Picking a snubby for concealed carry

Picking a snubby for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Picking a snubby for concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, this may be a long one. I'm new to this forum, and hope that those of you who will read this will oblige me ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picking a snubby for concealed carry

Lightbulb Picking a snubby for concealed carry

Ok, this may be a long one.

I'm new to this forum, and hope that those of you who will read this will oblige me with some much needed advice. I value everyone's opinion, and thank everyone who posts for their wisdom.

I'm relatively new to the handgun world. Although I've shot (and currently own) long arms (20 GA, .22 LR), I've just turned 21 and am looking to get my concealed permit.

I very much want a steel revolver for my main concealed carry. Weight for steel revolvers shouldn't be a problem, cause I love my dad's k-frame Model 10 2", and can carry that all day long. I know that autos are often lighter, carry more firepower, and can be easier to shoot than most compact revolvers. However, for the reliability, aesthetics and ammo interchangiblilty, I want a revolver. I'd like to keep the price down to $450 or less. Caveat: I will only fire .38+p for defensive use, except when I go hiking, when I want to have a few .357 rounds loaded up. So shooting a snub-nose shouldn't be too terribly painful.

I've narrowed it down to 3 brands of revolvers. Which one would you choose, and why?

1) Smith and Wesson 60 or 640 - lighter (than Sp101), smoother trigger, prolly can't handle lots of .357 (no biggie), more $$$. Great customer service

2) Ruger Sp101 w/ exposed hammer - built like a tank, heavier (at 25oz), trigger a bit rough before you dry fire it a jillion times. Will most likely outlast me and several generations. Aesthetically pleasing.

3) Taurus 817, 650 or 605- heard mixed reports on Taurus. Cheaper, but some past issues with QC. Some hate them, some love them. Tend to be less $$$ (a good thing if I can find a good one). Like the looks of their revolver line.

Again, thanks for the advice.

The Smith.

I have and carry a Model 60 no dash and it is great and easy to shoot.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thank you

SP101 built too last, SW is also a choice; you should get both....

I would if I could, but after this purchase, I've had a hankering for a Kel-Tec 9mm carbine.

I hear yah, I just got a Glock30 a few weeks ago and now I have the fever for a Bushmaster AR15. The fever never ends, good luck with your purchase and stay safe!

Administrator
    I would go with a Stainless Steel S&W J Frame rated for .38 spl +P+ - it's a small revolver - it's NOT that heavy compared to the air-weight and it's very solid - low maintenance and easy to shoot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

does anybody know the average price for a 60 or 640. I was looking at impactguns.com and ableammo.com and they both have these models in the low $500s, which seems a little pricey to me. Alas, I have yet to visit my local store to look around.

I've shot many revolvers and I've liked the Smiths the best.

Look into their Airweights, that will eliminate a lot of the weight.

As far as caliber, I would carry .357mag for self defense. .38special is a good round, but the .357mag would be much better for self defense IMO as long as you can handle the recoil.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I carry a S&W 637-2 Airweight in the summer months and anytime it's not convenient to wear my 45 auto.
    The revolver is light;15 oz. empty, and it rides in my front pocket nestled inside a Galco PH 158 horsehide pocket holster.
    I carry a speed loader with an extra 5 rounds.
    It shoots great and recoil is nothing to be concernd with.
    If anyone says that they don't like a snubby now and then, have never carried one.
    Try it you'll like it, it could be habit forming.
    You'll end up carring the gun that is easiest to hide or you'll go without, when it comes to that then the little snubby fits the bill.

Stay alert and let's not all become
    Last edited by Para 45; October 27th, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
    "Any pistol you carry for personal protection is fine.....as long as it starts with a 4 and ends with a 5."

"... cause I love my dad's k-frame Model 10 2" and can carry that all day long."

A person could do a lot worse.

Model 10 2-inch revolvers can be about as easy to conceal as their J-frame brethren, are quite accurate, and soak up recoil so well.

VIP Member
    Like Para 45,I too have purchased a 637-2 .38 +p....did not remember what a great carry piece it is,I pac it around all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post
    Ok, this may be a long one.

I'm new to this forum, and hope that those of you who will read this will oblige me with some much needed advice. I value everyone's opinion, and thank everyone who posts for their wisdom.

I'm relatively new to the handgun world. Although I've shot (and currently own) long arms (20 GA, .22 LR), I've just turned 21 and am looking to get my concealed permit.

I very much want a steel revolver for my main concealed carry. Weight for steel revolvers shouldn't be a problem, cause I love my dad's k-frame Model 10 2", and can carry that all day long. I know that autos are often lighter, carry more firepower, and can be easier to shoot than most compact revolvers. However, for the reliability, aesthetics and ammo interchangiblilty, I want a revolver. I'd like to keep the price down to $450 or less. Caveat: I will only fire .38+p for defensive use, except when I go hiking, when I want to have a few .357 rounds loaded up. So shooting a snub-nose shouldn't be too terribly painful.

I've narrowed it down to 3 brands of revolvers. Which one would you choose, and why?

1) Smith and Wesson 60 or 640 - lighter (than Sp101), smoother trigger, prolly can't handle lots of .357 (no biggie), more $$$. Great customer service

2) Ruger Sp101 w/ exposed hammer - built like a tank, heavier (at 25oz), trigger a bit rough before you dry fire it a jillion times. Will most likely outlast me and several generations. Aesthetically pleasing.

3) Taurus 817, 650 or 605- heard mixed reports on Taurus. Cheaper, but some past issues with QC. Some hate them, some love them. Tend to be less $$$ (a good thing if I can find a good one). Like the looks of their revolver line.

Again, thanks for the advice.

I carry a Revolver over 90% of the time. Actually I carry two.

The first one is an N-Frame 4" Barrel 45 ACP S&W. The second one is a S&W 442 38 Special "Snubbie". I got this after I got rid of my 640. The reason I got rid of the 640 was, it hurt like crazy to shoot "full house" 357 Mag loads through it.

If I was going to carry one revolver I would make it a 6 shot 3" or 4" Barrelled one, not a "snubbie". Having been in two "Armed Encounters" I can honestly say that the aggravation of carrying the bigger gun is worth it to me. I want every advantage I can get when the fecal matter hits the rotating thingie. The "snubbie" is carried as a BUG and to allow my "weak" hand to have access to a weapon when my "primary" hand is otherwise engaged.

After the New Year I will be carrying a Ruger GP100 with a 3" Barrel. I peeked at what my wife is giving me for Christmas. The 442 will still be a BUG and I can carry the same ammo for my reloads in both the Primary and the BUG. The first cylinderfull in the GP100 will be "full house" 125 grain 357 Magnums. I don't believe in "shortchanging" myself in ammo and want every advantage I can get.

Of the guns you listed I would only consider the Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag. In fact, I am looking for an SP101 with a 2" Barrel to use as a second gun and will relegate the 442 to third gun status on my ankle, with no reload carried for it. I will continue to carry a reload for the other two guns.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post

:
    Of these 3 choices I'd pick the SP101, but I prefer a little "heft", and you might too if you practice live fire a lot. In fact, one of my favorites is my S&W 686 2-1/2" shown here.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...3&d=1193109291

Don't know what the average price is but buds gun shop is usually very low. They have the 60 for 498.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...cPath/21_39_72
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links