Defensive Carry banner

New Carry Revolver

9K views 74 replies 33 participants last post by  jarhead45 
#1 ·
I have been trying to decide on a snubby revolver for carry for a while. I wanted something with more knockdown power than .38 Special and a bigger diameter than .357. Recently I started seeing reports about the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Special. So I decided I would try one. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and picked it up today. Unfortunately I did not use my brain and order some .44 Special ammo and no place I looked today had any. You and I both will have to wait a few days for some to arrive so that I can do some shooting. I will say that I like the feel of the gun. It is well put together and feels very good in my hand. I'll post again when I get some rounds through it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow!

You're in Bama...I'm in FL...I bet I'll be able to hear the 'report'...:yup:

I believe you are correct about the knockdown power, nice package of power!

Enjoy your new family addition!:hand10:

#5 ·
That's a really good way to say... "GET 'ER DONE!" :bier:

#10 ·
There, but for the manufacturer, go I.

I have craved a small .44 Special for a while now, but I must say I'm just a little leery of Charter Arms. This is not from personal experience, but only from hearsay, so I will be the first to admit that there is little hard evidence to justify my apprehensions.

Also, I really haven't heard too much about recently manufactured Charters. Maybe they're getting a better rep in recent years?

Good luck with it, the report is going to be interesting. Really give it a workout and let us know what the story is!

#11 ·
nice revolver George ! I been looking at something like that myself, especially in a high-end s&w scandium model in .45acp.
Depending on hows it gonna go with yours, I might even try one of those...
good luck.... I can't wait to read your initial findings....

#12 ·
If I'm not mistaken, Jim (aka ExSoldier) had one of those and had a few problems. They may have improved since then though, I hope so anyway. Looking forward to your report George, I'm a sucker for large bore wheelies so I've considered getting one of those myself.
Jack

#15 ·
I had a range session with another shooter's Charter Stainless .44 Bulldog a couple of years back and was favorably impressed. The lockwork was smooth and and the revolver was tight. It felt more substantial than a Charter Arms .38 snub I'd fired years before. Stoked with a load such as the Federal 200 grain semi-wadcutter hollow point a .44 Bulldog would be potent protection in a compact package.

#16 ·
I wanted to buy one until I looked at acutal shooting with that caliber. Most times the bullet overpenetrated. Not exactly a trait I would like in a carry gun.

#18 ·
Well, it will be several days before I get to take the Bulldog to the range, but if I get my ammo by Thursday I should be able to go that afternoon. For those of you that don't know I live in a rural area and it is 50 miles to a gunstore and 30 to WalMart. I know that the WalMart doesn't have any .44 Special. I ordered some from one of my suppliers and it shipped today. UPS may deliver it tomorrow, but most likely it will be Wednesday. I am off Thursday afternoon and I will go to the range if the weather permits.

I am really anxious to see how it performs. I usually carry my 10mm S&W, but there are times when I need something smaller. I hope that the Bulldog will fill the bill. I have tried putting it in the front pocket of dress pants and Dockers and it feels good there.

If everything works out, I should be posting a report on Thursday evening.

#19 ·
George, just a quick question.

Why the .44spl and not a .357? Is it the frontal area of the bullet you are considering. I believe that Kentic enegry of both rounds is similar. Is the .44spl suppose to be easier to handle in a snubbie that .357's?

I know I carry .38+p's in my taurus 605 for controlability.

Reread you OP and it is diameter, but let me know your impressions on controlibility.

#28 ·
Darryl, diameter is part of it. I have no problem with .357 with a 4" barrel, but I just cannot see shooting a full house .357 load out of a 2 to 2.5" barrel and being either comfortable or accurate with it. For some people it may be possible, but with my wrists I can's see it for me. The .44 Special has with 180 to 200 gr. JHP projectiles put out about 300 ft/lbs of of energy. .38 Special about 180 ft/lbs. From my experience in other pistols the .44 Spec. is easier to fire than the .357 Mag. So with the .44 I get significantly more energy in a larger diameter bullet with no significant difference in the feel from .38. I will have to verify this with actual firing of the Bulldog. I don't expect it to be much different from firing a S&W 638 with +P, but I do expect to create a significantly bigger hole and apply significantly more energy to the target.

The only other revolvers that fit the specs that I had created for myself were the S&W Model 25, 325, 625 in .45ACP, S&W Model 24 in .44 Spec., Taurus 445 in .44 Spec., and Taurus 455 in .45ACP. The S&W models have 3" barrels which would be a bit long for pocket carry. The Taurus models have 2" barrels, but are not commonly found. The Charter Arms Bulldog filled all the specs and was available. I may decide I don't like it, but I plan to give it a good trial.

Ammo will be delivered tomorrow afternoon, so if the weather allows I will be trying it out on Thursday afternoon.

#22 ·
My dad carries that same gun. He loves it for pocket carry and never leaves home without it. As for performance we are both impressed with the accuracy. Of course we have both spent a lot of time with small revolvers. For practice, lighter loads shoot more comfortably than my .38 snubby. Heavier carry loads are a bit harder to control but still very managable.
I have heard a few bad comments on the newer charter arms but dad has about 1000 rounds down the barrel and has yet to have a problem.

#23 ·
Son of Sam kind of hurt that gun for awhile. It looks like a really nice gun.

#24 ·
Late to the thread George but - will be interested to hear what you think.

I have a certain ambivalence about Charter but - that said that sorta gun is unlikely to be ''punished'' severely with ammo quantities I feel and so will probably hold up just fine. I am thinking I guess of not only my old Pathfinder, which went loose (badly tho it was old) but other reports of loosening.

Nice platform tho for sure and probably feels pretty good with those grips. I do think the .44 spl is a very effective round for carry and a good compromize too with power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.