First CCW advice. Help wanted!!

This is a discussion on First CCW advice. Help wanted!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím looking for my first ccw, and want something easily concealable, reliable, durable, and most likely a .380. Iíve been real interested in the kel-tecs ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Iím looking for my first ccw, and want something easily concealable, reliable, durable, and most likely a .380. Iíve been real interested in the kel-tecs but hear mixed reviews that the lightweight plastics in the PF-9 9mm and the P-3AT .380 canít handle that amount powder for very long. Another Iíve thought of is the PPK/S (always been a 007 fan). Any suggestions????

You can never go wrong with a Glock

Go out and rent and then shoot as many guns as you can. You need to find what fits you best.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    Go out and rent and then shoot as many guns as you can. You need to find what fits you best.
    +1, its hard to tell what shoots well for you untill you try different weapons. It might give you a better idea of what you want. Good luck!

If your not in an area where there is a firing range, much less rentals available, try to find a gunshop that carries models that you might be interested. Handle them and see how you like the feel. Do searches on here for various models. You will get alot of valuable information.

I didn't have the luxury of shooting before buying. Was going to go with a keltec, then a Bersa, and was drawn to the Kahr. Looked them over well, read what others who own them have said... and ended up going with the Kahr PM9. Considerations of caliber, workmanship, size, feel, and others' comments all convinced me that it was well worth the extra $$$. I love this gun! Probably will still end up with a Keltec and a Bersa. Can't have too many.

If you want to stick to a .380 try a Bersa. They are reliable and afordable.

http://www.bersapistols.com/

For more money and a little larger caliber I carry the Kahr Arms P9. It is an excellent carry gun, light weight and slim design but expensive compared to the Bersa.

http://www.kahr.com/
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I agree with a previous poster. Get to as many ranges that have rental guns as possible. Shoot everything you think might work. Most people will know when they have found the right one.

Ignore those of us who make flaming remarks about certain brands, unless of course you are thinking of getting a Glock. Glocks are awful! Ignore that one too.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

New member here, but I have been carrying a Bersa .380cc for almost a year now. Put close to 600 rounds through it. the only problem was a few fte's due to limp wristing. Other than that, it is an excellent, inexpensive, accurate, solid gun.

Fernset,

Are you new to shooting handguns, or just to CCW?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Try a Kahr P9. Small, light, and easy to shoot. Never had a single FTF in probably 2000 rounds. Try as many as possible and you'll find something you are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Iím looking for my first ccw, and want something easily concealable, reliable, durable, and most likely a .380. Iíve been real interested in the kel-tecs but hear mixed reviews that the lightweight plastics in the PF-9 9mm and the P-3AT .380 canít handle that amount powder for very long. Another Iíve thought of is the PPK/S (always been a 007 fan). Any suggestions????
    If you are considering a Walther then give some thought to the PPS. It is similar in size to the PPK but is available in 9mm and .40 cal.

Less than an inch thick, it is worth your time to take a look.

Easily concealed but underpowered

I have a Walther PPK in .380 (slightly shorter grip than the PPK/S you mentioned) and have sometimes carried it in the past. It is pretty accurate for a small gun, has never jammed, and is very easy to conceal. I bought it mainly as a novelty (James Bond fascination) and didn't intend it to be my main carry. It is a reasonable backup gun, however, and is shown below:

I believe that a 9mm gun of similar size is a better choice for defense, such as the new Walther PPS mentioned above. The muzzle energy of a 9mm is almost double that of a .380, so it has more chance of stopping an attack. The various Kahrs are also of similar size and available in 9mm and larger calibers. I have a Kahr MK9 that is not very much larger than my PPK and equally concealable. I also believe the Kahr MK9 (all steel, like the PPK) recoils less than the PPK because of a different barrel and action design. Here is my MK9:

I started out with the PPK on the recomendation of the gun shop expert.

For one reason or another, I just had to get;

a .40cal (Sigma)
    then a Glock 9mm
    then a J-Frame 38Special
    then a Smith & Wesson .45cal
    then a Glock .45cal

But I always keep going back to the PPK. It's thin, and so far is the only pistol that works well in a PagerPal holster for deep concealment. (the other guns work in a PagerPal, but either buldge or hang on clothes when you draw)

Since my latest "had to get" (G36) is currently setting in the safe, and I'm carrying the PPK today, maybe I've learned my lesson.

(pobably not...maybe I need a Kahr hmm?)

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

Personally, I'd try to steer you toward at least a 9mm.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Welcome and let me pass on what I tell all my friends that are new to handguns. IMHO Glocks are the best gun for a beginner. Why you ask? Very simple to make go bang, always go bang, and easy to keep going bang. Glocks are very easy to use, Load it once and its good to go, all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger. Very reliable Glocks run really well, high quality. Finally they are very easy to field strip and low maintenance. Clean it after the range load'er up and you have yourself a fine CCW.

Why dont I own one? Simple, I have grown up on DA/SA pistols. For me to be able to go into SA is a huge factor for me. I am not really comfortable shooting DAO pistols, just not my liking. I think Glocks are great pistols. Sometime I might pick one up and just force myself to star adapt to the DAO world.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and be safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links