Budget 9mm in 1911 platform

This is a discussion on Budget 9mm in 1911 platform within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have wanted to get into the 1911 platform but in 9mm, I really want to stick to the round that I have, not start ...

Thread: Budget 9mm in 1911 platform

Budget 9mm in 1911 platform

I have wanted to get into the 1911 platform but in 9mm, I really want to stick to the round that I have, not start a new ammo to buy. I want to stay under $500 (less is preferred). Any suggestions, or am I just having a pipe dream?

2. Remove Ads

Not a pipe dream at all. I happen to have one that I MIGHT let go of. P.M. me if interested.

While it may not meet your budget exactly, the Para LDA (light double action) in 9mm is an excellent 9mm in 1911 form. It has a double action trigger that is so light and smooth.

The Springfield EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol) is also a very nice 9mm in a 1911 format - and great for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    The Springfield EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol) is also a very nice 9mm in a 1911 format - and great for concealed carry.
    for under 500??? try again

about the only way to get into a 9mm 1911 for that price is to buy a RIA 38super and add a 9mm barrel

emp

agree about the emp. it has replaced my polymer guns as preffered carry weapon. problem is they list at 1200 bucks (can be had for around 1000 new, 800 gently used)

you will need more $$$$ to make this work or take a look at used Glock 9mm, g26/19/17. i have seen used glocks around $400.00 plus in guns stores/newpapers. have heard of some leo trade in going cheaper. nothing wrong with a used glock. or you look at the kel tec p11/pf9. the kel tec is hard to beat and the price starts around $225.00 for the p11. don't know the going price for the pf9. it is a newer gun and hard to get. it is a hot item.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    sometimes wanting a while and saving some money to buy the gun you want will save money down the road. Not to mention alot of headaches and unhappiness. Find the one you want, save the money and get it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I may be in left field here and mean no disrespect to anyone but it always blows my mind when I hear people discuss that they want to get a firearm for concealed carry then add that they want to limit the price to 3,4 or 5 hundred dollars, or whatever price.
    In my mind, if a person makes the big decision to begin carrying for the self defense of oneself or ones loved ones, the factor of utmost importance should be the reliability of the weapon, price be danged.
    It's like when I hear someone say they don't or won't carry their 'so and so' piece because it's too expensive and they wouldn't want it confiscated by the authorities should the occasion ever arise that they have to use it in self defense.
    This is not to say there aren't inexpensive firearms that make fine carry pieces and may be very reliable, just make sure that the weapon you carry into action works when your life is depending on it.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

hey, i forgot the s&w models 39/59/etc... they are also like a 1911 in style and you can get a used one at a very low price. i pickup a used m39 last year for under $250.00 in allmost new shape. great 9mm, good shooter, feeds all types of 9mm ammo. never had any problems with it. and you got to love the wooden grips that come on it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Look around, in the paper, online, etc. You can find a decent 9mm in 1911 style for $500 or less. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I may be in left field here and mean no disrespect to anyone but it always blows my mind when I hear people discuss that they want to get a firearm for concealed carry then add that they want to limit the price to 3,4 or 5 hundred dollars, or whatever price.
    In my mind, if a person makes the big decision to begin carrying for the self defense of oneself or ones loved ones, the factor of utmost importance should be the reliability of the weapon, price be danged.
    It's like when I hear someone say they don't or won't carry their 'so and so' piece because it's too expensive and they wouldn't want it confiscated by the authorities should the occasion ever arise that they have to use it in self defense.
    This is not to say there aren't inexpensive firearms that make fine carry pieces and may be very reliable, just make sure that the weapon you carry into action works when your life is depending on it.

Cost does not guarantee reliability. Used Glocks, XD's, M&P's, Berettas, Rugers, CZ's, 3rd Gen S&W's, revolvers, etc. can all be had for around $400 or so, and have exceptional reliability. There is NO reason to HAVE to spend over $500 for a completely reliable pistol.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the criteria for a 1911 platform, 9mm, under $500 can be filled very well with a used Star Model BM. Several years ago they could be had for $150+/- in fairly large numbers. The guns were used by the state police of Spain, mostly in the mid '70s, and mainly had "holster wear" rather than internal wear. I have field stripped dozens of them at the pawn shops around and found that very few actually appeared to have much actual range use. Other than the lack of backstrap safety, the guns are on the 1911 configuration, and very reliable (and accurate).

Para Ord

Para Ordnance makes that Hawg 9 pistol, which I purchased for 730 new. Gunbroker.com has one right now for 600 dollars NIB. Bet you could find one used for that price range with a little bit of looking.

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=75

Links