One of these things is not like the other...

This is a discussion on One of these things is not like the other... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first conceived of carrying a personal arm, even as a child, I knew I wanted to carry two. This was before I knew ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of these things is not like the other...

When I first conceived of carrying a personal arm, even as a child, I knew I wanted to carry two. This was before I knew of the concept of a BUG.

However it was always my intention to carry two firearms with interchangeable ammunition and identical manuals of arms. To be honest I feel I will crack and pick up a pair of .357s some day just so I can make a setup where this is possible. The thought of it makes me giddy with mall ninja glee.

But the more I learned, the more I got into it, and now that I'm actually doing it, the more I realized that there are so many considerations for any individual's carry guns it's mind numbing. I wound up with a pair of carry guns I'd never have thought to even try just a few years ago.

The XD40 and 642 are way way different and yet the pair of them satisfy me. Neither of them are my favorite guns to shoot by any means, but for carry guns they both please me greatly thus far. But they have nothing in common. The manual of arms is nowhere near the same.

But I know a lot of people greatly prefer a setup where they carry two guns which can use each other's magazines, ammunition, etc. to some degree.

I wonder how many of us carry two completely different guns, and how many of us carry two which have some degree of mechanical interchangeability, and how many of us don't fit either category.

VIP Member

Done both

I have carried a S&W 610/Sig P228, S&W 624/BHP, S&W 629/Sig P220 and the variations of those combos. I like a revolver and carry the semi-auto as a backup. I also carry 642, especially in the warmer weather.

I also coordinate with friends who carry so we usually have at least one interchangable gun between us. The P220 usually gets the duty at those times as my friend is very partial to his P220. However I have found that Sig P220 mags work in my SA 1911 and vice-versa. So that combo works for us as well.

-Scott-

Lead Moderator
    If I liked Glock pistols better I would carry a pair of .40 cal. a sub compact and a compact. As it is I have an assortment depending on clothing and weather considerations. Who knows I may go all 1911 pistols one day soon.

Administrator
    I sure could be wrong about this but, I think the original idea of ammo/ magazine interchangeability & compatibility had its roots in Law Enforcement (between officers) & the military (between troops) & not for the individual defensively armed citizen.
    I really can't see being in the middle of a fire~fight & saying to myself:
    "Oh Wait...my primary 9mm pistol is out of commission...let me strip the rounds out of my extra 9mm magazines & use them in my nifty, rare 9mm Back~Up Revolver to finish off the bad guys.
    Sorry...but, that is probably not very realistic.
    So if you were concerned about that sort of thing then you really would need to (just about) carry two absolutely identical firearms.
    When the S.H.T.F. & "******" you need to go for your Back Up Gun...you are not going to have too much time care to care if it's perfectly compatible with your main carry firearm.
    Let's try not to confuse Wilderness Survival with Daily Defensive Carry.

Now I should add that I CAN see some logic in perhaps a Husband & Wife / Boyfriend/Girlfriend - Mom & Dad packing the same Primary revolver or pistol.

Assistant Administrator
    I like the idea of interchangeable cal - and compatability but - as QK mentions - in the heat of a situation I think the BUG will just have to be grabbed and used - whatever it is. My only BUG most of the time is an NAA mini in a pocket - easy to reach and all but invisible.

It may be totally ''mouse'' with 22 mag but - it is still something that just might save the day if up close and personal with an aggressor and SIG has gone south.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree with QK and p95 i dont usually carry a bug just more ammo ive thought about it but what are the odd's my primary gun will break in my time off need sure i might have to relaod but thatd what i pratice for

Administrator

Don't Knock The NAA MINI .22

P95 Did you know that more drug dealers kill other drug dealers with the NAA Mini than with any other firearm?
    They keep it "palmed" & then do a sneaky head shot with it.
    Far as I'm concerned Drug Dealers can kill as many other drug dealers as they want to. Just thought you would want to know that your NAA is a very effective firearm as a BUG.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For the past year I've been carrying a Taurus 651 loaded with .38+P as a primary. It will go to back-up status once I get more comfortable with my S&W 21-4 TRS .44special.

That being said, I'm still considering another 651 so I can have one for each pocket.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    It is a great idea to have full ammo and mag (if applicable) compatability between primary and BUG, but it isn't an absolute necessity. I think of my BUG as an "all else has failed" weapon. However, since aquiring the 642 I have been carrying the 13 more frequently as I can swap .38sp among them.

As for the history of such, I do know that the cowboys of the "Old West" often used a carbine and revolver of the same loading so as to only need one type of cartridge.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I carry a Kahr Arms P9 in 9MM as my primary, and recently aquired a 2 shot derringer in 9MM as a back up. It fits neatly into my pants pocket. My primary reason for carrying this was when driving. My P9 is carried in an IWB tuckable at about 4:00 so it is almost impossible to get to when buckled in. The derringer on the other hand is easy for me to access if needed. It is only meant to give me an edge, not go to war with.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Far as I'm concerned Drug Dealers can kill as many other drug dealers as they want to. ......................... NAA is a very effective firearm as a BUG.
    QK - amen to your first statement quoted - save everyone a loada trouble! And yep - can imagine a palmed mini and cap to head would be well ''efficient''! Of course too - them ''homi's'' ain't got too much brain to blow out anways!
    Chris - P95

As far as the Bug goes, the NAA Mini is a GREAT idea to have in case the SHTF senerio, right up close, and either between the eyes, ear, or against the chest. I've had my High Standard 22 mag derringer for "just in case" (I bought that one for 99.00 brand new) wayyyyyyyy back when, yet I keep going back to it, for certain situations/and or weather. It's a satin nickle finish, so it's more durable than blue.
    When it goes off...........Huge fireball.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - often thought - a .44 Mag snub as BUG - just loaded with blanks probably could on contact - do some serious damage to a BG's head!

''But your honor - I was only carrying blanks - I mean - heck, wouldn't want to hurt anyone!!''

OK - I'll stick with the Mini!
    Chris - P95

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Bob - often thought - a .44 Mag snub as BUG - just loaded with blanks probably could on contact - do some serious damage to a BG's head!

''But your honor - I was only carrying blanks - I mean - heck, wouldn't want to hurt anyone!!''

OK - I'll stick with the Mini!
    LoL Chris Yes, I DO carry that S&W 629 3inch pretty often as a bug. I do believe if I would be able to put em down with just the muzzle flash alone. When I carry it, I kinda "list" to one side, so I gotta balance it off with one of my other handguns. BTW, I sent that piece to Mag-Na-Port, sooo I'm dying to find out how it shoots when I get it back

Assistant Administrator
    Let me know Bob re that porting - I had thought of it for my 4" 629 but - thus far it seems a lot of expense for potentially more ''flash in the face''! If it does really help on muzzle lift then maybe I'll still consider it.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links