Glock 30

Glock 30

This is a discussion on Glock 30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm seriously considering picking up a G30. Could some owners chime in on it's shootability and accuracy? I'm planning on using it as a CCW, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30

Glock 30

I'm seriously considering picking up a G30. Could some owners chime in on it's shootability and accuracy? I'm planning on using it as a CCW, and I don't have any way to try it before I buy it. How is the recoil? I have been carrying a Kimber Ultra Raptor, but I would hate to have it taken by the police should I ever be forced to use it.

Please...no suggestions about other pistols, I have numerous other makes and models, but the G30 is the topic for this thread. Not that I've ever seen this happen on other threads

I've had one, but sold it. I bought it to carry but found it too uncomfortable to carry around. It was a great shooter and more accurate than I am. Less recoil than my G23, but more than my XD9sc. Have you been able to hold one yet? Make sure the grip fits your hand (it is pretty thick).

My G30 has been 100% reliable. It is thicker than say the G19/23/36/etc. models. Some may argue more difficult to conceal, but not a problem with the right gear. I have small hands but have no problem handling the G30. It happens to be extremely accurate and a very mild shooter. I currently own three 45's (Colt LW Commander, Kimber Ultra Carry, G30), and the Glock has the mildest recoil out of the bunch. I think you'll find the G30 recoil milder than your Kimber. Not bad having 11 - 45 cal rounds on you. I would say if it feels good in your hands, go ahead and buy it. It will perform very well.

I used one to qualify for my permit. I have smaller hands, but the grip size wasn't really a problem. It is something to check out though, if it doesn't fit comfortably in your hand you may not practice as much and your accuracy may be effected.

Since the Glock is polymer framed you will feel more recoil than your Kimber but I don't think it should be unmanageable. Not exactly sure how to explain the recoil, but it seems like it's not as smooth with the Glock. Since it's lighter it seems to flip up a little more than the 1911. Nothing you shouldn't be able to handle, it's just not the same.

At first the Glock seemed a little top heavy to me. The balance of the Glock vs the 1911 feels a lot different, at least it did for me. You get used to it after a while.

The grip angles are different too. It didn't make much difference with aimed shots, but if you do any point shooting the grip angle does make a difference at first. I think practice and muscle memory can overcome the difference in grip angle.

The Glock takes a little more planning to conceal in my opinion. It's lighter, but it's also thicker. Nothing you can't work around, just wanted to let you know. If it helps, I used a Side Armor IWB with a 15 degree cant at 3:00. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

As far as reliability goes the only problem I had was a bad batch of ammunition once. My sister used to limp wrist it once in a while, but my 5 year old granddaughter fired it with no problem (go figure).

I still have my G30, but my daily carry now is an XD45. I have nothing against Glock, the XD just felt better to me all the way around. If I ever have to send the XD in for anything the G30 will start getting carried again.

Hope this helps.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I like the higher axis of the Glocks which reduces muzzle flip for me. The recoil of the 30 is more of a push than a snap. Very accurate. I carry mine in a kydex paddle holster and it is very comfortable and easy to conceal with minimal cover garment.
    If you like the way it feels when you hold it, you should enjoy shooting it.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    +1 on what the others have said, mine is as accurate as a fullsize, recoil is surprising light. On the other hand they are pretty wide and that makes them kinda uncomfortable to carry IWB, I call mine "the brick of death".

I have had several Glocks, and the 30 was the best, the most accuratte and the most fun to use, to carry.
    Sold it a few years ago, and I still regret selling it.

I'd say its a good choice. I did alot of studying on both the 21 and the 30, and ultimately went with the 21 only because I have 2 other smaller sized .45's.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKolt View Post
    I'm seriously considering picking up a G30. Could some owners chime in on it's shootability and accuracy? I'm planning on using it as a CCW, and I don't have any way to try it before I buy it. How is the recoil? I have been carrying a Kimber Ultra Raptor, but I would hate to have it taken by the police should I ever be forced to use it.

Please...no suggestions about other pistols, I have numerous other makes and models, but the G30 is the topic for this thread. Not that I've ever seen this happen on other threads
    Reliable.

Dead accurate with everything. When I used to run out of targets I'd put the ammo boxes up on the target holders at about 30 feet and plink at them.

What recoil? That gun has recoil? Really? I must have put...oh, hell, I duno...lots of rounds through it and if it had recoil I didn't notice. The slide moves when you shoot it, but then it goes back...

It ate everything.

Only had two failures to fire with that gun, a UMC ball round and a WWB ball round, but I replaced the firing pin assembly with a factory one from Glockmeister and had no subsequent issues. (I bought the gun used and had an additional 1500 rounds through it at this time)

Comfortable in a C TAC tuckable. Hid so well nobody ever made me.

Just a little too fat for my hands and .45ACP was too expensive to stockpile and shoot, so I sold it and bought a SIG 226 with the money.

If I had to do things over again, I'd have kept the Glock 30 and just lived with the girth and the price of .45ACP.

If it is comfortable for you to shoot and carry and you can afford to feed it, go for it.

I sent to 9mm for price and slightly better hand feel, but could have lived with the G 30.

DO IT!!!
    The point and shoot capibilities are a godsend. My buddy never shot a gun before and I took him to the range like any good gun nut would. Let him rip a hundred rounds or so... by the end of that box he was getting all the shots in the black of a 25 ft pistol target.
    The only downfall I think is that it's only 10+1. I have been thinkin about going to the G22 for winter.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by paper killer View Post
    I like the higher axis of the Glocks which reduces muzzle flip for me.
    Um, the higher the axis, the MORE muzzle flip you get due to the increased leverage of the recoil from the bore axis to your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by covertfolder View Post
    Um, the higher the axis, the MORE muzzle flip you get due to the increased leverage of the recoil from the bore axis to your wrist.

Very true!!

I discombobulated what I meant to type. The higher grip and the lower bore axis helps to reduce muzzle flip. Thinking faster than I was typing that first time.

I have a G30 and love it. It is accurate and not bad to carry. But I shoot just a little better with the G36 so I carry it more often. The 10+1 doesn't bother me because hi-cap .45 mags fit it just fine if I need more firepower. It is a great little gun.

Thumbs up G30

I love mine!!! Its accurate as hell, and its light. Now, I have really big hands so to me the grip is not big enough, but I'm probably the only one who thinks that, but it conceals well. G30 is a great gun!
    Cheers,

Johnny Rebel

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Administrator

If You Ever Are Forced To Use It

"I would hate to have it taken by the police should I ever be forced to use it."

It's been said many times before but, I'll say it again.
    If you are ever forced to use it you'll have so many other things on your mind that having your firearm taken will not even be a passing thought.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links