For SIGMA owners/users only - Page 2

For SIGMA owners/users only

This is a discussion on For SIGMA owners/users only within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took the pistol to my local gun range today and here's how it went... First, I brought 3 boxes of ammo with me, all ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For SIGMA owners/users only

I took the pistol to my local gun range today and here's how it went...

First, I brought 3 boxes of ammo with me, all FMJ ball. Two were CCI blazer (1 box was brass cased and the other aluminum) and the other a box of WWB. Since this was to be a break-in/see how the gun works trip to the range, I wasn't too interested in using more expensive ammo or exotic self-defense bullets. That will be reserved for a later visit after my wife and I are more familiar with the gun and how well it works.

I got to the range and I hung two targets, one at 7 yds the other at 15 yds. After a quick check of the gun, I loaded the two magazines that came with the gun and fired 5 shots at the closest target. The first shot was a few inches high and to the left of center, while the next four rounds gradually stepped down and towards the center of the "X" ring. I then cleaned the barrel, put a light coat of oil on the slide and repeated the procedure. Of the five shots, one was a flyer several inches above and to the left (again) of center, but the others were all grouped in a 3" circle around center, with one dead center. I cleaned the barrel again, then fired 10 shots. Pretty much the same result as before. There were a few flyers, but most grouped around the center of the target in a 3"- 4" circle. I next moved to the target at 15 yards and had pretty much the same results. Though the circle of shots (20 rds) was 6" vs. 3" for the closer target, most were well within a 3" radius of center and probably half were "in the black". Actually, I think the sights were dead on at the longer range since more shots were in the center of the target when I was aiming at the X, while the closer target tended to have more shots just below the center when I aimed at the X.

I pretty much repeated the above procedure, mixing various brands of ammo, until the three boxes were empty. I tried single shots, double taps, a few 5 and 10 round rapid fire strings and have to admit I became impressed pretty quickly at the accuracy and reliability of the gun. I had no failures of any kind, the gun went bang every time I pulled the trigger and, believe it or not, I quickly became accustomed to the heavy, but even trigger and after a while wasn't even aware of the triggers pull weight.

After I got home, I broke the gun down for cleaning and was again surprised. Aside from a little powder residue around the chamber/feed ramp area, the gun looked as if it had not even been fired. There were no wear marks anywhere to be found and literally no dirt/powder/bullet residue anywhere to be seen. After a quick cleaning, I double checked everything and if I hadn't shot the gun myself, I'd swear it had never been fired.

All in all, I am very impressed with this little pistol. It's accurate, reliable (at least so far) and for the price, one OUTSTANDING value. Maybe I got a good one, or maybe the bugs have all finally been worked out, but the gun was a pleasant surprise after some of the reports I'd seen. Even the heavy trigger wasn't hard to use after getting accustomed to the weight and adjusting my grip and trigger pull for it. If the gun performs the same way with a few of the different defense loads I have, I just may end up getting another Sigma for myself!

Next will be to see what my wife thinks of it when it's her turn at the range. Even if she decides it's not for her, this gun will definately be a keeper.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

You found a keeper! My 4000+ rounds down my gun and it still looks new with little to no wear on it. Enjoy.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Nice report, glad to hear your happy with the results of the purchase.
    Seems most of the negitive posts about the Sigma I've seen are based off of the early versions, so it may be that the bugs have been worked out.

Hope your wife likes it as well, but even if she doesn't all that means is another gun purchase in the near future!

Sigmas

I don't own one myself, but I do care for a couple at a rental range and I do some work on them. If the trigger pull is too hard, a trigger job is actually easy. Not as easy as the Glock drop in stuff, but easy enough if you have a gunsmith willing to do it. We charge about $40 for it and it improves the pull a lot. No reliability issues on our rentals in .40 and 9.

Congrats on your purchase! I owned a Sigma SW40F for several years. Purchased on my 21st B-Day in 98 as my first handgun. Took my CCW class with it and scored the highest, although it wasn't exactly stiff competition. I was able to get some high capacity mags for it and carried it for several years. Ended up selling it to help fund the purchase of my first 1911. I never really had any problems with it. I can't recall any FTF and if there were any FTE I can't recall them. It was reasonable accurate and I had no problems putting rounds where I wanted them. The finish held up fine for the period I owned it. I did have one mag follower break but I didn't know it til I had finished firing the mag and ejected it. For $250 I'd buy another. Especially with 2 extra mags, a knife, and a rebate.

-RD62

me
    I think I may be going out today to the gun show to pick up a 9ve. I am looking for something that I can set up with a tactical light and keep for home defense. I think the Sigma will do very well for me as it has the same manual of arms and feel as my M&P at half the cost.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    For the money sigma is hard to beat.I have an old one which goes bang every time.I've shot it so much the trigger has smoothed out.You are right
    about magazines being expensive as I remember buying two 16 rounders
    right after band was lifted they were like forty each.I 've had mine going on
    7 years now and purchased many pistols since and sigma be relegated to
    truck gun service.

Well I picked up a Sigma (9VE) at a gun show today. I hope I don't have the issues that some have had. I just could not beat the price.
    Plus 50.00 bucks and 2 mags.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The SIGMA is like the CZ100. new shooters have no idea what a good trigger is like.
    That long and heavy DAO actually adds a safety factor that some people like.

Low price is usually a deciding factor with the SIGMA. I've shot one (40) and unlike my old Cz100, was unable to hit anything with it.

For polymer DAO guns.

1rst. Cz100
    2nd. Taurus
    3rd SIGMA
    99th
    Hi-point.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I have the SIGMA 9v, the older one. (New one is 9VE i think) Friend gave it to me for a present a while back (he upgraded to a new G 23). Shoots fine. Trigger is long but smooth. I enjoy it.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

me
    hey I wanted to run this by you all.

I picked up a 9ve this past weekend at a gun show and got out to shoot it today. I was shooting WWB 115 grain FMJ and was all over the paper. But I had 3 rounds of 125 Gold Dots that I put through it, the 3 Gold Dots where within an inch and a half of each other, low left (my norm). Is there some reason why this ammo would be all over vs what I did with the GD. I did not shoot any different.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Different bullet weights/designs/loads perform differently in different guns. What works in my gun may not perform as well in yours, even though they may be the same basic size or design. That's why most pistol owners who shoot regularly or have shot for a long time will tell you to try different loads until you find one or two your gun "likes" best. Also, guns are frequently designed around certain loads and perform best when those loads (or something similar) are used.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    i shot wolf thru mine the first time. go figure... it sucked.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Owned one for 2 years

I had one for two years but sold it because I could not get used to the trigger. (plus I wanted a 1911) The sales guy said I would get used to it but after around 600 rounds and two years and many dry firing, it was still hard to keep it pointed and pull the trigger. 100% reliable.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

I have Sigma 40 V; It goes bang every time on Winchester ammo
    The Truth Out Lives A Lie!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links