PA-63

PA-63

This is a discussion on PA-63 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a cz-52 for quite some time because I like the design, like the caliber, it fits my hand well, and I preffer ...

Thread: PA-63

PA-63

I've been carrying a cz-52 for quite some time because I like the design, like the caliber, it fits my hand well, and I preffer large frame autoloaders. My opinion, however, has recently changed.

I've had the opportunity to recently carry an FEG PA-63. I shot it quite a bit before I carried it and found myself impressed with the accuracy with which I could use the weapon. It fits my hand well, and the sights are adequate for the purpose. This last point is what has changed my thinking, "adaquecy for a purpose".

My CZ-52 is large and heavy. I recently lost thirty pounds, and had trouble concealing it through the summer months. As I live in PA, where open carry is legal, I sometimes gave up and carried it openly. It's also a punishing weapon to shoot. It shoots well, and it shoots far, but you don't want to shoot it too much. It's been dragging my belt down, and I've started to feel like I'm carrying too much gun.

In comes the PA-63. The size of the weapon is well matched to the purpose. It is not so small that it is impractical in my workman's hands, nor so large that it sticks out at odd places on my belt line. The light weight of the weapon makes it forgettable when carrying. The cz-52 constantly reminds me it is in fact by my side.

What is my point? The weapon must fit the purpose. As a combat arm, I would have liked to have had the CZ-52 at some points in my life. The high velocity of the round would have proven usefull in such a comparatively small package. However, the PA-63 is a weapon more suited for civilian use, and at a price that may be absorbed if one is confiscated for an investigation, or if one simply desires to have a "range" gun and a "carry" gun of the same model. I am well pleased with it.

Jared McLaughlin

Learn something every day...

I was puzzled by your reference to PA-63 so I did a Google search and learned what you were talking about. It seems to be a Hungarian gun developed about 45 years ago, with aluminum frame, 21 ounce weight, a 7 round magazine in 9mm Makarov caliber, and blowback design. I found an article in Wikipedia and a photo of the gun on Guns America.

Wikipedia article on PA-63

And here is a picture of one for sale for $135 on Guns America:

Please excuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I was puzzled by your reference to PA-63 so I did a Google search and learned what you were talking about. It seems to be a Hungarian gun developed about 45 years ago, with aluminum frame, 21 ounce weight, a 7 round magazine in 9mm Makarov caliber, and blowback design. I found an article in Wikipedia and a photo of the gun on Guns America.
    Please excuse me for the lack of information. You are correct. The weapon is very similar to a Walther PPK if I understand correctly, and some parts may or may not be interchangeable with the same. The barrel is screwed into the frame, and the manual of arms is the same as for the Walther. It is currently being sold over the internet by J&G Sales for $100. I am considering purchasing a second.

The weapon seems rather well designed. I had a chance to poke around inside of it when I made a new extractor for it. There aren't many things I would change about it for the purpose.

Walther PPK influence

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMcLaughlin View Post
    The weapon is very similar to a Walther PPK if I understand correctly, and some parts may or may not be interchangeable with the same.
    I can definitely see the Walther PPK influence when I look at the photo of the PA-63. The shape of the slide and hammer, the design of the safety/decocker, and even the red dot indicating "safety off" are very much like the PPK, which was first marketed in 1928. Here is a picture of my Walther PPK .380 to illustrate the external design similarity. Walther also made an aluminum frame version of the PPK, although most of them are steel frame.

Looks like an "Oldie But Goodie". I have not heard of many people that carry a CZ-52, so I found that at least quite interesting! I've been wanting to get one of these with my new 03 FFL (curio/relic).

The PA63 certainly seems like a great deal...decent power in the 9x18. I have a .380acp Bersa which is probably somewhat similar, as it too is derived from the Walther design. Great gun!
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

I have a PA-63. I'll carry it backpacking, fishing on my boat etc. It has proven very reliable. Accuracy is good enough at close range. 25feet. I like mine. It is very handy and concealable. It's not a PPK or Bersa by any means. But a good gun. The 9x18 is plenty potent.

VIP Member
    The trigger pull on my PA-63 is horrendous. The DA pull in particular is so stiff that I can only pull the trigger in that mode only once with my index finger before needing an hour to recuperate.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Mine is chambered in .380 and is a very accurate little gun.

The only problem that I have with it is hammerbite. It eats the web of my thumb so I dont carry it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BAC
    I like the gun. Carried with for the majority of the day for a couple days now that I've been bogged down at home doing school work. My only complaint is the "thumb rest", which presses into my hip and makes the gun uncomfortable for a while if I don't shift it somewhere else. I'm ordering new grips between now and Christmas.

The "stock" gun is almost painful for me to shoot. Sharp recoil, hammer-bite sucks, and a tough 20 lb DA trigger pull. But one 15 lb recoil spring and one 9 lb trigger spring later, and it's as nice as any modern DA/SA gun. Definitely worth carrying, if you can find a suitable holster and swap out the grips.

-B

If hammer bite and thumb rests are a problem for some of ya, as well as the double action trigger pull, may I suggest a P-64. Steel frame, Walther ppk clone with no inter-changeable parts, made in Poland 1964 to 1975 or so. Great carry gun in 9X18. P-64 web site for support and info on after market springs and grips. Just a suggestion for ya, like mine so much my wife has the 442 now.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Hi, I have about $200 in a PA-63.
    Wolf springs,
    "Dennis" Grips.
    and a little slide holster for a Walther PP.
    Shoots great (SA trigger is one of the best) and very easy to carry.
    I feel it is an improvement of the PP. Lighter and safer to carry.
    Later,
    Doug

take a look at the polish p-64. it is a copy of the ppk. they even breakdown the same. great gun, steel frame, 9x18 cal, low price. after market woff springs are easy to get. extry mags are around $9.00. i love mine, it makes a great gun for the tractor.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links