Smith & Wesson Walther PPK/S Bashing

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Walther PPK/S Bashing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read many posts where the PPK/S has been maligned. I'd like to share my experiences. I own 2 PPK/S pistols. One was sent back ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson Walther PPK/S Bashing

VIP Member

I've read many posts where the PPK/S has been maligned. I'd like to share my experiences.

I own 2 PPK/S pistols. One was sent back to S&W for repair when it was new. They repaired it promptly and it has worked well since then.

The PPK/S in .380 is not a man stopper. It was never meant to be. What it does do is provide a good concealable item (deeply concealable). Many have been produced over the years and it has been around for almost a hundred years now. Some newer offerings can be better options including the newer Walther PPS.

One of the common complaints I read is that th PPK/S is not reliable. I have found that to not be true. But there are some things to know. The PPK/S magazine holds 7 rounds, but, adding a 7th round will often cause the next up round to jam when it feeds. Load 6 rounds only and the problem goes away. Also the feed ramp is steep, so some rounds, noticably hollowpoints in mine, don't do so well and tend to hang up from time to time. Each time a slap to the bottom of the magazine has fixed the problem.

I'm no expert, but the PPK/S fills a valuable role for some folks. Each of us has to choose what works best for us in our given situation. There is no one best round, one best weapon, or one best holster. Its an individual fit. For some, the PPK/S may be a good fit.

VIP Member
    Overall I agree very much with what you wrote, and I havent had any trouble with mine at all. I'll add that a strong point is the thinness, a weak point is that it's heavy for its size. Of course, we know about the caliber. All guns seem to have varying strong and weak points.

Depending on my clothes I really take advantage sometimes of the PPK's thinness, it hides very well. However most of the time I'm carrying my g27.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

CTR, not trying to start an argument at all but, for me personally, thats too many things for me to worry about when carrying a gun for self defense. I want my carry gun to be able to perform under many situations. For me that PPk/s would be a range gun. And also, are most pistols of this size that finicky, the smallest I have for pocket carry is a S&W 642?

While I don’t own an S&W licensed Walther, I’ve carried the Interarms Walther PPKs since the early 80’s. Carried my first one so much I wore the bluing off of it, so I traded it for a stainless version in the mid 90’s.

I’ve shot both PPKs hundreds of times, and unless I’m trying out a new round, it never jams. Sure hollow points are tricky, and like any other firearm, it’s best to try new rounds at the range before considering them reliable.

Sure the PPKs is a little heavy compared to modern plastic guns, and unquestionably it does not hold 100 rounds like some of the new wiz bangs, but what it does do well is reliability, accuracy, and it a pleasure to carry concealed.

I've never owned one but online reviews seem to be fairly evenly divided. Seems you either love em or hate em.

Excellent post, while I don't own the PPK/s I know two people who do and they both share the same experience you do.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member
    Well, this is sort of encouraging. I have a Walther stainless coming to my FFL tomorrow! I'll make my own report in a week. Does anyone have a recommendation for PPK ammo?

The two walthers I have hate HP ammo.. round nose seems to work the best. The little p22 i have is as picky as my gf.. holy cow it does not like cheap plinking ammo.

I can't wait to get ahold of one of the PPS.

VIP Member

Remington FMJ loads work well in my PPK/S

Aznav, I've had success with the Remington loads in FMJ. The are ball ammo and never seem to jam if there are only 6 rounds loaded at a time.

VIP Member

No argument

Hey Bowie, no argument here. Everyone has to carry what works for them and have confidence in it.

Just to clarify, I only load 6 rounds of ball ammo and it works fine, no misfeeds or jams. I've got about 1050 rounds thru the one PPK/S now, and about 500 thru the other. After the first 200 or so, there were no problems.

BTW, I own a S&W 360 Sc as well. I don't carry it often because it is painful to shoot, and I like to practice with what I carry. The PPK/S is my first CCW pistol and it worked well for carry in the summer. I can carry it where I can't carry other pistols. I'm thinking about something else, but need to save the $$$ before I make my next purchase.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Never owned a S&W walther of any design , but i have owned a few german or french walthers that have all been just fine on reliability issues , and exceptional on accuracy . I currently own a transition ( 72 year of manufacture ) which i cannot honestly say is a french built or german built ppks . It works fine . It does have all the problems of the " art deco " styling , and a non modern pistol ( ya cant hang a porch light off it ) . And it seems to preform well reliably shooting 20 ga casings at 20 yards . I like the entire pp line but cannot speak to the S&W build of it other than they made them affordable for us peons , even if it needs work its better than the situation as it used to be .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Sure hollow points are tricky, and like any other firearm, itís best to try new rounds at the range before considering them reliable.
    i agree with you on trying new rounds at the range but i've never had a problem loading any type of ammo into my Glock.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member
    CTR, Many thanks! I'll take that tip.

Sponsor
    Both my Walther PPK and S&W PPK/S are completely reliable. Polished feed ramp in both. +1 on the 6 rounds limit.
    I stopped carrying either because the weight out weighed the slimness once I got my hands on a Keltec P32.
    I still put a few rounds through them at the range on most trips.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Trouble with PPK/s-1

I am one of those who have had trouble with the little gun and written
    about it in several gun forums. I have taken it to a gunsmith to have
    it polished and relieved a bit. We'll see how it works when I get it
    back.

I figured it was stainless steel and needed an extra long time to get
    broken in. I finally realized it wasn't getting any better and decided to
    send it out for repair. Should have done it sooner!

Anyway, if it isn't better when I get it back, I'll have to replace it with
    something reliable that will fire my handloads.

Sorry if that offends anyone.

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links