+P ammo use in a colt agent?

This is a discussion on +P ammo use in a colt agent? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have colt agent 1st issue from 1968 that I'm going to take the range this week. My question is are a few cylinders of ...

I have colt agent 1st issue from 1968 that I'm going to take the range this week. My question is are a few cylinders of +p ammo ok to use? I want to see how this bullet shoots in this gun and what the POI/POA are. I like the 158gr lead semi wadcutter HP for defense in a snub nose,but don't want to hurt the gun(or myself). FWIW I've fired limited numbers of these through my cobra from circa 1972 with no ill effects on the gun,and carry this load in it. Thanks for any help.

I would not use +P ammo in that gun. If I remember correctly it was not designed to use that hot of a load.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

1943 - 2009
    No, the 1st issue Cobra is not +P rated. I wouldn't chance it.

However, you don't have to use +P ammo anyway, because Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure 158 grain LSWC/HP load.

This load shoots to POA in my 1963 vintage Cobra, and is pleasant to shoot, to boot.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Rathos and captain are you saying even keeping it loaded with +p for ccw use is a bad idea? I was under the impression that a few cylinders full of +p ammo wouldn't hurt anything?,that it was only frowned upon to feed these guns a steady diet of +p ammo? If I'm wrong I'm glad I found out now and not after I damaged the gun.

the gun is not made to take a steady diet of +p. should be okay to shoot one cylinder to see how she shoots. i would load it with +p if i was to carry it. my1980 model s&w model 60 is not rated for +p+,,,, but i carry +p+ duty ammo (hydro shock) in it. sometimes i will shoot some just to know how it will shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

What if the first round of +p or +p+ is the one that jacks the frame? It's not worth the chance when there are good choices of personal protection rounds available in non +p. Federal Hydroshocks come to mind.

I read in some old gun test mags that colt O.K.ed +P use. It said limited use and the gun should be checked after 1000 rnd. After reading that I shot enough Corbon in my 1961 Agent to see its point of impact after that I practiced with standard ammo and pact +P.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I read in some old gun test mags that colt O.K.ed +P use. It said limited use and the gun should be checked after 1000 rnd. After reading that I shot enough Corbon in my 1961 Agent to see its point of impact after that I practiced with standard ammo and pact +P.
    I remember reading something along those lines too. Something like 1000rds of +P in a Cobra/Agent before sending it back to Colt for a check-up, and 3000rds of +P in the Detective Special. I really think it would be fine to shoot a cylinder full for fun. But so far, I have chosen NOT to do this in my 3 Cobras. Ill just stick with the Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP non +P.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Links