range report xd 9 sc xs big dots

This is a discussion on range report xd 9 sc xs big dots within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had the big dots for a month but finally had a chance to put them through thiner paces. combo of slow and rapid ...

Thread: range report xd 9 sc xs big dots

I have had the big dots for a month but finally had a chance to put them through thiner paces. combo of slow and rapid fire 7 yards. The ammo was part of a box of +p gold dots 124 grain and wwb 124.
    The holster is a K and D defender and that is my xd 45 compact the report is about the xd 9 sc

Last edited by turbo93; October 27th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.

Very nice shooting and very nice pictures.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

How well do you like your XD-SC? I've really been looking into them and am really intrigued. I'm needing something a bit smaller for deep concealment at work. It appears to be a good shooter...any other info/report can ya give? Thanks!
    "I play for keeps."

very reliable,seems to digest all kinds of ammo without complaint. I like how it feels better then a glock. They seem to have alot of fans. I liked it enough I bought the 45 as well.

The XDSC is a fantastic gun. Reliable, great shooter.

Anyhow, TURBO: So you noticed no difference in point of impact after the new sights? I quite nearly got Truglo TFOs, but (shame on me for being so shallow) didn't like the way they look in the daylight. On the back burner now but still considering other sights.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Turbo, just a question on the sight picture, do you even see the back sight of the Big Dots? I dont see it when I am shooting, my eyes are totally on the big front sight. And also do you think you could make the groups smaller if you really wanted to? That question I ask because I read on other forums saying they are not accurate beyond such and such a distance. Personally I dont believe thats true, and I would give up some precision in order to get speed in an SD sit.

SY

shooting more slowly yes I could probably tighten up the groups a bit although as you can see there were some that were pretty close together. I was shooting slow and fast and also attempting some double taps. I am still getting used to the new sites. I use variable lens bifocal and have to lean all the way back to get the sites in focus( bottom of my lens) but yes when I concentrate the rear and front are visible. At short ranges ( most defensive shooting distance) the sites lend them selves to a natural point just using the front site. At short ranges no change in point of impact at 20 feet or less I am using point of aim further out I believe you are supposed to use 6'oclock. I had an online video of someone using the sites between his legs at 100 yards and hitting a bullseye. Obcoulsy a good shooter but like anything else the sites take a bit of getting used to otoh this was my second time using them and I am pleased. For me this is one of my carry guns I have other guns I can use to play marksman with so I like the sites. (this is a 3.5 barrel easily concealed pistol and as such although it is accurate it is not a target gun) I have left the stock sites on the 45 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    I believe you are supposed to use 6'oclock.
    from my experience, using 6 o'clock with a XD you will hit about 5" low. My XD does not shoot 6 o'clock. OME

Now my Pop's 1911 A1 shoot 6 o'clock no problem, and I really like that in a pistol. I wish the XD shot that way.
    Last edited by *SA-XD4ME*; October 29th, 2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Grammar Changes

VIP Member
    I'm excited- I'll be picking up my Sig 228 tomorrow with a new finish on the slide/controls and a set of big dots. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't know how the sights will work- but I do know that saying you can use them for distance is garbage. There is a video floating around out there of someone hitting at 100 yards with big dots.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Sponsored Links