pinned front sight for my J-frame was RV-0001N-4.

That last number is what you want to get, because it points you to the proper chapter of the large instruction sheet that accompanies each set that is ordered from XS.

Now, I'm not sure from reading your post whether you ordered the sights from XS and then gave them to a gunsmith to install, or whether the outfit that installed the sights handled the ordering, in which case the instruction sheet probably never came to you.

Anyway, see if you can get the model number of your sight set, then look for that last number (-#). Then get the instruction sheet and refer to the "chapter" that discusses proper installation of you particular set.

XS does recommend red loctite in many, if not all, cases to prevent sight screw movement after the gun has been sighted in to your satisfaction. So if no loctite was used in your case yet, I'm sure that will be the #1 recommended fix. Wait and see what others will say; I have only ever installed pinned front XS sights (on my revos), and so have no first-hand experience with rear sights, sight screws, sighting in, etc.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I'm too bright when it comes to gunsmithing. I recently picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry and had some XS 24/7 standard dot sights installed (I will be sure to post pics of the rig when I get the gun up and running). I noticed upon shooting a few rounds the rear sight screws came loose and therefore the sight moved. I removed the sight and noticed the little spring (see picture) that goes in the hole in the sight. With the spring in, the rear part of the sight actually is lifted off the slide (see 2nd pic). But without, the sight lays flat on the slide.

Wondering what is the best way to install this sight?
    The sights came with a tube of Red Loctite.
    Should I put a little on the screws and lock the sight in?
    Do I put a little on the bottom of the sight to affix it to the slide?
    Should I leave that spring in or out? Thereby having the rear part of sight lifted or against the slide.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    That spring is for your Series II safety. Unless you want to remove the rest of the series II crap, you need the spring to stay in.

I wouldn't loctite the rear sight iteself as you need to adjust the sight for drift, once it is properly aligned, then you apply the loctite for the screws on the rear sight and let it set.

If you apply the loctite to the base of the sight, it may set before the sight is properly aligned.

Put all the guts back in, put the rear sight back in and hand tighten the screws, shoot a test group USING A REST, if it's centered remove and loctite one screw at a time ensuring that the screws and sight are clean, use some alchohol to clean them and then dry the parts. If it's not centered, adjust for windage and repeat testing untill you get it right, then loctite one screw at a time.

Good luck.

Links