New S&W 442

This is a discussion on New S&W 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Folks, Just bought a new 442 today from Academy. Have not shot the gun yet, but based on other posts, I expect it to ...

Thread: New S&W 442

New S&W 442

Hello Folks,
    Just bought a new 442 today from Academy. Have not shot the gun yet, but based on other posts, I expect it to have a small kick, but be fun. Paid $399, not on sale. Also, didn't see a good selection of "self defense"rounds on the self. I ended up buying a box of Monarch brand 158 GR Semi-Jacketed Hollow Points. Can anyone give me an opinion as to whether or not this would be a acceptable choice as a self defense load?
    Further, I have most often seen jacketed hollow points, but not very often semi-jacketed hollow pots....good or bad?

Finally, could someone be kind enough to point me to a good site so I can learn the significance of the GR load, 110 GR vs. 158 GR and such.

Thanks in advance for the help.

tytl

2. Remove Ads

I have the same weapon, good tool, and the 158 grain wadcutters (hollowpoint or not) are the only things that will shoot to the point of aim in that gun. I would recommend switching out the grips, to a hogue monogrip, but it will make it less concealable.

VIP Member
    Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tytl
    I ended up buying a box of Monarch brand 158 GR Semi-Jacketed Hollow Points.
    I just picked up my Bersa Thunder .380 from Academy a few days ago. I wasn't very impressed with their defense ammo selection either. I wound up with 94 grain Monarch JHP rounds....obviously they sucked.

Cabellas has a much better selection. I got some Speer Gold Dot JHP 90grain today over there.

What lesson did I learn? Don't buy ammo from Academy! haha
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

IMHO most "Defensive Round" ammo are just overpriced hole-drillers.

Obviously, the lighter the bullet i.e. 95 gr, 110, gr., the less felt recoil (the, opposite and equal reaction thing), and the quicker you can get back on target. A good set Eagle or Spegel stocks are properly relieved for speedloaders and feel and look great.
    Congratulations on your new tool.

I have had very good experience with the Black Hills 125 +P load. Shoots to point of aim at 10 yards and very accurate. $22.99 for a box of 50.
    Recoil is comparable to a Glock 27. I like the original grips.
    I did a lot of research before buying mine and of the multiple postings on many sites and the magazine articles I read, 99+% of people love their 442 or 642. The only negative comment I have ever read was that some did not care for the recoil.

I have to add an endorsement for the Speer Gold Dot 135 +P Short Barrel rounds for the 442. Definitely more kick than the typical white box round, but they give repeatable, consistent performance. ~$18 for a box of 50.

Bullet weight does not nessesarily correspond with recoil level.

Another recommendation for the Speer 135GR short barrel load for defense.

Good advice all, thanks, I think I will go shopping again this weekend for ammo. There is a Bass Pro shop here I may try.
    tytl

I am another fan of the 135 gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo. In my opinion it is absolutely the best self defense load you can use in a snubby .38.

In my area (Central Ohio) I have only been able to find it in 20 round boxes, which are way overpriced at local stores. The Speer part # on the 20 round box is #23921. The same ammo comes in 50 round boxes with Speer part #53921 on the box. The 50 round box can be ordered from Streicher's Police Supply at the link below:

http://www.streichers.com/ProductDet...&Prod=CCI-38GD

Streicher's uses SKU# CCI-38GD2 for this product.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

VIP Member
    Chalk another one up for the Speer Gold Dot 135 +P Short Barrel rounds. It is the best round you can get for a snubby .38 Spl.

Quality defensive ammunition is why we can carry smaller calibers today with good results.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The 442 is an excellent pistol. I carry mine in a pocket holster or ankle holster and it is pretty much my "always" gun. The kick with "defensive ammo" can be severe though. This light handgun will twist sharply unless you have a secure grip. That being said I have carried everything from Speer GD to Magsafe. This will probably get a few chuckles but right now my first bullet is a matchgrade wadcutter, followed by four 158 grain LSWC. Accuracy and recoil are very manageable. Choose the ammo that provides the best accuracy and recoil management. Also, you have to fire alot of ammo to develop the confidence needed. Hard to do with +p bullets in an aluminum-framed 15 oz handgun.

Links