3" 1911 Options

3" 1911 Options

This is a discussion on 3" 1911 Options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys- I decided on a 3" 1911 for concealed carry, I will carry it IWB, I would also consider a CCO 1911. So I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3" 1911 Options

3" 1911 Options

Ok guys-

I decided on a 3" 1911 for concealed carry, I will carry it IWB, I would also consider a CCO 1911.

So I am looking to gather opinions on who you think makes the best 3" 1911, price should also be an important consideration.

So lets see some pictures and hear some opinions.

Thanks
    Josh

Also if you could include pictures of your IWB carry of a 1911 include those also, as I am researching this carry option.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I chose the Springfield Micro Compact. Couldnt be happier with my choice.

1. Colt Defender
    2. Springfield Micro Compact
    3. one of the Kimber flavors
    4. Para Ordnance Slim Hawg

Comments on 3 inch 1911s and holsters

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I decided on a 3" 1911 for concealed carry, I will carry it IWB.
    So I am looking to gather opinions on who you think makes the best 3" 1911.
    I think that a 3 inch 1911 in .45 is a good choice for concealed carry because of the significant caliber, ease of concealment and typically good trigger feel. I use a Colt Defender myself, and don't know if it is "best", but do know that it works. I have not owned the other brands of 3 inch 1911s.

The small size of these guns is illustrated below in a photo of my Defender together with my Kahr MK9, a very small 9mm gun. Both the Defender and the MK9 have 3 inch barrels, weigh 24 ounces empty, and have a slide width of 0.90 inches. The Kahr has a shorter "two finger" grip so is slightly easier to conceal, of course.

I wanted to comment on your planned IWB carry mode. While a 1911 is easier than most handguns to carry IWB due to the thin 0.90 inch slide width, I don't think you pick up a lot of concealment advantage carrying the 3 inch gun IWB compared to a 4 or 5 inch 1911. That is because in a typical high riding OWB belt holster the 3 inch 1911 doesn't really extend much below the belt line anyway. So you only are hiding about one or two inches of the gun inside your pants, and the grip is still sticking out there in either case, IWB or OWB.

It seems to me that the discomfort of IWB hardly justifies its use for a very short gun. Note the photo below of my Defender in a high riding Kirkpatrick OWB holster, and how little of the gun goes below the belt loops. A normal cover garment easily covers the gun without much possibility of "peeking".

I'll chime in against going with Kimber.

I had a 3 inch ultra carry, and when it worked, holy G0D...it worked like a charm. Nice gun.

Then the plunger tube came off...then it started to get stoppages with everything from Hydrashock to FMJ.

Then I sent it back to Kimber unreliable and they returned it with a broken recoil spring.

I called them and it took them two weeks to send me a replacement part.

Mind you, they are in Westchester County, NY, I'm in Fairfield County, CT so this isn't exactly shipping parts from China.

They were unresponsive to my phone calls and didn't seem to believe returning a gun I sent in for service in an unfit condition was a big deal.

I sold it the day I got the new part installed.

If yours works, you will be happy.

If yours doesn't, you will be miserable till you rid yourself of it.

I carry a Sprigngfield Micro a lot. I'm one of those people who does not find IWB carry uncomfortable at all. I carry a Commander, Micro or J Frame that way depending on dress. A Micro does, IMHO carry differently than a Commander or full size 1911. It does need a good holster design and a good belt to go with it. I find it is my favorite hot weather, light clothing firearm. I can conceal it under a loose tee shirt no problem. The extra barrel length and grip length of a full size is not so easy, for me, under a tee shirt. The Commander is a good compromise but still not as easy, again for me, under a tee and wearing shorts. If it's really, really hot then the J Frame just flat disappears under my lightest clothing.

As for shooting, I've topped 4,000 rounds through mine. I think I like it!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Pogo 2 do you have a picture of the pictured holster on your hip? I would be interested in this mose of carry if it was suitably concealed under a t-shirt, which is my daily dress with jeans, I have always heard OWB was more comfortable than IWB so I would be interested in seeing pictures......

I like the CCO because the slide is long enough NOT to require the Seecamp designed dual-captured recoil spring set-up. I had a Springfield Loaded Micro Compact (great pistol!) but I found the longer slide on the CCO carried just as easy & shot/handled quite a bit better.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I carry the Kimber Compact or Colt Officers ACP. The Compact has the short grip length but a 4" slide for added reliability. It has proven to be a good gun and very easy to conceal IWB. I use a simple Bianchi #100 for this one. The Colt has the same short grip length and a 3.5" slide. I really don't find any difference in concealing one from the other because for me, the challenge come in concealing the grip length, not the barrel length.

You can see there isn't much difference between the two on the left in this pic. Both carry very nice, albeit a little heavy due to all steel construction. I'm good with that though.

High ride OWB holsters for 3 inch 1911s

Pogo 2 do you have a picture of the pictured holster on your hip?
    I don't have photos of the holstered gun on my hip, and that is one of my next projects. I guess it is easier to photograph the gun/holster lying on a flat surface than to take a shot of it on your belt. But I am going to do that soon.

So I scrounged around on the Internet and found this shot on the Kirkpatrick Holster website of a 3 inch 1911 (looks like a Kimber Ultra) in the same holster I have, the model 2145 Compact Undercover. I think you can see from the belt loop location where the holster would ride relative to the belt:

And Kirkpatrick is certainly not the only maker of high riding OWB holsters for 3 inch 1911s. Here is a Mernickle PS6 holster with a 3 inch 1911:

And here is a Black Hills belt slide holster with a 3 inch 1911:

Thanks Pogo 2 that really helps me understand where the gun would ride on the belt....it makes me feel comfortable that a t shirt would hang low enough to cover the end of the barrel my only problem with that is the shirt printing against the gun if the waist of the pants isnt "breaking up" the outline, any input?

Also does everyone feel draw from an OWB holster is faster than an IWB holster? Or can practice make them comporable.

Also does anyone have the street prices of some of the 1911's some seem to pricey other seem right in my price range from what I have found on gunbroker but I have found that isnt always the best indicator of actual gun store prices.

BTW I live in Blacksburg Va which is in the southwestern part of the state for a geagraphical reference on pricing information.

T shirt cover garment

Thanks Pogo 2 that really helps me understand where the gun would ride on the belt....it makes me feel comfortable that a t shirt would hang low enough to cover the end of the barrel my only problem with that is the shirt printing against the gun if the waist of the pants isnt "breaking up" the outline, any input?
    I have worn a t shirt as a cover garment and it extends about 6 inches below the bottom of the holster, so "peeking" isn't a problem. Not all t shirts are equal, of course, and if you are using one to cover a gun I have found that it should be:

1. In a darker color, such as gray, black, navy blue, forest green, dark red, etc.
    2. Constructed of heavy cotton rather than light cotton.
    3. Cut with a longer tail rather than a shorter tail.
    4. Large enough in the waist area to hang straight down and not cling to the gun.

Your build is also important, and it is best if you are not overweight or too large around the middle compared to your chest and hip measurements.

Finally it is important to have a good, stiff double thickness gun belt of about 1.5 inch width and keep it firmly cinched around your waist to keep the holster and gun from sagging or flopping around. A proper gun belt from a gunleather manufacturer will cost about $60 to $80, but it is worth it.

You asked about gun pricing. I bought my Defender slightly used for $700 about 1-1/2 years ago from the original owner. A new Defender these days is probably in the $850 range. I believe the 3 inch Kimbers and Springfields are in the same ballpark for a basic model.

Just brought this one home yesterday. Haven't fired it yet.

Had this one: with no problems to report. Colt Defender w/CT grips

Not a 3 incher but can conceal: Ed Brown Kobra Carry

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links