Dang I feel like a wimp

This is a discussion on Dang I feel like a wimp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see alot of ladies here have 1911s. I use Glock 19 and G26 for my carry pieces because I used a M9 with a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dang I feel like a wimp

Dang I feel like a wimp

I see alot of ladies here have 1911s. I use Glock 19 and G26 for my carry pieces because I used a M9 with a M4 in Iraq and 9mm does just a good a job as a 45acp in my experience. Now seeing these ladies carry a 1911 it makes me feel like a wimp. My wife wants a Glock 19 (she has a Khar right now because it is slim) and she loves the low recoil of the 9mm and the quick follow ups.

So am I a wimp for not owning 1911s? Probally not but I do I feel like one with seeing pics of ladies with nice full size 1911s.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Heck no you're not a whimp! But... you do have one heck of a good reason to go buy one!

Oh yeah, welcome aboard too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

NO!! I, like you don't prefer .45. I like .40. You've got to remember, whatever you are comfortable with is what you are more likely to get a follow up shot with. Think of it this way. Would you rather carry a .45 and not be confident enough in the moment of need, or keep using 9mm and feel "at home" so to speak. I don't like .45 and I also don't own any 1911's. So, no....your not a wimp.
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Heck no you're not a whimp! But... you do have one heck of a good reason to go buy one!

Oh yeah, welcome aboard too!
    Thumper put it best.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator
    Seeing as how I'm "one of those gals" I'll also say you are no wimp. I'm currently looking into either a M&P9c or Glock 19. I see nothing wrong with the 9mm as a round and nothing wrong with the Glock-type handgun as a gun.

Maybe a little part of me says, "HA! Tell me I can't shoot or carry a .45!" and I've put a lot of time and effort into proving all the nay-sayers wrong. I've had to deal with a lot of crap like, "There is no way you can handle the recoil from a .45," or "that's too big for such a little girl. You'll never successfully carry that."

I think I've successfully proved to those that matter that I can carry, shoot and handle anything I want and I don't need (or want) someone to try and write a prescription for the kind of gun I should have.

Without making this into a Glock vs. 1911 war or a 9mm vs .45.. I'll just say I like my gun and its ammo but I'm not married to either. I'll use whatever I have to to get the job done. If that's a 9mm or a .32, a .50 or a .22. It beats the crap out of calling for help and waiting for it to arrive.

As they say: To each his own.

I had started shooting the .45, and now love the .40, but I also just added a 9mm to my collection. They all have their own pros and cons, and it's just like handguns - very individual.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Its a classic - you need one. Its your duty as an American to get one...

Austin

Administrator

Thumbs up

1911 is a fantastic firearm but, like every other firearm it's not for everybody.
    Carry what you feel comfortable carrying and what you shoot accurately.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Like QKSHOOTER Says ,carry what your comfortable with and are proficient shooting... don't worry about other people's carry pieces

Nope, you are not a wimp. I got home from work today, took off my 1911 and put on my S&W39-2 9mm and took the wife out for supper. Sometimes, I just feel like a 9.

Welcome to the forum and THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WILLINGNESS TO SERVE IN Iraq!!!!!!!!! Glad you are back on this side of the pond.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

nothing wrong with it. carry what you want, just carry.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Oh heck...yep, you're a wimp...get a 1911...please...you're making the rest of us look bad...

Actually, you have to carry what YOU like and feel comfortable with...nothing wrong with a nice 9mm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    My wife wants a Glock 19 ... loves the low recoil of the 9mm and the quick follow ups.

So am I a wimp for not owning 1911s?
    My $0.02. $0.03 with inflation. Go with what you know, with what works, with what you're comfortable with. "Wimp"? By whose standard? If it keeps you alive, if you're competent with it, and so on, what others think should be the least of your concerns.

From the wimpy end of the pool, I've got a couple CZ P01's, here. They are the perfect match, and what others think of it isn't part of the decision.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To each there own but make mine a 1911 45

Not a Wimp

I carry an XD9sc. Sometimes a KelTec P32. I am breaking in a Hi-Power and may carry it. You are not a wimp. I have shot various .45 caliber pistols including a Colt .45 1911. I like them all. I shoot the
    9-mm best and favor pistols in this caliber, and carry them because I carry and shoot them better.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links