Impulse Buy Kimber Tactical Ultra II

This is a discussion on Impulse Buy Kimber Tactical Ultra II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my wife approached me the other day and said she wants to start carrying. I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with going to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, my wife approached me the other day and said she wants to start carrying. I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with going to the gun shop and not be there for a new gun for me. We went to day and she bought a Kahr MK9. I spotted a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and on impulse bought it. I have done no research I just liked how the gun felt in my hand. I am looking for some feedback on this handgun. (Good or Bad) Also, some holster options would be helpful.

Does it have an internal or external extractor? If external then it is at least a year old. Kimber stopped making them. There we problems with the external extractors. A lot off FTF and FTE. Some will say there was no problem. I owned one for a while but got rid of it. I am not a big 1911 fan even though I still own one.

Quote Originally Posted by hdphat2k3 View Post
    Well, my wife approached me the other day and said she wants to start carrying. I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with going to the gun shop and not be there for a new gun for me. We went to day and she bought a Kahr MK9. I spotted a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and on impulse bought it. I have done no research I just liked how the gun felt in my hand. I am looking for some feedback on this handgun. (Good or Bad) Also, some holster options would be helpful.
    The Kimber Ultras are all an excellent size for carry. A very popular holster for these units (and consequently hard to come by) is the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. There's a 4-6 month long wait if you get them directly from Milt Sparks, but careful and frequent checking with Lightning Arms or Top Gun (don't be afraid to call--sometimes you can get a heads up before they are advertised online) will usually pay off well before the wait time from MS. Problem is you may pay a 20-25% premium for it. I've found it to be worth the extra $25 or so.

The biggest issue with the Ultras are the 3" barrel size. Many 1911 fans will tell you they are unreliable due to the short slide cycling time and other things inherent with the configuration. Indeed some prove to require some tweaking and tuning and one or more trips back to Kimber for warranty service. Many others work well without the extra headaches. Be prepared to run several hundred rounds (300-500) to break it in and figure out if anything needs extra work. Don't let that scare you--they are good guns. I have an Ultra CDP II that I REALLY like. It took a trip back to Kimber and some extractor tweaking to get it shooting properly, but all the bugs seems to be worked out. It's a fantastic little gun.

Administrator
    I've made much worse impulse buys, I'm sure you will be pleased with this one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Holster ideas

A 3 inch 1911 is a good candidate for an IWB holster, as the gun has a very slim slide (0.90 inches thick) and fits easily inside the waistband. Since this short barrel gun can be top heavy when holstered, the grip will tend to swing outward away from body unless it is securely anchored. An IWB holster puts the belt outside the gun and holster, pressing it firmly into your side and anchoring it well.

Here is a holster by Mitch Rosen called the ARG Express (ARG=Ayoob Rear Guard, after the designer). It is shown with a 3 inch barrel Kimber. Note that the belt loop is located behind the gun rather than on top of it, to keep the thickness minimal in the area of the gun. These cost about $85 or $90 from Rosen or Gunner's Alley, but can sometimes be bought on Ebay for less.

I had a kimber ultra .45 ..it went click bang every time..Great "impulse" buy...

I have two Kimbers...no problems...
    You apparently have great impulses!
    Enjoy...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have an Ultra Carry II with the logo'd CTC grips and have never had a FTF or FTE in almost two years. She'll eat anything and for a 3", it's amazingly accurate. Since I predominantly pocket carry, she'll stay at home for now as I've yet to find an IWB that is comfortable.

BTW, mine was an impulse buy as well...Took me a month to tell the little lady...

Enjoy your Kimber!

schwazche

Yes, the dreaded impulse buy. My last impulse buy was a fullsize Smith & Wesson M&P which I have grown to love. Fortunately back when I got it, there wasn't a little lady in the picture, so I had no explaining to do.

Congrats on the Kimber and for your wife wanting to carry!

I like mine.

This one has CT grips....Kimber replaced the ambi safey with a left side one.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Here's my Ultra II in a Pale Horse Speed Scabbard:
    Attached Images

Kimber Tac II Pro Size ... absolutely love it.

nothing wrong with a impulse buy. i do it all the time when it comes to guns. also, nothing wrong with the brand. you will like it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Just had an impulse buy today also, an H&K p2000 sub-kompact in 9mm.
    Amazingly accurate and fun to shoot. LNIB w/everything and 3 mags :$600 otd.
    I thought it was a fair price for my area.

Man I wish I could of impulsed buy on my Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless. I'm making the last payment tommorow and made the first payment almost a month ago. Let us know how it shoots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links