Defensive Carry banner

Dang I feel like a wimp

5K views 59 replies 57 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 ·
I see alot of ladies here have 1911s. I use Glock 19 and G26 for my carry pieces because I used a M9 with a M4 in Iraq and 9mm does just a good a job as a 45acp in my experience. Now seeing these ladies carry a 1911 it makes me feel like a wimp. My wife wants a Glock 19 (she has a Khar right now because it is slim) and she loves the low recoil of the 9mm and the quick follow ups.

So am I a wimp for not owning 1911s? Probally not but I do I feel like one with seeing pics of ladies with nice full size 1911s.

#2 ·
Heck no you're not a whimp! But... you do have one heck of a good reason to go buy one! :image035:

Oh yeah, welcome aboard too!

#4 ·
Thumper put it best.

#3 ·
NO!! I, like you don't prefer .45. I like .40. You've got to remember, whatever you are comfortable with is what you are more likely to get a follow up shot with. Think of it this way. Would you rather carry a .45 and not be confident enough in the moment of need, or keep using 9mm and feel "at home" so to speak. I don't like .45 and I also don't own any 1911's. So, no....your not a wimp.

#5 ·
Seeing as how I'm "one of those gals" I'll also say you are no wimp. I'm currently looking into either a M&P9c or Glock 19. I see nothing wrong with the 9mm as a round and nothing wrong with the Glock-type handgun as a gun.

Maybe a little part of me says, "HA! Tell me I can't shoot or carry a .45!" and I've put a lot of time and effort into proving all the nay-sayers wrong. I've had to deal with a lot of crap like, "There is no way you can handle the recoil from a .45," or "that's too big for such a little girl. You'll never successfully carry that."

I think I've successfully proved to those that matter that I can carry, shoot and handle anything I want and I don't need (or want) someone to try and write a prescription for the kind of gun I should have.

Without making this into a Glock vs. 1911 war or a 9mm vs .45.. I'll just say I like my gun and its ammo but I'm not married to either. I'll use whatever I have to to get the job done. If that's a 9mm or a .32, a .50 or a .22. It beats the crap out of calling for help and waiting for it to arrive.

#6 ·
As they say: To each his own.

I had started shooting the .45, and now love the .40, but I also just added a 9mm to my collection. They all have their own pros and cons, and it's just like handguns - very individual.

#10 ·
Nope, you are not a wimp. I got home from work today, took off my 1911 and put on my S&W39-2 9mm and took the wife out for supper. Sometimes, I just feel like a 9.

Welcome to the forum and THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WILLINGNESS TO SERVE IN Iraq!!!!!!!!! Glad you are back on this side of the pond.

#12 ·
Oh heck...yep, you're a wimp...get a 1911...please...you're making the rest of us look bad...:rofl:

Actually, you have to carry what YOU like and feel comfortable with...nothing wrong with a nice 9mm.:hand10:

#13 ·
My wife wants a Glock 19 ... loves the low recoil of the 9mm and the quick follow ups.

So am I a wimp for not owning 1911s?
My $0.02. $0.03 with inflation. Go with what you know, with what works, with what you're comfortable with. "Wimp"? By whose standard? If it keeps you alive, if you're competent with it, and so on, what others think should be the least of your concerns.

From the wimpy end of the pool, I've got a couple CZ P01's, here. They are the perfect match, and what others think of it isn't part of the decision.

#15 ·
Not a Wimp

I carry an XD9sc. Sometimes a KelTec P32. I am breaking in a Hi-Power and may carry it. You are not a wimp. I have shot various .45 caliber pistols including a Colt .45 1911. I like them all. I shoot the
9-mm best and favor pistols in this caliber, and carry them because I carry and shoot them better.

-- Richard

#16 ·
I've owned and carried just about everything from .380ACP to .45ACP with the exception of the .44 Spcl or Mag or the 10mm. (OK, I am sure I am missing something else too- just isn't popping into my mind right now.) I have settled on the 9mm because it is the round I've decided is best for me. Now everything I own is either 9mm or .38spl/.357mag with the exception of one 1911 that I keep around just because I can. It is a safe queen and always will be. I shoot it well, it is comfortable to carry, but it isn't what I decided is best for me.

I know I'm not a wimp- and I'd bet you aren't either.

#18 ·
Well, if you like the 9mm but still want a 1911, Springfield makes a very nice 1911 in 9mm! I actually had one for a couple of months. I also had a full sized Govt model and a Commander (both in .45). They were fine pistols, but I cant really say I miss them. I shot them ok, but I shoot my Sigs better. When you are talking about a carry weapon, what would you bet your life on?

#20 ·
WIMP!!!!

Just kidding I carry a 9 simply for size. However, if I were ever in a position where I could only have 1 handgun, it would be my Loaded Operator.

#21 ·
Do you mean wimps like Vera Koo?

So am I a wimp for not owning 1911s? Probably not, but I do I feel like one with seeing pics of ladies with nice full size 1911s.
Do you mean pictures like this of Vera Koo, top woman champion at the 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 NRA National Action Pistol (Bianchi) Championship in Columbia, MO?

#25 ·
9mm=10 oz hammer 45= 16oz hammer.

it takes a tougher person to drive 16d nails with a 10oz hammer than it does a 16oz hammer.

It also takes a bigger person to openly admit they dont need the bigger gun. Now I dont intend on starting a caliber war... I'm just saying shoot what works best for you.

#26 ·
I am.. almost one of those girls?
I have a 1911, but its chambered in a 9mm.
What does that make me? A wimp pretending to not be one?
I must say, I get mocked at the range alot since quite a few of those guys carry full size 1911s. Thats ok, its all in good fun, and they know very well that mine has almost as much kick as their heavy, large, hard to conceal .45s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.