How about this as a CCW?

This is a discussion on How about this as a CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like this as potential carry gun http://sigarms.com/Products/ShowCata...ctDetails.aspx categoryid=7&productid=202#specs. I am thinking about this in a 9mm, its holds 20 rounds. With a spare ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about this as a CCW?

Smile How about this as a CCW?

I really like this as potential carry gun http://sigarms.com/Products/ShowCata...ctDetails.aspx categoryid=7&productid=202#specs. I am thinking about this in a 9mm, its holds 20 rounds. With a spare mag thats 41 rounds of 9mm. I really like the feel of the 226, and getting more confidence of 9mm round day by day. Does anyone know what the 226 SCT was designed for? I can pick one up for about 900 OTD.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    The 220 SCT was designed to be sold, all they changed was the mag capacity (by giving you a bigger mag) put on a TFO front sight, regular Sig rear night sight and add front cocking serrations . Look at the cost of a regular 226 and see if the cost of a bigger mag is worth it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hmm strangely enough i also have confidince in the 9mm round . With this being said i also have confidince in a single stack mag that at most holds 8 rounds .

You sir may not be a troll , but if not your post is not far from trolling . If you truely feel you need that many rounds avalable i suggest you choose another caliber . If you think the 9 will do the job well then mag capacity is a non issue .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The 226 is a full size handgun, but from the looks of the 226 SCT it is a larger than full size handgun. Personally, I feel the normal 226 is a little too big to carry, but I know others that do carry that size gun.

I would see if you can find a range that might have one of these to rent and shoot it before you buy it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    The 226 is a full size handgun, but from the looks of the 226 SCT it is a larger than full size handgun. Personally, I feel the normal 226 is a little too big to carry, but I know others that do carry that size gun.

I would see if you can find a range that might have one of these to rent and shoot it before you buy it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Except for the magazine it's the 226SCT is the exact same size as a regular 226R, the mag tube of the SCT is just longer. The SCT has the exact same dimensions (without mag) and unloaded weight as a 226R

VIP Member
    I'm pretty sure all I need is my P-220!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lol thumper , as i am sure all i need is my p9 kahr or p7 hk , both single stack 9s .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I wasn't sure I had enough with 4 gun trucks, 2 Mk 19s, 2 M2s, 19 various assault rifles, machine guns, and grenade launchers, and B1s on station...

If VegasSig wants more rounds, and is able to carry them, why would we possibly give him grief about it? It's his pistol, his life, his decision... If there is certainly nothing inherently wrong with the platform (and I doubt that there is, considering that it's basically a P226), then why the put downs and why not the constructive replies?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    I have been carrying my 226 all week, and I haven't had a problem with it. Of course, I don't know that I feel undergunned with 31 rounds of 9mm. If I did, I'd just carry another spare magazine. It seems that you're going to pay about $100 for the extra rounds. Buy the regular 226 and you will have enough money to buy extra magazines and the ammo to fill them all.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    ...It seems that you're going to pay about $100 for the extra rounds. Buy the regular 226 and you will have enough money to buy extra magazines and the ammo to fill them all.
    Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Senior Moderator
    It sure doesnt look very concealable with that mag extension hanging out.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    ..if it's what you want to carry, go with God, be safe, and lock n' load.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    You can get 20 round mags for the P226 now and I believe the same mags work for the P228 as well.

The P226 was my second carry gun, after I carried a revolver for a year. It's really too big to be carried comfortably in any weather and any style of clothing. Winter OWB, great... summer IWB, not so much.

I now use a P225 for EDC. Smaller, lighter, same round AND it's the same manual of arms as the P226. The P250 which should be out soon has interesting potential as well.

If 17ds of 9mm can't solve my problem then 35 (or 41) rounds probably won't either and it's time to call for close air support or un@ss the AO.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    I really like this as potential carry gun http://sigarms.com/Products/ShowCata...ctDetails.aspx categoryid=7&productid=202#specs. I am thinking about this in a 9mm, its holds 20 rounds. With a spare mag thats 41 rounds of 9mm. I really like the feel of the 226, and getting more confidence of 9mm round day by day. Does anyone know what the 226 SCT was designed for? I can pick one up for about 900 OTD.
    Gee, I feel "outdated" as I carry a "sixshooter" off-duty with a 5-Shot J-Frame as a bug. I do carry a reaload for each gun though, bringing my total number of rounds up to 22.

On-Duty it's a different story. I carry the "bottomfeeder" they issue me and the M4 as well as the Shotgun.

Biker

20 rounders are nice to have, but the standard 226 will get the job done as is..

We carried the old model 226's with one 15 rounder in the tube and 2 20 rounders on the belt for years, basically as there was no back up around.

DEA lab busters use to carry the 226 with 20 rounders as their main issue pistol always look great in photo ops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links