For SIGMA owners/users only - Page 3

For SIGMA owners/users only

This is a discussion on For SIGMA owners/users only within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After putting about 200 rounds through a used sigma 9mm, i'd say don't trust your life to it. Was having tighting groups w/ a Sig ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For SIGMA owners/users only

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    After putting about 200 rounds through a used sigma 9mm, i'd say don't trust your life to it. Was having tighting groups w/ a Sig 220 (.45acp) from further out, and had like 3 FTF's 1 FTE w/ the sigma. Granted it was the older version the 9v, but still... The trigger is disgusting after shooting the sig, just sickening. CLUNK CLUNK BANG (or maybe no bang) CLUNK CLUNK. XD service 9mm here i come. Disreguard previous post about having a long but smooth trigger pull. I thought this was the case until I expereinced the sig, and based that judgment off of 2mags. Shame on me, know better next time i guess.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

B52
    Silence, try a Glock you will never go back! I had a SIGMA once and hated the trigger. I love my Glock!

LAtest (and probably final) UPDATE:

My wife has shot the new SIGMA 50 times now and seems happy with it. I have also shot about 50 additional rounds through the gun since my initial trip to the range. So far there have been no malfunctions with 250+ shots fired from the SIGMA and the trigger is much easier to use that I originally thought it would be. In fact earlier today, my wife went to Dallas on business for the week - about a 2 hour drive - and took the pistol along as a truck gun.

FWIW, the timing couldn't have been worse as far as the SIGMA goes. In the mail today (just after she arrived in Dallas ) we received the free 16 rd mags from S&W that were offered as part of the promo that S&W started in November. We haven't received the $50 rebate yet, but I'm happy we now have a pair of 16 rd mags to go with the 10 shot set the gun came with. It's too bad she had to leave just a few hours before they got here, but if the 20 shots my wife currently has available aren't enough should she find herself in need of using her gun, I don't know if an extra 10 rounds would help much either...

Anyway, for those of you who have sent in your rebate to S&W, the two mags took about 4 weeks and I expect the rebate check will soon follow.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Thanks for the update and glad your wife likes the gun. That is all that matters in the end.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I finally tried my .40ve today and the trigger was long. This was my first time shooting and there was a guy who told me to start from at least 7 ft. from a paper target and I was nailing that sucker like a champ. I stepped out to 16 ft. and it would go everywhere except the target( It wasn't that bad). Anyone upgrade thier sights. Any particular brand? BTW I like the gun except for the trigger but I will probably have iot worked on.

well, I was at the range and I was given some pointers by other shooters and I let someone fire a clipand it ''stovepiped'' is the term he used when the bullet casing stayed in the gun. He was rapid firing the Sigma.I was using 170 gr. fmj from fiocchi. Anyone ever had that happen in any sigma?

Glad the sigma is working out OK.

Our service pistols were .40 caliber sigmas for several years.

The good:
    A very accurate pistol. At 7 yards, I could keep all rounds inside the Q.

The bad:

Horrible trigger. I see that has been mentioned many times in the thread.

We would qualify/train twice a year on the range with it. I have never made it through a qualification day without at least one failure to feed.

The follower in the magazine will readily break if you drop an empty magazine on a hard surface. Be aware of the magazine impact area when practicing mag changes.

Randy

ETA I see the purchase has been made. Good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by del slo team View Post
    well, I was at the range and I was given some pointers by other shooters and I let someone fire a clipand it ''stovepiped'' is the term he used when the bullet casing stayed in the gun. He was rapid firing the Sigma.I was using 170 gr. fmj from fiocchi. Anyone ever had that happen in any sigma?
    Sounds like the guy limp wristed it! The slide did not have full power to eject the round due to it. Easy to do with a light full size gun like the 40VE. The 40VE will teach you proper trigger control and a good grip. Lots of good information out there on proper grip and it helps to dry fire practice a lot (it won't hurt the gun).
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I agree Mnburl! I rapid fired a clip and it did not ''stovepipe'' so I was stumped as to why this happened. I held that baby tight as I could and let her rip! it did not fail.

Definite limp wrist on the malfunction. I have well over 1,000 rounds of different ammo downrange in my 40ve. The only malfunction was when my wife fired some really hot jhp's I had reloaded. She handed me the gun and I shot several of the same ammo out of the same magazine with no problem. The powder charge was just too hot for her.

The sigma is a tremendous weapon and it's a shame that it gets criticized so roundly by some because the trigger is heavy. It's not a target prima donna and if you ever use it for self defense the trigger is going to be the last thing you notice. I would much rather have a 9.5 lb pull in a DAO than something between 4.5 and 5.5 lbs. It's safer. If I want to shoot targets I go to a full size DA/SA combat pistol. Light trigger, great accuracy. That's not what the sigma's about.

I have a SW40E. I was told it was a LE weapon and only test fired by their armorer. I am curious as to what is different with the "E" vs. the other Sigmas mentioned here. I have not heard of anyone having the same model. Mine has Night Sights, but I do not know if that is the only difference. I have probably put 1000-1500 rounds thru it and there have been NO failures. The trigger is/was definetely something to get used to, but each time I get more accurate.
    Thank you for any input!!

Mike

The E stands for enhanced. They fixed a frame cracking problem near the front of the barrel in the plastic. S&W also added the rail at that time.

So It is better and I would only get an enhanced model myself.
    MNBurl

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The E stands for enhanced. They fixed a frame cracking problem near the front of the barrel in the plastic. S&W also added the rail at that time.

So It is better and I would only get an enhanced model myself.
    IIRC, in the "E" models they also changed the grip angle somewhat (closer to a 1911's) and added the molded checkering on the grip.

Just got to say, the prices members seem to find the sigma at (i.e., $275-300) seem to be waaaay better than i can find them at any local gunstore here in middle TN. Standard price seems to be around 399. Any local recommendations?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links