For SIGMA owners/users only

This is a discussion on For SIGMA owners/users only within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is considering a S&W SIGMA 9 as her home defense/car gun or possible carry pistol when her LadySmith .38 isn't enough. She asked ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For SIGMA owners/users only

My wife is considering a S&W SIGMA 9 as her home defense/car gun or possible carry pistol when her LadySmith .38 isn't enough. She asked me what I thought of the little pistol but I really have no opinion other than I'm personally not that fond of DAO striker fired pistols. Anyway, I said I'd check a few of the gun forums to see what owners of the gun think of it. She likes the feel and weight of the pistol, it fits her hand well and the price seems very reasonable... $285 + tax NIB with a factory rebate of $50 and two free magazines with proof of purchase. The gun already comes with two mags as well as a S&W commerative pocket knife, so with two extra mags and the rebate she'd have the gun, 4 mags and a nice little knife for about $250.

I know a bit about the guns (the whole Glock "clone" business, the problems early models had, etc), but would like the opinion of people who actually own and or shoot one (preferably a gun made in the last couple of years and not one of the problem models of the mid 90's) rather than just opinion based on hearsay or personal bias by people who have no first hand experience themselves.

I told my wife I'd get the gun for her as a Christmas present if she decides she wants it, so anyone with personal experience - good or bad - please feel free to express your opinion.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

i bought a sigma two years ago, it jammed randomly no matter what ammo i fed it, the other problem was the awfull trigger, even after 700+ rounds it was long, and very hard pull, i had shot pistols my whole life and first time on the range with this thing i could not even hit the "life size" paper target at 15 yards, the trigger was thowing me off bad, i got better after some pratice. once i handed it to my brother (we where out plinking at cans) and he goes to shoot it, stopped and brings it back to me saying "its not working, how do you get the safty off? i cant pull the trigger" he just was not pulling hard enough... so after a year with this gun i sold it and bought a glock .23 not one jam, misfire, ftf ect.. after many 100's of rounds, and a much better trigger
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (3.9 KB, 72 views)
    Last edited by 40S&WMAN; November 5th, 2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: here is a pic' of mine in a galco rig....

My girlfiend owns one. She bought it new and has fired probably 300 rounds through it. Her only complaint is the DAO trigger. I expect the trigger to get easier as we put more rounds through it, but she has some slight arthritis in her fingers so that makes it tougher.

But we havent had a single problem yet, I've been pleased with it. $250 is a good deal too. I believe she paid $275 for hers.
    "A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes"-Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I have had a SW40VE for several years. I have had problems with the flatter bullet profiles feeding, but not with Federal Hydra-Shoks. I did need to send it to the factory for some maintenance, but turn-around was quick. I think I would use snap-caps for dry-firing.

Good luck with whatever she chooses!

I just bought a 40VE and have about 200 rounds throught it, I love it. No jams and no other problems at all. The trigger is a little hard but is almost a safety feature I like, similar to a revolver. Thats my 2 cents. For $250 you can't go wrong.

I've owned a 40ve for about seven months and have at least 1,000 rounds down range. My range time with the Sigma includes a large dose of rapid fire and normal slow firing. There has never been a malfunctionof any kind. It's very accurate and is solidly built. The grip is very comfortable. I would love to have one in 9mm.

You will hear unkind and I think, unearned criticism of the Sigma from some. The primary complaint is the trigger. It's long and measures about a 9.5lb pull. For me that means there will be no accidental discharges unless something really unusual happens. It's not a target/competition pistol however it will teach you "trigger control" if you want to hit a golf ball at 15 feet. I am very accurate with mine but then I've got a lot of range time with it. For a defensive handgun it is plenty accurate and easy to shoot.

I bought a new 9mm Sigma a few months ago and I only kept it for a few weeks before trading it in. To me, the trigger pull was horrible.

There was a lady in my handgun safety class that tried to qualify with her husband's Sigma, but she was all over the target. She just couldn't pull the trigger without using all of her strength. The instructor finally let her use his Glock, and she shot pretty well.

I, personally, would not recommend the Sigma as a self-defense gun...especially for a lady. That's just my .02 .

The trigger seems to be the major "problem" area with the Sigma (actually, triggers are the biggest complaint with most DAO pistols it seems) from the majority reports I've seen. Still, my wife is not planning on using it as a range or target pistol, so sub 2" groups at 25 yds isn't a realistic requirement in her case. As many have pointed out here and elsewhere, a heavy trigger on a DAO pistol with no external safety is also probably a good thing in helping to prevent an unplanned discharge. Also, since my wife shoots her LadySmith in DA mode most of the time anyway, she's accustomed to a fairly heavy trigger, though her little S&W is pretty smooth now after 20 years and who knows how many thousand rounds shot through it.

Thanks to all who've responded so far. I'll pass along what I've heard, do a little more research, then leave it up to my wife.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

FYI, I took a second look at the Sigma today and these are my impressions after closer examination...

First, the trigger on this gun is heavy. I used a snap cap to do some dry firing and the factory estimate of 9+ lbs is probably dead on. OTOH, contrary to what I've read, though heavy the trigger pull is smooth, had very little stacking and broke clean. After a dozen or so pulls to get a feel for it, the trigger seemed no worse than many DA revolvers I've shot. Of course this was dry firing, so the results could be different with live ammo, but usually triggers are pretty consistant whether using live ammo or not. All in all, the trigger seemed easy to use once you got use to the heavy pull weight.

This particular gun has a matte blue/black finish and the sights were the typical 3 dot type addustable for windage. I worked the slide a bit to see how easy it was to use. It was smooth and didn't bind or hang up, then I broke the gun down for a look inside to check the fit and finish. Inside and out seem good with no obvious imperfections or tool marks.

My one real gripe is that this gun comes with two 10 round magazines vs. 16 round mags that are available. The empty "test" case that came with the gun indicated the pistol had been made in the past year so I was a little surprised. We live in Texas and there is no mag/ammo restriction to worry about. Maybe that's why the dealer is offering it at such a reasonable price. OTOH, it does have a nice little locking blade knife (3") from S&W as part of the deal. Luckily, with the S&W rebate I'd get not just $50 back but two additional magazines of my choice if I buy the gun. I'd select two hi-caps and save the 10 rounders for the range if my wife decides she wants the pistol, or use the other mags if she wants to save a little weight by carrying 10 instead of 16 rounds in the gun.

After my inspection, I was pretty impressed with the little pistol, ESPECIALLY for the price. I don't know if this pistol is typical of all new Sigma's, but I'd say that even without the rebate/extra magazine offer from S&W the Sigma would still be a good deal. I'll take my wife back to the dealer to have some hands on time with the pistol, then let her decide if she wants to get it or not. Without actually shooting the pistol I can't make a final decision on just how good a value this pistol would actually turn out to be, but if my first impression is correct, I'd feel perfectly comfortable with either of us carrying this gun.

More to follow...

me
    Ok so I am not the owner of the gun but have been a frequent shooter. My Uncle owns a 40v, now lent to my other uncle as a CCW. The V series is not my favorite gun in the world, my uncle and I could never get the shot where we wanted it (All of my carries are DAO/Safe Action). My other uncle and my aunt have put many rounds down range and rather enjoy it. We have had no jams or misfires that I remember.

Now the 40ve. My former boss has a 40ve, It was much nicer than the 40v. I could hit my target with it without a problem.

I would have no problem picking up a 40ve for myself and a carry gun if I needed to pick one up for cheap to replace my current M&P if there was a problem.
    Last edited by me; November 6th, 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: addition
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

My friend has one and Ive shot it extensively. It seems fine, but the main problem is, the 16 shot mags are VERY VERY expensive...like $35-$40 per.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

i bought the 9ve last year, put over 100s of rounds through it, with only 2 failures. one was a dud round, the other was a mag problem. other than that, i've had no problems of any kind. it's not a target shooter, it doesn't have much in the way of resale value, and yes, the trigger is horrible. at first. if you shoot it enough, the trigger will smooth out. if you can shoot a revolver, you can shoot a sigma. IMO, the trigger made me a better shooter. my brothers also own guns; between us we shoot the sigma, a glock 23, a taurus pt1911 (which i fell in love with), a colt defender, a hi point .45, and a SW 3" 686. the only gun i have trouble with is the glock; the grip angle doesn't work for me. my brothers enjoy shooting my sigma, and don't understand all the ballyhoo about it.

most people on other forums who down the sigma have either dealt with the older models, or simply haven't shot one at all, and base their opinions on what they've read or heard from others.

the sigma (at least mine) does what it was designed to do: go BANG on demand.

My 40VE has 4000+ rounds through it without any problem at all. The trigger is heavy but smooth and very good ergonomics for my big paws

I mainly use it as my main home defense gun with a light on it. I trust it with my life. You can carry it in a good OWB holster all day long.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Update...

My wife and I took a second look at the Sigma (9VE) yesterday. After she had a chance to handle it, she decided that despite the heavy trigger pull, she liked the look and feel of the gun so we decided to buy it... just a shade over $300 with tax included. To be honest, I was a little surprised when she said she likes the heavy trigger because it made it literally impossible for her to have an AD with the pistol since you have to deliberately pull hard on that trigger to make the gun fire. I'd have thought she'd prefer a lighter trigger pull, but she looks at the heavy trigger as a positive safety feature rather than a problem that needs "improving".

Anyway, we brought the gun home and took it apart for inspection/cleaning. It looks clean, has no obvious imperfections and aside from that heavy trigger (my wife may think it's a safety feature, but I'd still like a lighter pull if it were my regular carry gun) seems like a very nice little pistol, well worth the money. Today I'll take it to our gun range for a quick safety/function check. If all goes well, my wife will try it out over the coming weekend. We also filled out the rebate form and mailed in the request for two 16 rd magazines with the $50 rebate. I figure the money can go towards enough ammo to break in both the gun and those new magazines.

A range report will follow...

I have had a Sigma SW9F (one of the original Sigma series) for several years now and have had no problems with it. Used it in a competition and our team took second place so it shoots rather well also.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links