CCW Decisions?

This is a discussion on CCW Decisions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am going to be getting a gun for CC I'm having some problems deciding what to get. Here's the options: Kahr TP45 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Decisions?

CCW Decisions?

Hey everyone, I am going to be getting a gun for CC I'm having some problems deciding what to get.

Here's the options:
    Kahr TP45
    Para Ordnance CCW
    XD45 compact

I've been around guns all my life and have shot all kinds, but this will be the first handgun that I will own. I like the 1911 style pistols, but I'm not really comfortable carrying a single action "cocked and locked", hence the Para LDA. I like the Kahr and the Para because they are thin for carrying IWB, but I don't like the lower mag capacity. I like the XD for the higher capacity, but I don't know if it will carry IWB comfortably because of the width (I'm 5'11" and 170lbs.). I know it comes down to what fits me best and what I shoot best, but I would like some opinions. Oh, and I'm not getting a Glock (no offence Glock guys) I don't like how they feel in my hand.

Oh yeah, I am actually going to get a 9mm also because my wife wants to learn to shoot, and get her CC licence It's going to be a Kahr cw9 or XD9sc (no safety on the Kahr kinda scares her though).

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well, I'm not overly thrilled with the XDs, I had a Para CCW LDA and I loved it, I should have kept it, the only thing I didn't like on it was the abbreviated beavertail, I didn't feel like fussing with it at the time so I sold it off, big mistake, I also don't care for the new "Griptor" grooves on the new Paras, they just didn't work well for me. Another gripe I have about Paras is that the Parakote finish doesn't hold up very well IMHO compared to other finishes available....

Ok scrap that, get the XD 45C, so you won't have the lower round count to worry about if it's a legitimate worry.

It should be plenty small enough to hide as I know more than a few people here hide XDs pretty darn well.

The best advice is always to see which feels better in the hand and if you can, shoot both before deciding.

I agree also get the xd 45 if it fits you, I have two xd's a 4" 45acp. and a 9mm sub compact. I generally carry the 9 because its easier to conceal but when heavier colthing dictates I go with the 45. I personally have had no trouble with reliability from the springfields they feed everything I've put thru them. Good Luck

If your wife gets an XD-9 and you get an XD-45, she will know how to operate your gun because it's operation will be identical to hers.

Maybe the same could be said for the similarity of the Kahrs, but you said the lack of a safety on the Kahrs bothers her.

Do you have the opportunity to shoot the guns in question, or even to let her and you hold them to see how they feel in your hands?

Having similar guns may make disassembly and cleaning easier also.

All's I can tell you is what you think you want now might not be what you want once you start carrying full time..

Of the 3 I would take the XD..

I've handled the Kahr and the XD, but not the Para (similar to other 1911 style pistols though).
    I think the XD9 might be good for the wife, she held one and liked how it felt. The only problem is that I don't know of a good place to rent/shoot these guns close by.

Distinguished Member
    Aways fun--that is deciding on a new carry piece I keep thinking XD45sc for my self, so you know what way I am leaning. I have a XD9-sc and I find it to be a very fine weapon, don't think you would be disappointed at all.

Z

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    XD fan chiming in. XD40SC for me. I held the glock,and xd at time of purchase,and walked away with the XD. I love it. Flawless operation, accurate, easy to operate...

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

i would take a hard look the the glock 26 and/or 19. both are great 9mm carry guns. hard to beat a gun that will shoot right the first time out of the box.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i would take a hard look the the glock 26 and/or 19. both are great 9mm carry guns. hard to beat a gun that will shoot right the first time out of the box.

Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post

....Oh, and I'm not getting a Glock (no offence Glock guys) I don't like how they feel in my hand.

VIP Member
    I absolutely love SIG's so I am compelled to suggest you go shoot a couple before you plunk down your loot! The P-220 is legendary.

Of the guns you listed, I think I'd go with the XD-45.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Since you're considering the Para LDA anyway, have you thought about a 9mm LDA? They've got a couple different models that would be nice for concealed carry and still meet your other requirements (I think the "Hawg 9" is one model, possibly the "Slim Hawg" too but that might be .45 so I'm not sure).
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Since you're considering the Para LDA anyway, have you thought about a 9mm LDA? They've got a couple different models that would be nice for concealed carry and still meet your other requirements (I think the "Hawg 9" is one model, possibly the "Slim Hawg" too but that might be .45 so I'm not sure).
    Jack
    As Jack mentioned, there is a Para "Carry Safe" LDA in 9mm called the Carry 9. The Slim Hawg and newer, lighter weight Covert Black Slim Hawg are both .45 and the Hawg 9 is a small double stack 9mm which might be a little wide in the grip for comfortable carry.

Suggestion from left field

I thought about your specifications for awhile and the 3 guns in .45 caliber you mentioned. I personally would not pick any of the 3, for various reasons. But I would like to suggest another .45 that might meet your specifications.

That is the H&K USP 45 compact, a 25 ounce gun with 8+1 capacity and a reputation for high quality and absolute reliability. It is only slightly larger than the Kahr .45 and smaller than the XD and Para you mentioned.

I have this gun in .40 caliber, and have a very high opinion of it. I have carried it in the past and it conceals quite easily in the right holster. Here is a picture of the .45 version:

How do you like the USP in .40 and how many rounds does it carry? I would like to get a .45, but I'm not totally opposed to .40.
    The USP40 seems to be a little cheaper than the USP45 and I don't have a huge budget because I gotta buy two guns, two holsters, etc. (not that I'm complaining).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links