Defensive Carry banner

XD Grip Safety Saved My Bacon?

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  raevan 
#1 ·
I cleaned my XD9SC yesterday. Loaded her up, and re-holstered. Didn't feel like it went all the way in, so I did the only reasonable thing: I tried to force it without giving it a thought. Not too hard, but much harder than I should have to. I looked down to see whats up and found that Belt loop had come undone at the bottom stitches. It had somehow folded over and got it my trigger guard. With a mirror I could see it pulling the trigger a bit. I think, although I am not for sure, that it actually pressed the trigger safety in too. Luckily, I try not to press on the grip safety when I holster. That little habit just may have saved me from having to tell you an embarrassing story.

The lessons:
1. The grip safety is good for something.
2. It's not a car part, so don't force it. I should have checked before trying to squeeze it in.

#4 ·
The lessons: The grip safety is good for something.
Something that many folks have never considered is the fact that the trigger and the grip safety require forces from opposite directions before the pistol will fire. I spent a lot of time pondering whether to buy a Glock or an XD. Although many believe that the grip safety is unimportant, apparently it is important to you and me.

#6 ·
I went with the XD over a Glock precisely because of the grip safety.

#8 ·
Thanks for sharing this with us. The grip safety is one of the reasons I switched from a Glock to the XD for my carry weapon. Glad it had a good outcome for you. Stay safe.
Mike

#12 ·
So is my wife. The last time I told her I was going to patch a hole in the drywall near our fireplace, she came home to find that I decided to remodel the bedroom on a whim and it turned into a 12 month remodeling project including a new fireplace surround, some custom shelving and desk, and a bathroom where one never existed. I'm almost done, honest!

#13 ·
Yup, if it was a Glock... B-O-O-M! :tongue:

I know someone who actually saw that happen to a guy. He almost lost his leg! Still does and always will walk with a hitch in his giddy-up.

#15 ·
When I reholster my Glock-36, by mind goes to a check list...
Finger off trigger...
Move shirt clearly away...
No blockage in holster...
Slowly insert gun into holster...

Stay safe...

#16 ·
My Neighbor walks with a limp because he jammed his .357 mag S&W into his holster and something blocked the trigger. I won't have a gun for EDC that doesn't have a manual safety. I carry a single action revolver when hunting sometimes but it needs to be manually cocked before it will fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.