First handgun purchase... advice desired

This is a discussion on First handgun purchase... advice desired within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I am looking at a 9mm as I would like to get involved in a local IDPA ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First handgun purchase... advice desired

First handgun purchase... advice desired

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I am looking at a 9mm as I would like to get involved in a local IDPA club, plan on shooting a lot, would like the gun to double as a home defense gun, and my wife has expressed some interest in shooting a pistol. Concealed carry really is not an issue as I live in Illinois. Would like to stay under $600 and am considering the following:
    Glock 17, SA XD9, S&W M&P9, will look at a Ruger SR9, and have found what appears to be a nice Sig P6/P225 for half the price of the rest. Only thing I don't like about it is half the capacity of the others. Would love to hear what y'all think.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I think that if all fit you fine, you could buy anyone of those and be a happy camper.

Z

those are all nice guns. out of them all i would favor the XD

Consider a Glock 19. 15+1, makes a great CCW too.

A P225 for half of the others? Either there's something wrong with the Sig or you're shopping in a gun store that has unreasonably high prices for new guns. Shop around--a G17/G19 can be had for low 500's (new) if you do your homework.

ckd
    All are nice selections, but for CCW, the Glock 19 slightly smaller dimensions are by far the most popular of the Glocks for good reason. I would suggest trying all of them by renting or borrowing, and putting them through at least 50 rounds each to get a better sense of what feels the best to you.

If I might suggest, especially in a Glock, go with factory night/tritium sights, not only do you have the night alignment advantage, they're steel and substantially more durable IMHO. Glock factory magazines are very reasonably priced and you can use the larger 17 or 33 round magazines if you like.

Though I am a Glock fan through years of use, I would still select mainly based on YOUR range trials.

Good luck!

PSIShapiro, while you cannot carry concealed in Illinois right now, chances are good you will have a CCW law passed within a few years. So I think you should consider a weapon that is capable of easy concealed carry. For this reason I would suggest a Glock 19. I personally carry a 19 and I really like it. And CKD gives good advice: get night sights, although it will be $100 more, it is worth it. If you have to use your gun at night, it makes all the difference. My gun has tritium night sights and it is very easy to align my sights on the target. A dual-color set of sights might be a good idea as well (orange front, green rear), although the single-color green sights still work fine. You are on the right track with your choice of caliber, though. 9mm is a great choice for a first handgun, because you will need to shoot A LOT if you want to become a proficient shot. It is significantly cheaper than .45, .40, or .357 Sig. Later on you should pick up a more significant caliber such as .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by PSIShapiro View Post
    ...I would like to get involved in a local IDPA club, plan on shooting a lot, would like the gun to double as a home defense gun, and my wife has expressed some interest in shooting a pistol. Concealed carry really is not an issue as I live in Illinois...
    Since small size is not an issue, I would avoid the P6. They're selling a lot of those guns very affordably that are surplus German police guns, and while it's a fine gun for concealed carry I find it a bit small and light for general range shooting. I bought one to have a smaller gun than my normal full size guns and I find that I rarely shoot it.

I haven't shot an XD or the new Ruger, but a G17 and M&P9 are guns that you could shoot all day long accurately and comfortably. If your state does pass a CCW law in the future you'll probably be ready to buy another gun by then specifically for carry, so don't handicap yourself now needlessly.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I would suggest the M&P9. Almost exactly the same size as the G19 however the M&P9 is 17+1 where the G19 is 15+1. Also the M&P does have the interchangeable backstraps to customize the fit to your hand. I have the M&P40. I am 6'0", 125lbs. and I can conceal it with no problem what so ever under an untucked t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    while you cannot carry concealed in Illinois right now, chances are good you will have a CCW law passed within a few years.
    And this prophecy is based on what?
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

I've seen Sig 225's which were German police trade-ins for about $370.

If its one of those, then you should be fine.

I think that would be a great first gun because its a reliable, accurate weapon that is very easy to carry.

Yes, its got less capacity than the others, but then again, their is no free lunch. You gotta give to get.

If you spend less on the gun, you can spend more on a holster, belt, spare mags and practice ammo.

If you like the Sig, go for it.

The 225's are the real german issue SIGs that are refurbed to an extent by SIG and sold by Gander Mountain a lot of times. I came real close to getting one myself for I believe $300?

I'd go with the XD for what you're looking to do. Personal preference.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

You should try the Glock 19. It has an excellent feel, at least in my hands, and you only have 2 less round then the 17.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I think a .22LR pistol would be a good choice for a first gun. If you want to get a 9mm first, I'd suggest a used 226/229. That's just my personal preference though - there's nothing wrong with any of the guns you're looking at. Just pick the one you like the most and get it. There will be plenty of time down the road to buy the others...

Austin

I have an XD9 and have owned a Ruger P95. The Ruger is big if you ever decide to CCW. The pistol is rugged and very reliable. Built like a tank. I shot the P95 for a year in IDPA and tried to carry it. I was never able to master the double action, single action. I bought an XD9 service model and did much better in IDPA. I suggest that you rent and shoot several models before you buy a pistol. If you know someone that shoots in IDPA go to a range and shoot some of their guns.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rkhal View Post
    And this prophecy is based on what?
    Probably just based on what has happened in the rest of the nation. I probably would not get my hopes up if I lived in Illinois though.

Glock 17 or 34 would be my choice, with XD9 Service and Tactical not too far behind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links