What has similar grip size to Glock 19?

This is a discussion on What has similar grip size to Glock 19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has small hands. She rented a Glock 19 at the range today, and was surprised that she could handle it. She was less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has similar grip size to Glock 19?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

My wife has small hands. She rented a Glock 19 at the range today, and was surprised that she could handle it. She was less fond of the Glock 26, but it was OK, too. Previously, she had felt that the Bersa Thunder .380 CC was just right for her hands.

Any comments on the Bersa Thunder 9 UC grip size vs. the Glocks? How 'bout Kahr or some other brand? My hope is that someone can say, "Yeah, I have them both, and they're pretty much the same size" or "WAAAY bigger on the ___" so I can decide how vigorously to hunt down a [insert brand with similar grip size] for her to try.

Cost suggests that the Glock may be somewhat out of reach. The Bersa would be within reach. Not sure we want to go with Kel-Tec. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

honestly, if she can handle the glock, I would say to save for a few more weeks (or whatever) and get one. A glock is far superior (in terms of reliability and durability) to the other pistols you mentioned.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

the Springfield XD has a similar grip size to the glock, just a tad smaller thickness wise. my wife chose the XD over the Bersa .380 because the Bersa had a suprising amount of muzzle flip compared to the XD9 she likes to shoot.

JD
    Administrator
    The S&W 9mm and 9mm Compact, HKP2000, HKP2000SK are relatively close to the dimensions of the G19. I've been looking for a polymer 9mm for a while and the wife suggested I look at the P2000SK, it was too small for me, so I looked at the standard P2000, the grip is so much nicer IMHO than the Glocks.

The inter-changeable back straps make it quite nice, Lima has compared the two to much extent and finds the M&Pc to be much more comfortable in her hands.

The HKP30 should be very interesting with it's inter-changeable back straps and grip panels.

The Kahrs are nice smaller guns, but they are too small for me to even think about shooting a lot, I like the gun to fill my hand comfortably, and that means either a double stack 9mm or a 1911. All the others just don't feel right.

I'd have the missus check out the M&P line up

The Glock 19 uses the same frame as the Glock 23 ! My wife is 5' tall and handles the Glock 23 with good marksmanship! On the other hand the Glock 19 is easier to control when firing. The Glock is very easy to strip & clean> The Glock is one of thee most reliable handguns on the market and to me reliability is thee most important quality to have in a handgun.

I would look for a good, slightly used, Glock compact (19, 23, 38, 25, 32), depending on what caliber your wife is looking for. Generally, you can save about $100 over a NIB Glock.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

A 2X4?

Just kidding, I carry a Glock. But I will second the advice to just save up and get one for her if she likes it. I will also recommend the Springfield XD whole heartedly. My wife carries an XD .40sc (the sub compact sized XD) and I am currently saving for an XD of my own. I love the grip on her XD. Much better for my hand than my Glock 23 but I do love my Glock. I have mentioned on here before that I ride about 250 to 300 miles a week on my bicycle to stay in shape. During the summer months this year when the temperature here in Shelby County TN was hovering around 105 to 108 I would go out and ride 40 or 50 miles. Several times when I got home I literally shook sweat out of it. I mean a lot of sweat, like it had been dunked in water, and after all that, sweat, dirt and road grit, salt from dried sweat, my Glock has no rust and shows no wear.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

+1 on the Glock. If she was able to shoot it well then it's worth it. I feel your pain on the budget--but this is one area that you shouldn't skimp on. I know the Bersa Thunder has a great reputation, but how many cops are carrying them? Spend the extra $$ and get the Glock. You'll be buying a lot of peace of mind at the same time, and you'll never regret it!

I can also give a +1 to the XD. I started out with an XD40 and truly loved that gun. I switched to a G27 for concealability, and the grip fit my hand a bit better (slightly longer reach to the trigger, which helps me). The Glock definitely has the edge on the finish, but either gun should be flawlessly reliable.

Delay the purchase if needed, but get the 19. It's an outstanding weapon.

I have both the Glock 19 and a Kahr PM9. I tried a Glock 27 subcompact before getting the 19 compact, but the combination of shorter grip/snappier .40 cal round made it very hard for me to control the 27 in terms of regaining a sight picture after each shot. Even a pinky extension didn't help, since my hand still had less surface area to grip on the backstrap.

After settling on the 19, I later bought a Kahr PM9. Even though they both fire the same round, the PM9 is smaller and lighter, and therefore MUCH snappier. After firing the recommended 200 break-in rounds, the skin on my thumb knuckle closest to the wrist (next to the web) was rubbed raw by the beavertail area of the PM9. The next several rounds fired from the 19 felt like I was shooting a BB gun in comparison - the larger mass just absorbed the recoil so much more than the PM9!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Administrator
    I going to say hold the course and pony up for the G19. If you have to wait awhile, so be it. Buy a used one, and it will only be slightly more expensive than the alternatives. Its been my experiance with guns that if you go the cheap route, you will be buying twice... then what have you really saved?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    What do you all think about Hi-Points? (joke)

The Glock 19 is a touch too big for her pack (Tommy's Original), while the Model 26 fits the pack nicely and she says fits her hand as well.

QUESTION: Aside from initial cost (and ignoring arguments about wife's value, your favorite, you-get-what-you-pay-for and such), is there any real reason NOT to go with the Model 26 for wife's carry pistol? I'm thinking of such arguments as "the DA won't like the trigger" or "She'll need extra practice to ___ on this type of gun" or the like.

It really sounds to me as though I ought to just toss all of my research into the various compact 9mm options, and just suck it up and buy the gun that 1) I know fits and 2) is highly recommended by all sorts of folks who I respect.

Or get the Model 19 and a bigger pack?
    Last edited by Paymeister; November 4th, 2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: (added 'bigger pack' idea)

If she likes the 19 she should have no problem with the 26. Albeit the grip is a little shorter, but a pierce extension should help. As far as the trigger and manual of arms it is exactly the same as the 19. You could even use G19 or G17 mags in it with a A&G grip extender.

I would say if she is happy with the 19, but not happy with the tommies bag, take her out on a shopping trip to find the perfect accessory she loves that fits the 19 and get her the 19.

IMO, the key is to keep a smiling face and let her choose (without her thinking that you in any way/shape/form dis-approve). Show her that you are happy to spend an unrational amount of $ to accessorize the handgun that you want her to carry/use (she may be thinking that your expectation of her carrying/using is unrational).

My wife does not look at a firearm the same as me. I will dress around, compensate for, etc. .. an effective projectile delivery system. My wife wants to be stylish, yada yada yada. We were at odds over this until I just went with what she took a shine to with regards to a firearm. After that, I supported her for whatever accessories she wanted (with the goals that (1) she would be safe/effective/efficient with the weapon and (2) she would carry it or use it more)

We have matching Glock 19's. She still won't carry, but she can use her 19 in the house or mine out and about if I become incapacitated. I think that after her first real scare, she will change her mind though.

In any case, I wish you well. If you can do it, get your wife equipped the way she feels comfortable.

I always hated Glocks until I tried the 19, now it's what I carry. IMO it's the perfect balance of concealability, capacity and accuracy. The grip on the 26 is just a tad too short for my taste but provided they fit the shooter, I think they're both good weapons.

As much as I like my G19, I think the S&W M&P Compact is ergonomically superior. If I'd tried one before buying my Glock it would've been really hard deciding between the two. I think Glock may have a slight advantage in accessory availability though (mags, holsters, aftermarket parts, etc).

Don't forget, layaway is your friend!
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links