Compact 1911 for CCW advice and opinions

This is a discussion on Compact 1911 for CCW advice and opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I am new this forum and actually forums in general. I have been reading your posts over the last few weeks and find ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact 1911 for CCW advice and opinions

Compact 1911 for CCW advice and opinions

Hello everyone. I am new this forum and actually forums in general. I have been reading your posts over the last few weeks and find that there is a lot of intelligent and valuable advice and insight here and I am very glad that I joined. I live in Louisiana and will be taking my CCW class in the very near future. I currently have a full size Springfield 1911 but because of my relatively small size I don't see being able to conceal it well. Anyway my main question here is if anyone has had any experience with the Springfield Ultra Compact Stainless or the Kimber Compact Stainless II. The Springfield is more readily available and my local gun shop will make a deal for me on the trade in of the full size. Unfortunately they won't deal with Kimber anymore so I would have to buy it straight out from somewhere else. Please share any good or bad experiences that you may have had with either of these weapons, I am also open to other suggestions for a concealed carry .45. Thank you for the information and keep up this enlightening service that you are all providing.

2. Remove Ads

take a look at the glock 36. small compact 45. hard to beat and is right when it come out of the box.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I carry a Colt New Agent, very pleased with it.

I have two Kimbers (CDP II's)...my EDC is 70-80% the Kimber Ultra. Other times I carry my Glock-36...both have been reliable and will easily fit the smaller hand...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Welcome from NW Louisiana. Lots of good advice here. CCW's are such a personal issue and everyone's needs are so versatile, sometimes its difficult to get a definitive answer. You can bet that there are folks here who are successful at carrying all the guns you mentioned and more.
    My primary ccw is a Glock 27, it works for me, but may not work for others......and that's okay. The Glock 36 previously mentioned is good too. My son has the full size SA 1911 like yours and he cc it w/o any problems.....I'll bet you could too.
    I sometimes cc a Colt Defender, which is pretty small.
    Good advice and lots of shopping around will help narrow down what you'd like best.....you're on the right track.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Talking

Q "I'd like info on compact 1911s"

A "Get a Glock"

I don't think that's the info the guy's looking for, everyone has brand loyalties/likes, but lets try and answer the question.

Don't get me wrong the Glock is a great gun, I had a 10 for years, but I fell in love with the P2000's grip, but lets give the guy some info he's looking for first.
    Heck I like my HK, but I'm not going to tell everyone to go get one.
    I used to carry a 5" 1911 regularly, I think the compact is just what you need.
    The Kimber Compacts are pretty good, it's the Ultras you need to worry about.
    Colt used to make one called the C.C.O and it was pretty popular, I don't know why they stopped offering it.
    I had the Springfield model you named and liked it, but the 3" 1911 just isn't for me, if you have a Springfield and are happy with it and the service you've gotten (Or not needed) Stick with a Springfield.
    I had a Kimber Compact, I forget which exact model but it was an older model, it was a champ, never had an issue and it shot like a dream.
    From what I've heard there are some that don't care for the Kimber Series II models or Colt Series 80 Models.
    That being said, I'm pretty sure that Springfield doesn't use a firing pin safety, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    If you're looking for a smaller 1911 to try out without breaking the bank and having to trade/sell your 5" gun, try and find a used officers model, if you like that you can either keep it, or trade it back in on a Compact Springer.
    There's plenty of other manufactures out there also, I think Les Baer makes a smaller model but I don't recall the name of it? The Spiker???
    I know Sig makes one, the RCS, I was looking at those before purchasing my HK, but I've heard many more horror stories on the Sig 1911 than any other recently.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Personally, I'd take the Springfield over the Kimber. I've had some experience shooting both and lately, in my eyes, the Springfields have been surpassing the Kimbers in quality. Some will disagree with me, and that's okay. This is just my opinion.

Springfield, Kimber...can't go wrong. I've got a Kimber Pro Tactical on my hip right now and a Pro CDP in the safe.
    The G36 is next on my hit list

Pick whichever one fits your style of carry, and feels right in the hand.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Love my Springer Champion, but also love my Glock 30. Take the one that works best for you!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I carry the S&W 1911 SC...it is commander size and very lite due to the Scandium frame...I have never had a problem with it...other times I carry a Glcok 36 also a very cool weapon....I am just partial to 1911's...mainly because of how thin they are...

VIP Member
    My main gun of choice is a SIG P-220 but... there's a special place in my gun safe for my Springfield! She's a very sweet lady!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thank you all for the quick responses. I have been told that any 1911 with a barrel shorter then 4" is destined for problems. Does anyone know if this is true?

OD*
    I have been told that any 1911 with a barrel shorter then 4" is destined for problems. Does anyone know if this is true?
    It hasn't been true in my experience and I've owned a number of short 1911s.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Between the two you mention, I would definitely go with the Springer. IMHO the best quality for the price. Besides you get to deal with your local dealer. Go for it!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Also consider the Colt Defender

The Colt Defender with 3 inch barrel has been on the market for almost 10 years and is a good seller. I have had this one for about 1-1/2 years and it has never failed to feed, fire or eject through close to 1,000 rounds. It conceals easily because of a very thin profile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links